Jump to content

Should I be concerned?


Recommended Posts

Hi

I quoted a bungalow yesterday at £40 and told the owner it's 6 weekly only.

She texted me today and asked that I add her to my round for every 6 weeks initially.

I didn't quote a "first clean" price as I will only do so where I feel the job will take far more time than a regular clean.

But her using "initially" has set alarm bells ringing and thinking she's only going to use me for one clean only.  This is why I ought have have quoted a "first clean" price (I know, I know!). 

Would anyone else be concerned about the use of "initially"?

I think I'm going to decline the job on the basis of this singular word.  

I'm curious as to what others would do in this instance.

Link to post
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • NewGuy

    25

  • Part Timer

    10

  • cleaniac

    10

  • Pjj

    9

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing is, when you are relatively new to this game. It's all exciting, getting customers, having people recommend you, doing one-offs getting grubby properties clean. You know running a social med

She might not understand the "pure" method of cleaning and might not want to commit just in case this magic water doesn't work. She could still have dropped you after the first wash without the "initi

I carry out an awful lot of one off cleans for estate agents, those moving house and retail The way I see it is it's all money coming in to pay the bills.   You're not always going to a

dont you set your stall out from the off?

 

do you want a regular or one off clean?these are the first words out of my mouth...then i take it from there.....

 

no confusion,clear as pure water.....

Link to post

She might not understand the "pure" method of cleaning and might not want to commit just in case this magic water doesn't work. She could still have dropped you after the first wash without the "initially" comment. We don't charge first clean premiums but we don't "chase" customers.

Worst case scenario you'll go out and learn a bit more and only earn a one off £40. If it was a tenner then I'd be more hesitant but if she doesn't continue I'll assure you the lesson will stay in your mind and you won't make the same mistake again.   

Link to post
6 minutes ago, dazmond said:

dont you set your stall out from the off?

 

do you want a regular or one off clean?these are the first words out of my mouth...then i take it from there.....

 

no confusion,clear as pure water.....

Yes, and she said she wanted regular, hence me stating I will only do 6-weekly.  

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

She might not understand the "pure" method of cleaning and might not want to commit just in case this magic water doesn't work. She could still have dropped you after the first wash without the "initially" comment. We don't charge first clean premiums but we don't "chase" customers.

Worst case scenario you'll go out and learn a bit more and only earn a one off £40. If it was a tenner then I'd be more hesitant but if she doesn't continue I'll assure you the lesson will stay in your mind and you won't make the same mistake again.   

What mistake have I made? 😂

I explained everything thoroughly and she's definitely au fait with the pure water system.

 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

What mistake have I made? 😂

I explained everything thoroughly and she's definitely au fait with the pure water system.

 

Not charging an initial clean price would be the mistake. But as part timer says just do the job, worst case it’s another £40 in your pocket, best case she continues and then next customer you charge an initial clean price 🤷🏻‍♂️

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post

Oh what the heck...no harm in doing one job for £40 if it turns out that way.  As MX19 suggested, I should look at "best case" scenario.

Thanks chaps 👍

  • Like 2
Link to post
32 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

What mistake have I made? 😂

I explained everything thoroughly and she's definitely au fait with the pure water system.

 

In your initial post you didn't explain you'd asked what you posted in the first reply. You will get messers in this game no matter how hard you try to avoid them.

  • Agree 1
Link to post

Definitely do it. 
You have very little to lose, but you could possibly gain a decent long term customer.

She has no idea if your any good , or reliable or trustworthy , so she’s may just be giving herself a bit of room to manoeuvre. 
some just say do it,  and well see how we get on etc. 
 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
16 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

In your initial post you didn't explain you'd asked what you posted in the first reply. You will get messers in this game no matter how hard you try to avoid them.

Yeah I appreciate that but I need to change my mindset here and allow for the messers after I've taken their money, not before! 

11 minutes ago, Jaygti said:

Definitely do it. 
You have very little to lose, but you could possibly gain a decent long term customer.

She has no idea if your any good , or reliable or trustworthy , so she’s may just be giving herself a bit of room to manoeuvre. 
some just say do it,  and well see how we get on etc. 
 

She knows I'm good 🤣 

6 minutes ago, Markyboy 50 said:

I’m impressed that you can get £40 for cleaning a bungalow!

Quite a few skylights! 

Link to post

It’s all about selling your service and making sure the customer is 100% aware of what you expect of them , we will do one off jobs if we have time and are in the area but it will be 3-4 x the normal clean price , if a potential customer said initially to me I would be re explaining that they are agreeing to a regular monthly clean not a I might continue or I will let you know when I want them doing again , any hesitation on there part and we won’t be doing the job , not got time for messers .

  • Agree 2
Link to post
53 minutes ago, Pjj said:

It’s all about selling your service and making sure the customer is 100% aware of what you expect of them , we will do one off jobs if we have time and are in the area but it will be 3-4 x the normal clean price , if a potential customer said initially to me I would be re explaining that they are agreeing to a regular monthly clean not a I might continue or I will let you know when I want them doing again , any hesitation on there part and we won’t be doing the job , not got time for messers .

Problem is, she had a few quotes already. Said I was in the middle. I think by the time I arrived, she was well versed in what to say when I explained everything. I asked before anything else if she wanted regular or one off. She answered without blinking stating she wanted regular. So it does make me curious as to why she dropped in "initially" by text. 

I'm just a tad annoyed because I'd decided not to do one off cleans for now and focus on securing long term customers. 

I'll do the job for £40 and be prepared not to get another call. It will take 40-50 minutes of my time and result in £40 for the privilege. 

Link to post
1 minute ago, NewGuy said:

Problem is, she had a few quotes already. Said I was in the middle. I think by the time I arrived, she was well versed in what to say when I explained everything. I asked before anything else if she wanted regular or one off. She answered without blinking stating she wanted regular. So it does make me curious as to why she dropped in "initially" by text. 

I'm just a tad annoyed because I'd decided not to do one off cleans for now and focus on securing long term customers. 

I'll do the job for £40 and be prepared not to get another call. It will take 40-50 minutes of my time and result in £40 for the privilege. 

If you have the time to do it it’s worth doing as it’s £40 in your pocket , but again you shouldn’t be waiting for a call from her you should be saying I’ll see you in 6 weeks as agreed , if that’s what was said .

Link to post
11 minutes ago, Pjj said:

If you have the time to do it it’s worth doing as it’s £40 in your pocket , but again you shouldn’t be waiting for a call from her you should be saying I’ll see you in 6 weeks as agreed , if that’s what was said .

Yes that's what I'll do. I meant I'll anticipate a call cancelling the next job. Until then, I'll assume I'll be calling over the next time. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
16 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Problem is, she had a few quotes already. Said I was in the middle.

This sounds like, to me, she was impressed by your pitch and is waiting for you to show you do what you said you'd do in your sales pitch. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the views chaps. Getting fixated on a single word is my Civil Service training...need to let it go and go with the flow. 

Edited by NewGuy
  • Like 2
Link to post

Customers can cancel whenever they wish unless they sign some sort of contract. No matter what they initially say. I have a very good retention rate, but still lose customers....comes with the territory.  And after a while you will sense some of the ones as well as misjudging others as to whether they are long term customers.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
9 hours ago, Part Timer said:

This sounds like, to me, she was impressed by your pitch and is waiting for you to show you do what you said you'd do in your sales pitch. 

Could it have been Deborah Meaden of Dragons Den 🤔

  • Haha 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.