Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Filtration van mount to static

Doddy111

I currently have the X line 750 auto flush all singing & dancing system on my van however, I'm adding another van soon so I want to set up a static system at home so the lads can pull up in the morning, fill up and go about their day. 

My issue is when I start filling the van I have to press a button on the 12v controller to begin the filling process, how would I work my way around this if I was to have it as a static set up? 

I've got another R/O (see picture) that I planned on using to set up my static system however, I then read if the R/O on the van doesn't have water running through it regularly it will dry up and be worthless so if I could put it all together and create a 'super' filtration system that would be a bonus. 

I think I maybe overthinking this and its probably a really simple solution but any thoughts lads & lasses? 

View attachment IMG_0424.HEIC View attachment IMG_0426.HEIC

Attachments

• IMG_0426.HEIC
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0424.HEIC
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Beyond my knowledge in a way, But is it not possible with  your current van set up can you not strip it out and set it up as your static set up, if not then not sure what you could do apart from strip out the pre-filters and membrane or just run it every 2 days to allow 20 litres or so to pass through,

Once the pre-filters are at the end of the service life you will need to strip them out anyway and maybe just have to run some water through every 2 days to keep it clean maybe. 

I currently have the X line 750 auto flush all singing & dancing system on my van however, I'm adding another van soon so I want to set up a static system at home so the lads can pull up in the morning, fill up and go about their day. 

My issue is when I start filling the van I have to press a button on the 12v controller to begin the filling process, how would I work my way around this if I was to have it as a static set up? 

I've got another R/O (see picture) that I planned on using to set up my static system however, I then read if the R/O on the van doesn't have water running through it regularly it will dry up and be worthless so if I could put it all together and create a 'super' filtration system that would be a bonus. 

I think I maybe overthinking this and its probably a really simple solution but any thoughts lads & lasses? 

View attachment 23988 View attachment 23989
I would continue to use your van setup the way you are now.

I would then purchase a used IBC tank and plumb the second r/o into filtering that water. A simple float switch and solenoid valve will suffice. When the lads remove water from the IBC tank the normally closed solenoid valve will open and start replenishing the water they have taken.

https://purefreedom.co.uk/auto-shut-off-kit.html

When You have 2 vans drawing water from a single IBC tank there will come a time when you will both want to fill up at the same time and there won't be enough water for both of you. Trust me, I know from experience in the early days with 3 vans.

Beyond my knowledge in a way, But is it not possible with  your current van set up can you not strip it out and set it up as your static set up, if not then not sure what you could do apart from strip out the pre-filters and membrane or just run it every 2 days to allow 20 litres or so to pass through,

Once the pre-filters are at the end of the service life you will need to strip them out anyway and maybe just have to run some water through every 2 days to keep it clean maybe. 
That’s my plan pal I want to take it all out and use it as a static but it’s just the 12v controller that’s causing the issue as it’d be plugged into the mains once set up in the shed 

I would continue to use your van setup the way you are now.

I would then purchase a used IBC tank and plumb the second r/o into filtering that water. A simple float switch and solenoid valve will suffice. When the lads remove water from the IBC tank the normally closed solenoid valve will open and start replenishing the water they have taken.

https://purefreedom.co.uk/auto-shut-off-kit.html

When You have 2 vans drawing water from a single IBC tank there will come a time when you will both want to fill up at the same time and there won't be enough water for both of you. Trust me, I know from experience in the early days with 3 vans.
Thanks Spruce, the window cleaning van my employee takes home and I doubt they’d want to be filling it up at their house. 

Current set up is- 

1 Renault master that is used for PW, roofs etc 

1 window cleaning van (750 x line one) with two lads working out of it 

Then I’m buying another van so that I can split the lads up (I’ve got a 800 litre tank to go Into that) 

I’m ordering a 2500 litre tank from Wydale so amount of water won’t be an issue it’s just putting my current set up to use on the static rather than just leaving it on the van to rot. 

I’m not great at explaining things but I hope that makes some sort of sense 

Thanks Spruce, the window cleaning van my employee takes home and I doubt they’d want to be filling it up at their house. 

Current set up is- 

1 Renault master that is used for PW, roofs etc 

1 window cleaning van (750 x line one) with two lads working out of it 

Then I’m buying another van so that I can split the lads up (I’ve got a 800 litre tank to go Into that) 

I’m ordering a 2500 litre tank from Wydale so amount of water won’t be an issue it’s just putting my current set up to use on the static rather than just leaving it on the van to rot. 

I’m not great at explaining things but I hope that makes some sort of sense 
OK. I would probably run them in your shed as two separate r/o's with a ball valve on each so you can swap them over to run each every couple of days or run them both together if that's required. (Running 2 r/o's together might be difficult due to water supply/availability and may need a booster pump.)

Once you get the storage tank full I believe a single 4040 will supply enough water for both vans. I would see how things go and then make a decision regarding selling the second r/o or not.

I don't know exactly how the Xline control system works but having to push a button to activate the r/o might not be an issue. You could do this when its convenient for you to process water. For example, I switch my r/o off from processing during the day I know my wife is home and will be using the hose pipe to water the garden. I just switch the r/o on in the evening when she has finished and it can fill my tank overnight if need be.

As @spruce suggested an auto shutoff. Basically a float valve with the connections wired to a 12v normally closed valve. So when tank full the float switch shuts off water to system. Very simple and straight forward. Then a transfer pump to fill vans.

