Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump controller ionic system

Salan

Hi guys...my pump controller ionic ( fill switch) just stopped working when I was about to fill the  van. I had connected the everything but when I press the fill switch nothing comes on. The pump control works to remove water...however the fill switch has stopped working. I have dismantled the controller...I see one of the diod has cracked. What can cause this to crack? And replacing it can it solve the problem.  Getting s new switch asap is impossible because am operating my window cleaning in Nairobi. Thanks for your assistance.  I have attached a photo.

IMG-20210409-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210409-WA0009.jpg

I would try and get an electronic engineer to look at it and see if they can just replace the broken diode I doubt it’s a unique diode they are easy to unsolder and replace bits in the circuit board , a mate of mine does  repairs like this on stuff on boats . 

I would try and get an electronic engineer to look at it and see if they can just replace the broken diode I doubt it’s a unique diode they are easy to unsolder and replace bits in the circuit board , a mate of mine does  repairs like this on stuff on boats . 
Thank you for your response @Pjj

I am going to see one first thing tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it goes. Hope it's just replacing it. 

Hi guys...my pump controller ionic ( fill switch) just stopped working when I was about to fill the  van. I had connected the everything but when I press the fill switch nothing comes on. The pump control works to remove water...however the fill switch has stopped working. I have dismantled the controller...I see one of the diod has cracked. What can cause this to crack? And replacing it can it solve the problem.  Getting s new switch asap is impossible because am operating my window cleaning in Nairobi. Thanks for your assistance.  I have attached a photo.

View attachment 24136

View attachment 24137
As a guess I'd say it's approximately a 12v 10amp Zener Diode which could be ordered as a cheap replacement part depending on services near you or postage.

Most electrical workshops could test replace and have it working providing the rest of the components haven't failed 

As a guess I'd say it's approximately a 12v 10amp Zener Diode which could be ordered as a cheap replacement part depending on services near you or postage.

Most electrical workshops could test replace and have it working providing the rest of the components haven't failed 
Thank you so much for your input @Apw1210 

I am praying nothing else has given up. I had some work that I was doing today and tomorrow, hope I can finish it up as soon as it's fixed.I will keep you posted in the morning.

For future however I think I might need one for emergency. 

Thank you so much for your input @Apw1210 

I am praying nothing else has given up. I had some work that I was doing today and tomorrow, hope I can finish it up as soon as it's fixed.I will keep you posted in the morning.

For future however I think I might need one for emergency. 
It's nice to see persons like yourself from other parts of the world interact ?

Its members like you who help me out alot faster than the manufacturer. And am still learning from your experiences. I appreciate all your help. Last time I had an issue @Pjjhelped me out with some advice.
You are more than welcome the whole object of the forum is to share ideas and learn we are never to old to learn new things no mater how much experience we have , hope you are able to get it sorted .

You are more than welcome the whole object of the forum is to share ideas and learn we are never to old to learn new things no mater how much experience we have , hope you are able to get it sorted .
Thanks @Pjj I will let you know once the electrical engineer has a look. Thanks for your assistance.

Its members like you who help me out alot faster than the manufacturer. And am still learning from your experiences. I appreciate all your help. Last time I had an issue @Pjjhelped me out with some advice.
You're most welcome. Stay in touch 

View attachment 24136

View attachment 24137
That looks like it could be a 'standard' 1n4002 type diode to protect the power transistor (the component in the heatsink behind the diode). It's used to protect the power transistor against inductive loads (a pump) when you switch them off.

You might find the power transistor has failed. Might also be worth checking that the pump isn't blocked and rotating easily as if it wont rotate it will pull high current which could have caused the damage. Don't just replace the diode without finding the cause if you can. Check the wiring as well in case there is a short somewhere. 

Good luck, hope you can get it fixed easily.

That looks like it could be a 'standard' 1n4002 type diode to protect the power transistor (the component in the heatsink behind the diode). It's used to protect the power transistor against inductive loads (a pump) when you switch them off.

You might find the power transistor has failed. Might also be worth checking that the pump isn't blocked and rotating easily as if it wont rotate it will pull high current which could have caused the damage. Don't just replace the diode without finding the cause if you can. Check the wiring as well in case there is a short somewhere. 

Good luck, hope you can get it fixed easily.
Thank you guys for all your input. I managed to get an electrical engineer to have a look at the diode and the transistor. They were both fixed and nothing else on motherboard had an issue. 

However on the machine we found the problem to be the over flow sensor in the tank.

I managed to over pass it till I can get a new one. Where can I get one like the pic attached? And how can I open it? Thanks once again for all your help guys @Pjj @ched999uk @Apw1210

20210410_165924_mfnr.jpg

Thank you guys for all your input. I managed to get an electrical engineer to have a look at the diode and the transistor. They were both fixed and nothing else on motherboard had an issue. 

However on the machine we found the problem to be the over flow sensor in the tank.

I managed to over pass it till I can get a new one. Where can I get one like the pic attached? And how can I open it? Thanks once again for all your help guys @Pjj @ched999uk @Apw1210

View attachment 24151
Ime assuming you mean a float valve ??? That’s connected to the solenoid  that opens and closes the water flow to the tank ???

Ime assuming you mean a float valve ??? That’s connected to the solenoid  that opens and closes the water flow to the tank ???
Yes that's the one I meant...the other day I left the fill on a bit too long and the water over flowed in the tank.  I think that what might have caused the problem.  How do I go about changing it? And where can I get one from?

View attachment 24151
It looks like a plastic welded tank bulkhead fitting with a screw in sensor possibly sealed with PTFE tape 

Ps, we are always here to help those in need

That thing is sealed tight. How do I remove it?
It should unscrew , any electric float valve should be ok if you can get one locally you might not get the same size one as the fitting in the tank but an adapter  or two  and it will fit . 

That thing is sealed tight. How do I remove it?
It appears to be a pretty standard float switch. Most fit through the tank from the wet side out.

I would personally apply boiling hot water over the screw collar to losen it or an electric heat gun.

Ensure the water level is below that water line before removing it 

It should unscrew , any electric float valve should be ok if you can get one locally you might not get the same size one as the fitting in the tank but an adapter  or two  and it will fit . 
@Pjj I tried to unscrew it with my hand but that thing wasn't moving so i stopped I was scared I might break it.  Let me google any videos available on how to change it. Thanks once again

Most ionics welded threaded things in the tanks are 3/4 inch it doesn’t look like an ionics float switch to me but maybe there export version is  different to  the uk versions ???

@Pjj I tried to unscrew it with my hand but that thing wasn't moving so i stopped I was scared I might break it.  Let me google any videos available on how to change it. Thanks once again
I would try a pair of gas pliers and gently try unscrewing it anti clockwise both bits are plastic so it shouldn’t be corroded 

Using vise grips will add better leverage to unscrew it 

Does it look like this 

download.jpeg

Back