Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Should I be concerned?

NewGuy

Hi

I quoted a bungalow yesterday at £40 and told the owner it's 6 weekly only.

She texted me today and asked that I add her to my round for every 6 weeks initially.

I didn't quote a "first clean" price as I will only do so where I feel the job will take far more time than a regular clean.

But her using "initially" has set alarm bells ringing and thinking she's only going to use me for one clean only.  This is why I ought have have quoted a "first clean" price (I know, I know!). 

Would anyone else be concerned about the use of "initially"?

I think I'm going to decline the job on the basis of this singular word.  

I'm curious as to what others would do in this instance.

dont you set your stall out from the off?

do you want a regular or one off clean?these are the first words out of my mouth...then i take it from there.....

no confusion,clear as pure water.....

She might not understand the "pure" method of cleaning and might not want to commit just in case this magic water doesn't work. She could still have dropped you after the first wash without the "initially" comment. We don't charge first clean premiums but we don't "chase" customers.

Worst case scenario you'll go out and learn a bit more and only earn a one off £40. If it was a tenner then I'd be more hesitant but if she doesn't continue I'll assure you the lesson will stay in your mind and you won't make the same mistake again.   

dont you set your stall out from the off?

do you want a regular or one off clean?these are the first words out of my mouth...then i take it from there.....

no confusion,clear as pure water.....
Yes, and she said she wanted regular, hence me stating I will only do 6-weekly.  

She might not understand the "pure" method of cleaning and might not want to commit just in case this magic water doesn't work. She could still have dropped you after the first wash without the "initially" comment. We don't charge first clean premiums but we don't "chase" customers.

Worst case scenario you'll go out and learn a bit more and only earn a one off £40. If it was a tenner then I'd be more hesitant but if she doesn't continue I'll assure you the lesson will stay in your mind and you won't make the same mistake again.   
What mistake have I made? ?

I explained everything thoroughly and she's definitely au fait with the pure water system.

What mistake have I made? ?

I explained everything thoroughly and she's definitely au fait with the pure water system.
Not charging an initial clean price would be the mistake. But as part timer says just do the job, worst case it’s another £40 in your pocket, best case she continues and then next customer you charge an initial clean price ??‍♂️

Oh what the heck...no harm in doing one job for £40 if it turns out that way.  As MX19 suggested, I should look at "best case" scenario.

Thanks chaps ?

Definitely do it. 
You have very little to lose, but you could possibly gain a decent long term customer.

She has no idea if your any good , or reliable or trustworthy , so she’s may just be giving herself a bit of room to manoeuvre. 
some just say do it,  and well see how we get on etc. 

In your initial post you didn't explain you'd asked what you posted in the first reply. You will get messers in this game no matter how hard you try to avoid them.
Yeah I appreciate that but I need to change my mindset here and allow for the messers after I've taken their money, not before! 

Definitely do it. 
You have very little to lose, but you could possibly gain a decent long term customer.

She has no idea if your any good , or reliable or trustworthy , so she’s may just be giving herself a bit of room to manoeuvre. 
some just say do it,  and well see how we get on etc. 

She knows I'm good ? 

I’m impressed that you can get £40 for cleaning a bungalow!
Quite a few skylights! 

It’s all about selling your service and making sure the customer is 100% aware of what you expect of them , we will do one off jobs if we have time and are in the area but it will be 3-4 x the normal clean price , if a potential customer said initially to me I would be re explaining that they are agreeing to a regular monthly clean not a I might continue or I will let you know when I want them doing again , any hesitation on there part and we won’t be doing the job , not got time for messers .

It’s all about selling your service and making sure the customer is 100% aware of what you expect of them , we will do one off jobs if we have time and are in the area but it will be 3-4 x the normal clean price , if a potential customer said initially to me I would be re explaining that they are agreeing to a regular monthly clean not a I might continue or I will let you know when I want them doing again , any hesitation on there part and we won’t be doing the job , not got time for messers .
Problem is, she had a few quotes already. Said I was in the middle. I think by the time I arrived, she was well versed in what to say when I explained everything. I asked before anything else if she wanted regular or one off. She answered without blinking stating she wanted regular. So it does make me curious as to why she dropped in "initially" by text. 

I'm just a tad annoyed because I'd decided not to do one off cleans for now and focus on securing long term customers. 

I'll do the job for £40 and be prepared not to get another call. It will take 40-50 minutes of my time and result in £40 for the privilege. 

Problem is, she had a few quotes already. Said I was in the middle. I think by the time I arrived, she was well versed in what to say when I explained everything. I asked before anything else if she wanted regular or one off. She answered without blinking stating she wanted regular. So it does make me curious as to why she dropped in "initially" by text. 

I'm just a tad annoyed because I'd decided not to do one off cleans for now and focus on securing long term customers. 

I'll do the job for £40 and be prepared not to get another call. It will take 40-50 minutes of my time and result in £40 for the privilege. 
If you have the time to do it it’s worth doing as it’s £40 in your pocket , but again you shouldn’t be waiting for a call from her you should be saying I’ll see you in 6 weeks as agreed , if that’s what was said .

If you have the time to do it it’s worth doing as it’s £40 in your pocket , but again you shouldn’t be waiting for a call from her you should be saying I’ll see you in 6 weeks as agreed , if that’s what was said .
Yes that's what I'll do. I meant I'll anticipate a call cancelling the next job. Until then, I'll assume I'll be calling over the next time. 

Thanks for the views chaps. Getting fixated on a single word is my Civil Service training...need to let it go and go with the flow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Customers can cancel whenever they wish unless they sign some sort of contract. No matter what they initially say. I have a very good retention rate, but still lose customers....comes with the territory.  And after a while you will sense some of the ones as well as misjudging others as to whether they are long term customers.

I had a 'we'll see how it goes' customer sign up the other week when she asked and I quoted her. I rolled my eyes at it but she's in the middle of other customers on my street and her windows are clean as anything so no first clean extra time spent so nothing to lose. Take her on, do a good job and I'm sure she'll be fine ?

Latest Posts

Back