If you have enough water pressure and flow then you can run the 2 RO in parallel to produce water at twice the rate of 1 RO.

I would be inclined to set both RO systems up in parallel to each other. So you alternate on a daily basis which RO is used. That way you always have a spare system setup and ready to be switched in should you need it. 

As @spruce suggested an auto shutoff. Basically a float valve with the connections wired to a 12v normally closed valve. So when tank full the float switch shuts off water to system. Very simple and straight forward. Then a transfer pump to fill vans.

If you have enough water pressure and flow then you can run the 2 RO in parallel to produce water at twice the rate of 1 RO.

I would be inclined to set both RO systems up in parallel to each other. So you alternate on a daily basis which RO is used. That way you always have a spare system setup and ready to be switched in should you need it. 
Exactly.

Adding a booster pump to run 2 r/o's in parallel will add another layer which I wouldn't want to deal with. Noise would certainly play an important part if neighbours are close by. (When my diesel heater kicks in during freezing weather I can hear it inside and I'm old and deaf.)

He would need to ensure the 2 r/o's together with booster pump aren't drawing more than the supply can deliver of a maximum of 12 lpm to adhere to the regulations. (Running a business from home and 'feeding' staff with water and their daily requirements can become an annoyance for the neighbours. He would need to keep everything 100% legal if an issue does arise. We have a builder on the estate over the main road from us. He has 2 vans and a 4x4. His neighbours continually make complaints about the noise and lack of parking on the street even although they all have off street parking. Even although most builder stuff is delivered to the site they are working at, some stuff gets delivered to his house. So they kick off about the lorries delivering during the day as well.)

We are on the right side of winter now so hopefully the cold wouldn't be too much of an issue. But  @Doddy111needs to prepare for next winter now so his r/o is protected against frost.

Thanks lads I’ve already got a booster pump with auto shutoff that I haven’t used yet- 

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/xline-shop/filters-filter-systems/filter-systems/240v-booster-pump-with-electronic-shutoff-detail

I’d be more inclined to run both RO’s so that I can produce water quicker. I’m going to keep expanding & adding vans so I’m hoping this setup can keep me going for the next couple of years and saves me the cost of having to get a unit. 

The shed will be getting insulated and is at the bottom of the garden so noise shouldn’t be a problem ?? (I hope) and I’ll look into the legal side of things regarding the water as I suppose they’ll put me onto business rates which isn’t a problem 

I’ll look into the legal side of things regarding the water as I suppose they’ll put me onto business rates which isn’t a problem 
As far as I am aware you are not allowed to 'suck' more than 12L per min from a domestic supply as it could lower your neighbours supply pressure!!! I have no idea how you get a 'commercial' supply. I am sure someone here will know. 

As far as I am aware you are not allowed to 'suck' more than 12L per min from a domestic supply as it could lower your neighbours supply pressure!!! I have no idea how you get a 'commercial' supply. I am sure someone here will know. 
Commercial supply is just another tariff.

Our supply at the back tap is 13lpm, so I couldn't draw any more than that using a booster pump. The thing we have to remember is that the booster pump must never run when flushing because that can cause issues.

Running 2 membranes together with a booster is going to cause issues with the water supply to the rest of the house though. If the toilet cistern or washing machine takes ages to fill or the upstairs shower just drips, then his wife is going to be after his blood. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Running 2 membranes together with a booster is going to cause issues with the water supply to the rest of the house though. If the toilet cistern or washing machine takes ages to fill or the upstairs shower just drips, then his wife is going to be after his blood. ?
Oh yea she’s already kicking off because I’ve had a 20 X 10 shed built and a 2500 litre tank is on its way, maybe it’ll be easier to just get a unit ?

A little update- the tank is in and ready to go and all parts are here. 

I’ve been staring at it for most of the afternoon and I’m still non the wiser so I’ve messaged Lee from Bladeright to see if he’ll drive up and build it for me, I know he’s just done the same for someone in Newcastle so hopefully he can sort it ?? 

The shed & tank will be getting insulated and electrics put in there so it’s ready for winter. 

I’m hoping this can be my base for the next couple of years until I can find the perfect unit

D584D0E6-FAE7-4379-8152-CAF2EEB958FE.jpeg

CD7ABCDE-5379-48BA-955F-DF7A99ED79C1.jpeg

CDAAB15A-9335-422A-85B7-9CAAFB30E93A.jpeg

811DB66A-FD6A-4C99-AD39-AAC3A73A8ADF.jpeg

I’ve been staring at it for most of the afternoon and I’m still non the wiser so I’ve messaged Lee from Bladeright to see if he’ll drive up and build it for me, I know he’s just done the same for someone in Newcastle so hopefully he can sort it ?? 

The shed & tank will be getting insulated and electrics put in there so it’s ready for winter. 

I’m hoping this can be my base for the next couple of years until I can find the perfect unit

View attachment 24533

View attachment 24534

View attachment 24535

View attachment 24536
Great progress mate. Hope it isn't mounted in that orientation as you'll flood the place haha ? 

View attachment 24533

View attachment 24534

View attachment 24535

View attachment 24536
Might be best to get the walls next to the tank insulated before you start filling the tank!! Maybe even insulate under the tank? I believe celotex type insulation can only take something like 150kg per square m. So you would have to have some timber supports as well to take the load.

It would be great to see it fully plumbed in.

Latest Posts

Back