Oily on top of my pure?

Bongofish

Hey all!

I got an outside 210l water butt to store a supply of pure in and then use a flood pump to pump into the tank in the back of the van for days I run short. I was going to get a normal tank for back garden until another window cleaner reccomended the water butt and to be fair it does the job great and for £40 from wicks. However when I looked at the water today in there it seems to have a slightly oily appearance at the top. The TDS is still coming back at 0 though. Think it's ok to still use the water? 

I washed the water butt out before use and cleaned the flood pump down before putting it in 🤷

Edited by Bongofish
22 minutes ago, Bongofish said:

Hey all!

I got an outside 210l water butt to store a supply of pure in and then use a flood pump to pump into the tank in the back of the van for days I run short. I was going to get a normal tank for back garden until another window cleaner reccomended the water butt and to be fair it does the job great and for £40 from wicks. However when I looked at the water today in there it seems to have a slightly oily appearance at the top. The TDS is still coming back at 0 though. Think it's ok to still use the water? 

I washed the water butt out before use and cleaned the flood pump down before putting it in 🤷

Try it on your windows first

• Agree 2
1 hour ago, Pjj said:

If it’s reading 000 then it should be ok ,I think I would just skim the surface of the water off. 

Sorry to sound daft mate but how do you skim it? I would guess it would need some kind of really tight mesh? 

8 minutes ago, Bongofish said:

Sorry to sound daft mate but how do you skim it? I would guess it would need some kind of really tight mesh? 

Just get a cup or similar and scoop the top bit off the water or as @Part Timersaid try absorbing it with kitchen roll it’s only a tiny bit that needs removing 

14 hours ago, Bongofish said:

Hey all!

If you have oil residue in the water it could be a sign that the pump you are using is leaking lubricant from is shaft seals which support the impeller