Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The equipment technical aspect & skills required to fix on the fly

Apw1210

Good afternoon,

I thought I'd share some information in reply to the copious amounts of questions I receive on a regular basis 

Starting out in water fed pole window cleaning & the equipment technical aspect of the trade

We welcome many new starters into our industry and many of them haven't ever dealt with the types of equipment we Commonly use.

When Starting out it would be beneficial if you had the knowledge and understanding of these following skill sets to best help you in a moment of need or system failure, Having a basic understanding could possibly save your day or save you from embarrassment when at a customers property.

Electronics 

Cold water plumbing 

Basic engineering 

Fault diagnostics 

On a regular basis I see many posts on here, Facebook & Instagram with guys asking for help because their backpack has stopped working or their van system is not pumping water and they are literally stuck and ready to go home because they are not confident enough to diagnose the issue that is stopping them from working.

Electronics and water are very similar as they both flow in a direction when a tap or switch is activated 

When trying to solve a problem it is key to mentally break down the system before you into component blocks where one acts upon another and so on. 

Example 

Van mounted system will not pump water 

1, Tank 

2, isolation valve or tap 

3, pump controller 

4, pump 

5, hose reel 

5.5 univalve or inline tap

6, pole to brush

Follow the flow and step by step find the cause.

I am here and if you need any help with an issue I will happily help, 

Most issues can be rectified very quickly and all you need to do is understand your system and how it's assembled.

Tools 

Keeping a basic tool kit in your van is a must in my opinion, and having those tools could potentially save you when the system you are using stops

Depending on your skills and ability your tool kit will obviously vary in what you have with you at the time.

For me personally I carry an ex army 50cal steel ammunition box under my seat with the following.

Digital multimeter 

Side cutters 

Long nose pliers 

Portasol technic gas soldering iron

Gas refill can 

Solder 

Screwdriver set 

Adjustable spanner 

Socket set 

Insulation tape 

Wago connectors 

Fuses 

PTFE tape 

Rubber seals & O rings

Spare Rectus 21 fittings

Cable ties 

Gaffa tape 

Hose barbs & joiners 

Pencil jets 

Spare univalve 

Angle adapter 

If you have any questions feel free to comment 

Have a great day 

All the best 

Austin 

Last edited by a moderator:
I well remember the first few hours of lost work time due to a blown fuse on my kit after everything just shut down.  I had no spares of anything on board. 

Fortunately I live very close to where I work so I don't carry spares of larger items on my vehicle anymore like poles or pumps though I do have them.  But I have a tool kit and spares of all the smaller components that sometimes cause issues.  And like you say a rudimentary understanding of electrics and plumbing have been very helpful.  Even so, 14 years in with WFP and I'm still picking up good tips from you other guys.  The most recent was spruce's tip re unseating a stuck valve in a pump.  

It probably not what your aiming at here but-

Even if your planning to go wfp, you really should  be competent with a squeegee and applicator ??

Even if your planning to go wfp, you really should  be competent with a squeegee and applicator ??
I personally use both but I disagree on your point, Its like a surgeon having to work as a butcher first as WFP & Trad are two different techniques 

I personally use both but I disagree on your point, Its like a surgeon having to work as a butcher first as WFP & Trad are two different techniques 
The title of the thread says “useful”

I’m  surprised you think that knowing how to Trad is not useful in some way for a beginner .??

I agree with you both but cant use a wfp indoors, unless of course your just doing outside, it’s always good to have some trad experience in case you get a customer ask you

I agree with you both but cant use a wfp indoors, unless of course your just doing outside, it’s always good to have some trad experience in case you get a customer ask you
With respect. I feel your missing the initial point of my post as it's with reference to WFP 

The title of the thread says “useful”

I’m  surprised you think that knowing how to Trad is not useful in some way for a beginner .??
Your missing the point. This isn't about traditional window cleaning and the title useful relates to WFP. 

Sorry I don’t want to derail a useful thread, but it would be useful for a person starting up with wfp to be able to trad as well just in case.  
I would always recommend that someone starting up as a window cleaner go down the wfp route. ??

Ahem!! In my case, totally incompetent with a squeegee and applicator I imagine. Never used them ?. They're not part of the tools of my trade. Not saying folk shouldn't be competent if they are interested or are likely to use them. It's good to have an arsenal of skills. Just of no interest to me as I've no intention of ever doing trad. ?

Ahem!! In my case, totally incompetent with a squeegee and applicator I imagine. Never used them ?. They're not part of the tools of my trade. Not saying folk shouldn't be competent if they are interested or are likely to use them. It's good to have an arsenal of skills. Just of no interest to me as I've no intention of ever doing trad. ?
Very rare I use squeegee TBH but good to keep Er indoors happy every couple of months when she changes the nets lol.

That's an impressive toolkit  APW1210!

my kits much more basic,  but adds a crimping tool and spade connectors.  and a sewing needle for jet blockages.

Latest Posts

Back