Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO SYSTEM FITTING ADVICE!

The Mac

Hi Guys, 

Sorry to start a new thread but it seemed the easiest way to get it out there! 

I have recently taken over a good round with van, poles etc & DI vessels x 2. Basically the whole package & I am loving it. 

HOWEVER; 

I am  going through resin much much quicker than anticipated - TDS is 30ppm difference average comparison to the previous business owner who lives a 15min drive if that! Cardiff/South Wales is not known for for Hard water so this came as a shock!

TDS OUT OF GARDEN TAP; 100-101 - Either side next door neighbours garden tap read the same. 

I am looking at going to RO for water purification purely due to saving on Resin but am unsure if I would feel confident or capable fitting/installing a pre assembled unit etc. (Still getting to grips with everything) 

Does anyone know of any companies who will install or even better Sell & Install RO systems in the SOUTH WALES region or any who travel to install? Would feel much happier and peace of mind knowing its been pro installed.

Many thanks in advance, 

Hi Guys, 

I have recently taken over a good round with van, poles etc & DI vessels x 2. Basically the whole package & I am loving it. 

HOWEVER; 

I am  going through resin much much quicker than anticipated - TDS is 30ppm difference average comparison to the previous business owner who lives a 15min drive if that! Cardiff/South Wales is not known for for Hard water so this came as a shock!

TDS OUT OF GARDEN TAP; 100-101 - Either side next door neighbours garden tap read the same. 

I am looking at going to RO for water purification purely due to saving on Resin but am unsure if I would feel confident or capable fitting/installing a pre assembled unit etc. (Still getting to grips with everything) 

Does anyone know of any companies who will install or even better Sell & Install RO systems in the SOUTH WALES region or any who travel to install? Would feel much happier and peace of mind knowing its been pro installed.

Many thanks in advance, 

Give Doug @doug atkinson a ring at daqua he is very helpful and can supply what you need and talk you through it it’s not difficult to do 

Hi Guys, 

HOWEVER; 

Many thanks in advance, 

Only fit the purification system in the van if you either intend to travel and work away from home a lot, like me, or you don't have any room to store an IBC in a garage or shed. If you have the room it is far cheaper and a lot easier to do it outside of van and then transfer the pure to the vans tank. 

Only fit the purification system in the van if you either intend to travel and work away from home a lot, like me, or you don't have any room to store an IBC in a garage or shed. If you have the room it is far cheaper and a lot easier to do it outside of van and then transfer the pure to the vans tank. 
Forgot to mention I have room for a 1000L IBC tank & a large garage to house said RO system in. Apologies!

Hi Guys, 

HOWEVER; 

Many thanks in advance, 

This will show you how to connect the r/o up.

No matter which you buy they all operate the same. Tap water in to the prefilters, tap water out of the prefilters with sediment and chlorine removed, tap water into the membrane housing/s at one end. On the other end of the housings will be to pipe connectors, one pure and the other waste. The waste will have a tap/restrictor to regulate the water going to the drain and the other will be pure. The pure will go to a di vessel to polish the water off and then to your storage tank. Easy.

Yes, speak to @doug atkinson

I don't have room for an IBC tank at home. I'm currently using a 2 DI vessel setup and probably spending around £40 per month on resin. Would an RO system be no good for me? Got a 850 payload van so I don't think I'd want it setup in there.

I don't have room for an IBC tank at home. I'm currently using a 2 DI vessel setup and probably spending around £40 per month on resin. Would an RO system be no good for me? Got a 850 payload van so I don't think I'd want it setup in there.
If you don't have storage  / production space you'd benefit from an all in one RO / DI van mounted system 

You mentioned using a double DI, Is your homes water supply PPM reading high? 

Plenty of suppliers selling van mounted systems 

Pure freedom 

Ionics 

Varitech systems 

Facelift 

I can also recommend Doug at Daqua, I’ve just bought a 450gpd system from him and DI vessel and I can see why people recommend him. It was the easiest website to find what I need and it seems they make sure they only do quality stuff, he also knows what he’s talking about as regards setting up RO systems. They also seem to be the cheapest for good quality resin too.

I do have a question about an auto-shut off valve I need to install but I guess I’ll post that in a new thread rather than hijack this one!

If you don't have storage  / production space you'd benefit from an all in one RO / DI van mounted system 

You mentioned using a double DI, Is your homes water supply PPM reading high? 

Plenty of suppliers selling van mounted systems 

Pure freedom 

Ionics 

Varitech systems 

Facelift 
It's about 180ppm from the tap the last time I checked. It does work fine how I'm doing it but I'm wondering if adding the RO would save money long term.

It's about 180ppm from the tap the last time I checked. It does work fine how I'm doing it but I'm wondering if adding the RO would save money long term.
I personally wouldn't DI water anything higher than 85 but that's my opinion.

If you were to add a 4040 RO you'd only require around 11ltrs or resin to polish off the output of water and that should last ideally many months before having to change it 

You can get portable R/O's with booster pump to purify straight into van. Not cheap but will be cheaper in the, very, long run

https://purefreedom.co.uk/2400-gpd-high-volume-reverse-osmosis-system-40-hf4-with-large-booster-pump.html#

There's VAT on top of that

Just ask them to show you it works, also check how well the membrane works so check tap TDS, then check TDS before and after DI bottle. This should tell you if the membrane needs replacing or the resin needs replacing. If you can measure the waste / pure production level as well. Take a measuring vessel and a stopwatch / watch as this will give you a guide at the production rate as well.

I believe there was a post on here offering a portable R/O for sale 

Just ask them to show you it works, also check how well the membrane works so check tap TDS, then check TDS before and after DI bottle. This should tell you if the membrane needs replacing or the resin needs replacing. If you can measure the waste / pure production level as well. Take a measuring vessel and a stopwatch / watch as this will give you a guide at the production rate as well.

I believe there was a post on here offering a portable R/O for sale 
Cheers. The one I've seen is quite close to me and at £250 seems a good price.

Cheers. The one I've seen is quite close to me and at £250 seems a good price.
£50 would even be a better price but it doesn't make it any more useful. Personally, people who buy 250 litre tanks will have to upgrade them sooner or later as 250 litres isn't sufficient for a day's work.

When buying a used system you need to ask yourself 2 questions; why is the owner selling it and is it what I need long term?

IMHO the reason why he is selling it for £250 is that it requires new prefilters, membrane and resin replacement. That's expensive, so he has decided to sell it and upgrade. I maybe wrong, but that's the way I'm thinking. This could end up costing you another £750 to replace the r/o filters and resin side of it. Is it worth £1000?

£50 would even be a better price but it doesn't make it any more useful. Personally, people who buy 250 litre tanks will have to upgrade them sooner or later as 250 litres isn't sufficient for a day's work.

When buying a used system you need to ask yourself 2 questions; why is the owner selling it and is it what I need long term?

IMHO the reason why he is selling it for £250 is that it requires new prefilters, membrane and resin replacement. That's expensive, so he has decided to sell it and upgrade. I maybe wrong, but that's the way I'm thinking. This could end up costing you another £750 to replace the r/o filters and resin side of it. Is it worth £1000?
I was looking for more than 250l actually. You might've talked me out of it. I know the price of resin. Are the RO filters that expensive?

Back