Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What’s your worst quote?

Jaygti

Confession time. 
This is inspired by another thread on here. 

So what’s the worst quote you’ve made?

£50 for what ended up as a days work?

£20 for a £60 house?

It’s time to fess up??

Doing bang first cleans with uPVC restoration for no extra cost as I was desperate for the work and getting customers in ? I've done 2 hours for £10 with a £3 material cost ?

I'm now double or more

Lessons learned there 

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst quote/job. CCU on custom home 6yrs ago, scheduled 6hrs ended up being 16hrs straight through working along side other trades and the interior designer, had to be done for a magazine photo shot following morning. 

A one off job , when I first started in the early nineties. 
£15 p/h was the going rate then. 
It was a large house with Georgian windows. I had to wet scrim dry scrim every pane of glass. it was in the middle summer on a hot sunny day. 
I quoted £10. 
It took over 3 hrs.wasn’t a great job either.  The man felt a bit guilty and gave me £12.
I still have nightmares now.

A one off job , when I first started in the early nineties. 
£15 p/h was the going rate then. 
It was a large house with Georgian windows. I had to wet scrim dry scrim every pane of glass. it was in the middle summer on a hot sunny day. 
I quoted £10. 
It took over 3 hrs.wasn’t a great job either.  The man felt a bit guilty and gave me £12.
I still have nightmares now.

Many moons ago, about 9, I bought a gutter vac to do a Care Home. I believed the advertising that basically said you just have to walk round slowly and it will clear the gutters, I think it was a single 1200w motor, so I said we'd do it as the same price as the windows, £40. 4 hours later the ladders came out so the 2 of us could finish the parts the vac couldn't shift. 10 man hours in total and we had agreed to do their other Care Home at the same price. This however was much better, we knew what we were doing after the first one, and it only took us 8 man hours.

I was about 9 months in.
House & large conservatory in & out. 2 of us as I Paid a mate who did abit traditional who was also looking for extra work & money. I quoted £140. The two of us were there for 7 & half hours!! ?? £70 each. 7 & half hours on a hot spring day! 

Quoted £1500 for an external cladding clean on an office building when I was pretty clueless about such things. 

It took 6 weeks... 

Not solidly as I had to keep breaking off so my main round didn't die but it was 20 long hard days in freezing, wet weather over December and early Jan. 
Ouch...that sounds miserable!

Possibly today.  Quoted £60 for a gutter clear, 2 hours later and still not completed.  Got to go back next week as part of it I couldn't reach so got to go back with ladders to use the vac off a ladder, not looking forward to it.  Worst of it it's only a small job, a piddly small job that on paper should be 20 minutes.  Access issues, camera issues, lack of gap to the roof tiles, customer talking and constant interuptions... It's only a small house but I swear I must have walked 3 miles going backwards and forwards with the kit.

I've got lots of other work at the same job so going to complete it next week when I'm back there, just hope all the other stuff doesn't go as bad.

Sometimes I can't understand where the time has gone, very frustrating.  I'd turn it down but the other work is all well paid so best just get it done.  Think I was just having a bad day, was doing it after a 3 hour first clean that was bad enough.

As Im not too knowledgeable on certain jobs, but if I need the work which I often do, I'll admit it could be between, say 50 and 100. saves getting caught out and they are always fine with it. Dont often have to do it though. 

Not the worst for actual man hours but the one I've been most annoyed about. Years ago I put some leaflets out saying 50% off the first clean to get work in, I also added the quote into the leaflets to save going back to quote. 

Did my own street and someone 10 doors up asked me to start. I'd quoted £7 from looking at the front (bungalow).

Unfortunately at the back it had an extension and conservatory. The job was also disgustingly dirty. It took me 1.5 hours in total to get it up to scratch.

At the end the guy came out and paid me £3.50 (50% discount) in 20 and 10 p's and said the Mrs said she'll let you know if we want you back. They obviously never did. One off for £3.50 in 20p's.

After that I stopped putting prices on leaflets and doubled first clean prices.

Not the worst for actual man hours but the one I've been most annoyed about. Years ago I put some leaflets out saying 50% off the first clean to get work in, I also added the quote into the leaflets to save going back to quote. 

Did my own street and someone 10 doors up asked me to start. I'd quoted £7 from looking at the front (bungalow).

Unfortunately at the back it had an extension and conservatory. The job was also disgustingly dirty. It took me 1.5 hours in total to get it up to scratch.

At the end the guy came out and paid me £3.50 (50% discount) in 20 and 10 p's and said the Mrs said she'll let you know if we want you back. They obviously never did. One off for £3.50 in 20p's.

After that I stopped putting prices on leaflets and doubled first clean prices.
I feel better now ?

Latest Posts

Back