Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New system or not?

richb77

Situation - I have a two man self build system. Unfortunately the pump and controller have seemed to have expired ( I have tried virtually everything but to no avail) options I have are as follows 1) but a complete new delivery unit with everything built in. C£2500 or b) replace the pump and controller for c£200. Main question is how long should a system last, will my other one give up soon enough to make it worthwhile investing in a new set up. Ignoring the fact that I may be able to fix it I’m looking at worst case scenario. 

Situation - I have a two man self build system. Unfortunately the pump and controller have seemed to have expired ( I have tried virtually everything but to no avail) options I have are as follows 1) but a complete new delivery unit with everything built in. C£2500 or b) replace the pump and controller for c£200. Main question is how long should a system last, will my other one give up soon enough to make it worthwhile investing in a new set up. Ignoring the fact that I may be able to fix it I’m looking at worst case scenario. 
A shurflo 8000 series pump when used in conjunction with an inline strainer correct 7 amp fuse and regular checks and preventative maintenance should give you around 7 years of use with pure water only going through it.

A good pump controller made by spring Europe Ltd for example the V11 or V16 when fused and connected with the correct gauge wiring should last indefinitely.

If you opt for replacement new I strongly recommend a complete ready build controller and pump board from Darren at DA Components or Doug at @doug atkinson a Shurflo 8000 series and the latest V16 controller 

Why would you spend £2500 when a fix of £200 will resolve everything? 
Sorry to give a bit more info, whilst my round is local and I can nip back to fill my tank, it’s only 250ltr. My system (original one) is nearly 6 years old, and not sure if it will need replacing soon. I’m just trying to gauge what people would do in the same situation. 

Could you expand??
With respect im not here to offend or ruffle feathers, im just surprised that you would of opted for trying to repair or at least fault find your failed system components.

It's far more cost effective and easier than a mass expenditure on all new kit 

With respect im not here to offend or ruffle feathers, im just surprised that you would of opted for trying to repair or at least fault find your failed system components.

It's far more cost effective and easier than a mass expenditure on all new kit 
I’m not offended easily ?. I’m still trying to fault find as well. I’m just looking to see if I cannot get it fixed myself what best option is do. To be fair the last five years it’s worked very well and I’ve also even built my own trolley system (have the need for it in some places but won’t go into that). Just frustrating not being able to sort. The fault is on the flow controller which says PS as soon as it’s on. Checked the wiring and that’s all fine, stripped it all back and put it all back together but still the same. When I go to recalibrate the controller it just comes up with ERR. 

I’m not offended easily ?. I’m still trying to fault find as well. I’m just looking to see if I cannot get it fixed myself what best option is do. To be fair the last five years it’s worked very well and I’ve also even built my own trolley system (have the need for it in some places but won’t go into that). Just frustrating not being able to sort. The fault is on the flow controller which says PS as soon as it’s on. Checked the wiring and that’s all fine, stripped it all back and put it all back together but still the same. When I go to recalibrate the controller it just comes up with ERR. 
With the pressure switch message do you regularly calibrate the controller with varying jobs and building heights? 

Is your hose reel free from any damage, twists knots or blockages 

Have you tested your pumps pressure switch continuity with a digital multimeter to see if the pressure switch / microswitch is not jammed in or that it switches okay? 

Please forgive my initial response. Only trying to offer yourself vaild genuine help 

I'm guessing by the information you've given it's a spring or supplier branded controller around 5 or so years of age

With the pressure switch message do you regularly calibrate the controller with varying jobs and building heights? 

Is your hose reel free from any damage, twists knots or blockages 

Have you tested your pumps pressure switch continuity with a digital multimeter to see if the pressure switch / microswitch is not jammed in or that it switches okay? 

Please forgive my initial response. Only trying to offer yourself vaild genuine help 

I'm guessing by the information you've given it's a spring or supplier branded controller around 5 or so years of age
Honestly, not calibrated the controller once. 

with regard to the hose reel have checked it all (connected to second pump) and reeled it all out and no issues.

