Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting new at self-employment

Mooghy

Hello, 

I have decided to start myself a window cleaning company, was wondering on how I would get customers to pay, is it a case of trust or they pay and i do the job? Do you get your customers to sign anything to ensure payment? And what's the best way to ask customers to pay an invoice? 

Hi Mooghy, I am in the planning stages of starting my business and I plan to have a wireless payment system like SumUp for when the customer is home, and to leave a printed invoice with my bank account and details of the job on, for the customers who aren't home when I clean. 

I think there has always been an element of trust from what I have researched.

Hello, 

I have decided to start myself a window cleaning company, was wondering on how I would get customers to pay, is it a case of trust or they pay and i do the job? Do you get your customers to sign anything to ensure payment? And what's the best way to ask customers to pay an invoice? 
Hi , I've just started up. I get my customers to pay by BACS if possible,  I have a Sum up card reader also. I just leave a slip ,saying windows have been cleaned, with my bank details on it. Requesting x amount to paid . Good luck with your journey. 

Hello, 

Bank details on my slips for BACS payments is the number 1 payment method for me,sumup card reader for card payments on the day too and good old cash....I have the odd customer who pay over the phone on my virtual terminal as well...a few standing orders.thats it.

If no payment received after 14 days I send a text reminder.some I'll roll over until they owe 2 or 3 cleans...most pay within a few weeks though....

BACS and Cash on the day are king, as neither of them incur a charge.

Most customers will pay me by the end of the day, some take a week, others end up paying double next time! 

i suppose 100% GoCardless would be the dream, it should make for a predictable cash flow and save a bit of admin on accounting and chasing debts, but customers can be reluctant and it has its fees.

Text the night before, to let them know you’re coming, and to leave the gates open .

I then text an invoice when I’ve finished even if they are at home. 

70% BACS

30% cash 

plus 4-5 cheques from a few older customers .

I would say 80% pay within a week. 
I don’t send payment reminders for the first missed payment. 
Most have forgotten, and pay 2 lots soon after the second clean. 

Good luck 

Don’t forget that getting the work in the first place will be by far the hardest part of starting up. The rest is relatively straight forward ??

Hello, 

I personally work on good old trust.

Most bank transfer some pay cash some pay by card 

I do have a small to the point worded contact of service with a strike system 

Time frame for payment 

Non payment 

Good bye jog on 

Sumup PDQ card machines are very affordable now and I personally feel it's good to have as it's stops those who say they have no cash to pay up straight away.

The best advice for you and the start of a new venture is to do what feels best for you.

Back