Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Types of cleans

horatiocarter

Guys wondering how many people on your round actually ask you to do extras...

windows are the bread and butter obviously but what percentage roughly go for gutters..facsers (hate that word just can’t spell it! Etc as trying to put together a business plan to get a loan for a van and poles. Thanks for your help as always!

If you are considering a loan for a van and equipment think very carefully. That is a big commitment. Do you know how saturated your area is with windys? How hard is it to get custys in your area? Have you looked at Facebook to see how many are advertising, are there many windy when you google windy near me? How are you predicting growth are you just guessing? I know you have been doing a fair bit of research on here so I assume you have same amount of research on custys?

Not trying to put you off, just maybe consider starting off with small budget and using your car to see how it goes?

If you are considering a loan for a van and equipment think very carefully. That is a big commitment. Do you know how saturated your area is with windys? How hard is it to get custys in your area? Have you looked at Facebook to see how many are advertising, are there many windy when you google windy near me? How are you predicting growth are you just guessing? I know you have been doing a fair bit of research on here so I assume you have same amount of research on custys?

Not trying to put you off, just maybe consider starting off with small budget and using your car to see how it goes?
Can we what’s app? Got a bunch of questions around sites and also what your doing and I can share my business template with you! Hopefully you will find it helpful

Can we what’s app? Got a bunch of questions around sites and also what your doing and I can share my business template with you! Hopefully you will find it helpful
While I have run other businesses I haven't actually started window cleaning yet. Have last parts of my kit arriving Tuesday inc work wear but not able to actually start till end June due to Covid. So I am not going to be best person to advise on business templates etc. I post on here what I have learned plus experience from previous businesses and work (trained as electronic eng, worked developing Typhoon aircraft engines and the gas turbines for new aircraft carriers etc). 

While I have run other businesses I haven't actually started window cleaning yet. Have last parts of my kit arriving Tuesday inc work wear but not able to actually start till end June due to Covid. So I am not going to be best person to advise on business templates etc. I post on here what I have learned plus experience from previous businesses and work (trained as electronic eng, worked developing Typhoon aircraft engines and the gas turbines for new aircraft carriers etc). 
So window cleaning is a step back for you then and a less hassle/lifestyle change?

I won't advise on the appropriateness or suitability of applying for a small business bank loan.  However, the lender will want to see your business plan verified and sourced.  So any figures you use, they will scrutinise those figures and ask some questions about these figures.

Most people will use figures they have from running their business to date.  Others might do some authoritative market research and so forth.

Asking a bunch of strangers on a forum is not the way to use figures and data when applying for a small business loan.

There are schemes run by local authorities or charities that can advise small businesses and can offer assistance with business plans.  Take a look.  And good luck.

I haven't actually started window cleaning yet
Good luck over the next few months ?

I won't advise on the appropriateness or suitability of applying for a small business bank loan.  However, the lender will want to see your business plan verified and sourced.  So any figures you use, they will scrutinise those figures and ask some questions about these figures.

Most people will use figures they have from running their business to date.  Others might do some authoritative market research and so forth.

Asking a bunch of strangers on a forum is not the way to use figures and data when applying for a small business loan.

There are schemes run by local authorities or charities that can advise small businesses and can offer assistance with business plans.  Take a look.  And good luck.

It’s to get an idea of figures and then I can look to add my questionnaires conducted in my area I plan to launch.

So window cleaning is a step back for you then and a less hassle/lifestyle change?
I wouldn't say a step back as such. After engine development and then some shared data environments, as they used to be called (cloud storage), we ran holiday apartments for 15 years. So doing everything from marketing, maintenance, cleaning (including windows ? ), customer interfacing to name but a few tasks.  We sold the apartments in Nov 2019 - good timing with Covid! So then set about thinking what to do to earn a living, I was fed up with affiliate marketing although that continues, so wanted something practical and costumer facing as I quite like chatting as you can see ? .

Went through gardening, handyman, pressure washing (have a mate down south that does that), then came across wfp and though that looked interesting. Read lots, watched lots and though I could give that a go. Bought some kit (slx27, backpack, small RO, etc) and gave it a go on our bungalow. Learned a lot and my partner is good at inspecting and looking for faults ? which is very handy as I have to learn, don't want to disappoint custys.

Just ordered the final bits to get going - flocked brush, extra hose, transfer pump, ro shutoff parts, more barrels, boot liner for car, logoed work wear (just business name), business cards, working on leaflets, applied for business bank account. Bought rugged mobile and new number (easy for me to remember ? ) so now started promoting website as takes time for google to be kind to you ? 

I don't consider window cleaning a step down just something I can enjoy and eventually earn a living with.

OK so I have lots of training and qualifications but I will put money on not being the most qualified person cleaning windows. It's not about looking down on someone it's about YOU and how you feel about the work. I think you will need a thick skin as there are lots out there who think window cleaning is a menial job.

May I ask why you consider it a step down?

Good luck with business plan.

It can be easy to over analyse starting up as a window cleaner. 
If I was starting over again , I’d just buy a few barrels, a pole and a cheap trolley/backpack, Chuck them in the back of a whatever car I had, and get on with it. 

Once I had 15-20 customers, and was up to speed, and knew that window cleaning was for me , then I’d start sorting out a van , producing my own water, websites and Loans etc. 

I wouldn’t wait without good reason either.

I’d start canvassing tomorrow morning too  

Getting customers and doing a good job, are by far the most important things to worry about when you start. 

Last edited by a moderator:

windows are the bread and butter obviously but what percentage roughly go for gutters..facsers (hate that word just can’t spell it! Etc as trying to put together a business plan to get a loan for a van and poles. Thanks for your help as always!
We offer a compleat exterior cleaning service , softwashing ,pressure washing ,gutter vaccing, gfs Cleaning  , we don’t ask customers if they want xyz doing as we are always busy but many do have annual cleans booked a year in advance for the same jobs to be done , Ime sure if we spoke tk all our customers we could generate far more if this type of work , most customers already know and trust us and have BACS payments already in place so it’s good for them and us , one call for all they need cleaning .

We offer a compleat exterior cleaning service , softwashing ,pressure washing ,gutter vaccing, gfs Cleaning  , we don’t ask customers if they want xyz doing as we are always busy but many do have annual cleans booked a year in advance for the same jobs to be done , Ime sure if we spoke tk all our customers we could generate far more if this type of work , most customers already know and trust us and have BACS payments already in place so it’s good for them and us , one call for all they need cleaning .
I think this is what I would like to offer instead of just the one off monthly cleans. 

I clean everything ranging from 

Windows 

Gutters 

Pressure Washing 

End of tenancy 

Retail 

Hot tubs 

Caravans & motorhomes 

There's always work 

Very valid points. He could do a government NEA self employment scheme which mentors those wishing to start out. The course includes business planning, finance and as you mentioned tough scrutinising through the business bank and credit history. Very few people actually complete the requirements 

Very valid points. He could do a government NEA self employment scheme which mentors those wishing to start out. The course includes business planning, finance and as you mentioned tough scrutinising through the business bank and credit history. Very few people actually complete the requirements 
I’m on it more for the advise but it’s not been very impressive so far but a basic profile supplied is useful. Hence so many questions on here. But I feel that is needed as a part of my research as you guys have been and are doing it

I clean everything ranging from 

Windows 

Gutters 

Pressure Washing 

End of tenancy 

Retail 

Hot tubs 

Caravans & motorhomes 

There's always work 
This is quite the list! But the variety I bet is cool

Back