Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pure freedom DI filter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Graeme Broome

Hi, I use a 200 GPD Compact Reverse Osmosis system from pure freedom. My tap water TDS reading is about 100, sometimes less, and I'm getting a reading of 0-1. I've not been using my DI filter for some time and the reading is always about 0-1. Am I okay to not use the DI filter, save me buying resin if I can live without it.

Most of the time we are below 003 on the TDS after RO and two vessels of resin. We start to think about changing resin as it gets to around 005 as from that reading it often starts to climb rapidly. We will use it without hesitation short term up to the start of double figures (010). We normally aim to keep to a maximum of about 005.

At 001 I reckon @Graeme Broome
is blessed. I probably wouldn't be bothering with resin. ??

Well I'm in the other camp and say no, zero TDS de-ionised water has an extra cleaning power that means you can work more efficiently and be certain of leaving a great result. Skimping on DI is in my opinion a false economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I use a 200 GPD Compact Reverse Osmosis system from pure freedom. My tap water TDS reading is about 100, sometimes less, and I'm getting a reading of 0-1. I've not been using my DI filter for some time and the reading is always about 0-1. Am I okay to not use the DI filter, save me buying resin if I can live without it.
My advice is to be very careful. I've just taken a measurement of the TDS of our water down to road from you and ours is 111. There have been times when our water reads 147ppm. An r/o will never be 100% efficient (0ppm). An r/o would be working at 99% efficiency with 1ppm from a tap water tds of 100. Most manufacturers don't claim that even with perfect water conditions; ie temperature, pressure and mineral concentrations.

The best I got with my r/o with an American Axeon membrane was a rejection rate of 98% when it was new. Now it's running at 97%. My pure before di has been fluctuating between 2 and 3ppm for a few weeks now.

I once experimented and found that in early morning sun I could see tiny spots on the glass from inside with 5ppm water. I doubt a customer would notice, but I can't take that chance. So I will never let my pure go above 1 before changing resin. 6 litres of resin lasts us about a year.

My advice is to be very careful. I've just taken a measurement of the TDS of our water down to road from you and ours is 111. There have been times when our water reads 147ppm. An r/o will never be 100% efficient (0ppm). An r/o would be working at 99% efficiency with 1ppm from a tap water tds of 100. Most manufacturers don't claim that even with perfect water conditions; ie temperature, pressure and mineral concentrations.

The best I got with my r/o with an American Axeon membrane was a rejection rate of 98% when it was new. Now it's running at 97%. My pure before di has been fluctuating between 2 and 3ppm for a few weeks now.

I once experimented and found that in early morning sun I could see tiny spots on the glass from inside with 5ppm water. I doubt a customer would notice, but I can't take that chance. So I will never let my pure go above 1 before changing resin. 6 litres of resin lasts us about a year.

Is your tds meter accurate?

My water is 1ppm AFTER the DI so I wouldn't have any qualms about using your water.. Re the post above about meter accuracy, if you can borrow another meter to check?

Back