Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Builders First Clean

Gibby

Hi Folks, looking for some advise. Been asked to carryout builders clean for local buisness but have never done this before. Any tips on getting the glue left on windows after removing the blue plastic that protects the glass from the roughcasteing and how much do i charge for normal 3 bedroom house. 

Hi Folks, looking for some advise. Been asked to carryout builders clean for local buisness but have never done this before. Any tips on getting the glue left on windows after removing the blue plastic that protects the glass from the roughcasteing and how much do i charge for normal 3 bedroom house. 
Walk away and let someone else do it. 

You need to be on your game, they are a nightmare.

What ever your quote is for time = money triple it as they always take 3 times longer

Are there glazing stickers all over the glass etc 

There is a complete thread on builders cleans if you use the search option 

If your skill set isn't up to CCU level just walk away. They can be one of the difficult jobs in this field of work.

You need scratch waivers signed, documentation and pics of the glass condition prior to service (during your first walk thru.)

Price should be 3 to 5x your normal rate 

Make sure your insurance is paid up to date.

There is  simpler window cleaning work out there.

Good luck. 

Totally agree, you need to know what you’re doing. 

Toughened glass can scratch very easily, the frames and glass are often caked in cement, silicone, and scratches caused by the builder. The  job will take longer than you think. Personally I’ve done loads of these and they are a massive pain, I’m now simply turning them all down. Too much hassle. 

Isopropyl alchohol is great for removing glue from the stickers etc, alongside a sharp blade incase you decide to give it a go... 

Good luck, James  

If you need the work then crack on....personally I'd want £100 a house and fully expect each house to take 2 hours altogether (inside and out)...you want a strong solvent for the glue residue and a really good scraper(I use an unger ninja with stainless steel blades),grade 00 bronze wool and plenty of hot soapy water...remember you ll have to clean this job the traditional way going up ladders and getting up close to the glass.....

Good luck!

If you need the work then crack on....personally I'd want £100 a house and fully expect each house to take 2 hours altogether (inside and out)...you want a strong solvent for the glue residue and a really good scraper(I use an unger ninja with stainless steel blades),grade 00 bronze wool and plenty of hot soapy water...remember you ll have to clean this job the traditional way going up ladders and getting up close to the glass.....

Good luck!
I use 000 or 0000 bronze wool normally does the trick, also magic erasers and damp (not soak wet) microfiber towels work great to for removing residue.

My advice would be walk away more trouble than it’s worth and not financially viable , but if you are keen to do it you need solvent cleaner , a plastic scraper , and normal scraper make sure the glass is wet and only scrape on the forward stroke allow much longer than you think it will take and price high   

we did a 60 bedroom new build not long ago, real pain in the back side. make sure you price it high so your making more than you would on the glass. Get a good scraper! 4" or 6"

Best of luck.

Latest Posts

Back