I haven’t yet checked the continuity of the pressure switch, I’ll check that tomorrow.

don’t worry I’m not a snowflake and didn’t take offence at the comment just wanted to clarify my understanding that’s all. We all come on here for help and advice wether to give or take it. We’re not on a Facebook page where one word causes WW3 lol.

the pump controller was a pure freedom and the pump is shurflo although not sure which.

appreciate the help and advice

@richb77 I'm very confused. You have a faulty pump/ controller or both or whatever. But why are you talking about spending 2.5k on a  new system? Just go buy new ones the money will be made in a gutter job or a couple or a day on the glass. Even make it super easy and go to cleaning warehouse etc and get pump in a box set up. Everything you need pre wired the lot. Just connect battery and water.  Or if you want a bigger tank just get a wyedale brand new for a few hundred quid and connect above pump and controller options? Seems like your over stressing over it but hope you sort it soon 

@richb77 I'm very confused. You have a faulty pump/ controller or both or whatever. But why are you talking about spending 2.5k on a  new system? Just go buy new ones the money will be made in a gutter job or a couple or a day on the glass. Even make it super easy and go to cleaning warehouse etc and get pump in a box set up. Everything you need pre wired the lot. Just connect battery and water.  Or if you want a bigger tank just get a wyedale brand new for a few hundred quid and connect above pump and controller options? Seems like your over stressing over it but hope you sort it soon 
I like to know why it’s not working which in turn meaning knowing how it works in the first place.  I think you’re right as it would be much more cost effective as I have built a system before so why can’t I do it again and that was my first time trying wfp. The only real difference is the fancy casing that it would be in. 

Honestly, not calibrated the controller once. 

with regard to the hose reel have checked it all (connected to second pump) and reeled it all out and no issues.

I haven’t yet checked the continuity of the pressure switch, I’ll check that tomorrow.

don’t worry I’m not a snowflake and didn’t take offence at the comment just wanted to clarify my understanding that’s all. We all come on here for help and advice wether to give or take it. We’re not on a Facebook page where one word causes WW3 lol.

the pump controller was a pure freedom and the pump is shurflo although not sure which.

appreciate the help and advice
Calibration is crucial as the controllers IC learns your workflow and the hose length evaluation that you are working at to activate the pressure switch. I do believe that's correct. It's most likely a Rebranded Spring Europe Ltd V11 controller 

The very best person and expert who can provide clarity is Ian Sheppard 

Calibration is crucial as the controllers IC learns your workflow and the hose length evaluation that you are working at to activate the pressure switch. I do believe that's correct. It's most likely a Rebranded Spring Europe Ltd V11 controller 

The very best person and expert who can provide clarity is Ian Sheppard 
I’ll drop him a message, never knew about calibration so thanks for the info. I’ll have to have a proper read up on that.  Cheers

I’ll drop him a message, never knew about calibration so thanks for the info. I’ll have to have a proper read up on that.  Cheers
As a rule of thumb you should calibrate your controller at least once a week. 

For example the elevation of work varies such as 

Bungalow 

House 

Town House 

Terraced property 

Hotels  

So with the pole at different and varying work heights the pole is extended thus meaning there's more hose being used higher with a greater effort on the pump to push water up hill.

If using a univalve you'll expect the Pressure switch to pick up the closed demand on water stopping the pump.

A very key part of the controller protection system which babysits your pump 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a 2 man systems you can find the issue quite easily. You can swap the pumps, if the fault follows the pump then that is the problem (maybe you need a new pressure switch). If the fault stays with the controller then it points to a controller fault. Double check the electrical connections even though you think they are OK. If you have a poor connection the controller could have difficulties.

As you understand the system then maybe fix the current issue then buy a bigger tank and frame. Sometimes it's better to build your own system as you can chose the components you want not what the supplier can get on the cheap!!! 

no need to recalibrate your controller every week but it defo needs doing a few times a year (either up or down) depending on ambient air temperature.....
I have no idea what is right or wrong but I auto calibrate when the temperatures changes - so onset of winter and summer at the very least.

If you have a 2 man systems you can find the issue quite easily. You can swap the pumps, if the fault follows the pump then that is the problem (maybe you need a new pressure switch). If the fault stays with the controller then it points to a controller fault. Double check the electrical connections even though you think they are OK. If you have a poor connection the controller could have difficulties.

As you understand the system then maybe fix the current issue then buy a bigger tank and frame. Sometimes it's better to build your own system as you can chose the components you want not what the supplier can get on the cheap!!! 
I’m getting back on it tomorrow, I will not let it defeat me!!

Built beats purchased hands down 

I don't know what tank @richb77has but the Brodex 250 litre tank has the pump and controller right at the bottom of the tank. The controller can easily get water ingress and Brodex didn't believe in an inlet pump strainer either.

Take 2 wires from your battery and connect them directly to the pump 'bypassing' the controller. If the pump runs then you know the problem is either the controller or the supply wiring. (You need to connect the red wire on the motor side of the pressure switch.)

It could be that you just have a basic flow controller, one that relies on the manual pressure switch on the pump. It could be that the pressure switch needs replacing.

Latest Posts

Back