Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Blocked hosepipe

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Is there anything that assists in unblocking a hose that has air trapped in it 
When you quote hose pipe do you mean garden hose or water fed pole hose reel? Quite a vague question 

Can you explain your situation and equipment you are having issues with 

It if is water fed pole system hosereel its very easy 

Make sure your van is parked on level ground.

Ensure your brush is connected to your hose

Start your pump and have your controller set to 99 and allow the water to flow for a few minutes until you have a steady constant stream of water.

If you are using a flat tank it's good practice to fit an inline non return valve after your pump and before your hosereel 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you are talking airlock in a hose as opposed to blocked hose.  The two things are different.

Blocked hoses in our game are usually caused by a twisted or folded hose or possibly ice in winter. Sometimes a faulty water-stop type connector can also create a blockage.

Airlocks are usually caused by letting a system run dry. Most pumps will normally prime themselves as long as they are not trying to push air or water through a hose at the same time. You also want to make sure that all connections on the tank side of your pump are airtight.

Is there anything that assists in unblocking a hose that has air trapped in it 
I normally have this issue and have to unplug the tank hose from the hose reel then run pump on full and blast out any air locks after a few seconds you can reconnect to reel and normally works fine.

I normally have this issue when driving around with a low level of water in the tank and the water must slop around and drop momentarily below the level of the outlet, thereby allowing air into the pump. 

Any luck with your issue?
No mate. It still won’t feed water through the hosepipe. It is a water fed pole system but going to try this. Haven’t used one before but a mate who is  a plumber said they clear air that’s trapped. Ever seen one before or used one? 

24CCFE40-D61B-49ED-899D-F61E2FAA2F5B.jpeg

Are you sure that it is air that is trapped? I have had an issue before where the resin beads were getting into my reel hose and all gathered behind the fitting to the pole hose which blocked the hose. 

It could also be that your pump in the van has become damaged especially if it has been used whilst frozen on one of these cold mornings. That happened to me a couple of month back.  

That pump above appears to be one you put in your drill. 

No mate. It still won’t feed water through the hosepipe. It is a water fed pole system but going to try this. Haven’t used one before but a mate who is  a plumber said they clear air that’s trapped. Ever seen one before or used one? 

View attachment 24178
I wouldn't waste money on a water pump. Respectively I strongly suggest you get to grips with your system it's component parts and in depth fault finding. It sounds like your pump is sucking in air causing cavitation and hydrolocking. 

Post some images of your system so we can help you further 

I wouldn't waste money on a water pump. Respectively I strongly suggest you get to grips with your system it's component parts and in depth fault finding. It sounds like your pump is sucking in air causing cavitation and hydrolocking. 

Post some images of your system so we can help you further 
I am new to this so am learning as I go. 
The lad that works with me decided it could be a problem with the filter so unscrewed it whilst the pump was still on creating the air lock I think is causing the blockage. I’ve tried the old fashioned way by sucking the hose but no use and I’ve ended up with a mouth full of cold sores so don’t want to try that again. 
I have three pumps. One is working but the one that is driven by the van isn’t and it was right up until he decided to take the filter off as it was in use. 
The other pump is the same with no water being produced. 
I was told this drill powered water pump could  be strong enough to get the vans pump unblocked. What do you think? 

Do you have water being pumped to your hose reel connection?
For that pump, no. 
One pump does but the other 2 are not pumping water 

Byo74 said:
For that pump, no. 
It suddenly stopped when I was in the middle of using it fine and he decided to unscrew the lid for the filter while it was on. I think this sucked in loads of air and that’s the problem 

For that pump, no. 

It suddenly stopped when I was in the middle of using it fine and he decided to unscrew the lid for the filter while it was on. I think this sucked in loads of air and that’s the problem 
Have you tried breaking it down in sections. Like disconnect the hose side at the pump. Get it pumping through only the pump first. If that makes sense. 

Have you connected the hoses on the pump the right way around? @Byo74 There is usually an arrow on the pump head indicating the flow. If you connect the pump incorrectly the pump will suck air and pump the air back into the tank.

If you have a mate who's a plumber what about asking him to help on this occasion to get you out of trouble? I wouldn't think it should be too difficult for him. Then you'll know what the problem is and hopefully be able to sort it yourself if it happens again. It's so important to build a broad bank of knowledge of the equipment and problem solving as we go on. It does take time. Just build it as you go.

I am new to this so am learning as I go. 
The lad that works with me decided it could be a problem with the filter so unscrewed it whilst the pump was still on creating the air lock I think is causing the blockage. I’ve tried the old fashioned way by sucking the hose but no use and I’ve ended up with a mouth full of cold sores so don’t want to try that again. 
I have three pumps. One is working but the one that is driven by the van isn’t and it was right up until he decided to take the filter off as it was in use. 
The other pump is the same with no water being produced. 
I was told this drill powered water pump could  be strong enough to get the vans pump unblocked. What do you think? 
With respect to you starting out and it's all new, Do you understand that pumps have a marked direction of flow arrow on them. Also are you familiar with wire colour coding and the principles of Polarity?

These are all key to getting a system running and pumping water 

Is your controller wire with the correct Polarity orientation of wiring 

Is your pump wired to your controller in the correct Polarity 

These types of threads end up going for days because there is commonly a misunderstanding in setup

Regardless to the cost of your pump wether it be a £98 ShurFlo 8000 or £12 Chineseium ebay they all have a direction of flow.

Please check your immediately as this may solve your dilemma 

The pump is functioning but just no water. Do you mean disconnect it all then reconnect? 
Have you sorted it yet.

Upload some photos of your installation and highlight the areas of issue.

Introduce yourself aswell as we are all here trying to get you up and running yet your replies are vague and don't really give us much information to go on 

Have you sorted it yet.

Upload some photos of your installation and highlight the areas of issue.

Introduce yourself aswell as we are all here trying to get you up and running yet your replies are vague and don't really give us much information to go on 
Was thinking the same. Work from tank to brush, find out that way.

Was thinking the same. Work from tank to brush, find out that way.
It's a very straightforward however depending on the chaps knowledge familiarisation with the equipment it may be a mine field of issues 

Tank - Pump controller - Pump - hosereel - brush 

The OPs wording also makes me think his hosereel is his worry but from experience it's most likely basic plumbing at fault 

Latest Posts

Back