Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Am I missing anything before I get started? Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

JakdeDiamond

Hey all, 

As some of you know I am in the process of getting started up and have got pretty much all my eggs in order. Please could you take a look and see if I'm missing anything glaringly obvious. 

I have - 

Insurance

1000 x Leaflets with my facebook and number on, each leaflet has a *discount coupon for signing up to regular clean* I've attached if you want to take a look and give some feedback.

200 x fancy business cards

Equipment 

• 3 x squeegee moerman Liquidator, 6/10/14 inch
  • applicator
  • Spare rubbers 
  • Trad pole
  • scraper and blades
  • microfibres
  • big towel
  • bucket and BOAB
  • 25l container for warm water to decant into bucket
  • Roof rack on my car
  • Ladders
  • Gutter cleaning kit
  • Uniform with logo

Facebook page set up 

GoCardless account set up - Do you think starting out I should only accept GC so that I start off on the right foot? I am thinking this is the best way to start. 

Rough pricing structure - I would eventually like to earn £40 an hour before taxes. Minimums are as follows - 

• Normal 3 bed on a 6 weekly basis from £20
  • 12 weekly basis from £25
  • First clean - +50% of normal price
  • One off - £double normal price
  • Conny's £5 extra minimum
  • Gutters £60 minimum

Very conscious of putting my prices too low to start and as I am working full time alongside this venture to start I am not desperate to pick up anyone and everyone. I am in the south just out of London and feel like these are in line, if ever so slightly lower than my competition. 

I am planning on canvassing from Monday and will be knocking to try and get people booked in for 3 weeks time, this will give me 2 weeks (4/5 days worth) to gather my initial customer base hopefully, 

I have a job booked in for Monday cleaning the school I work ats sports pavillion so am getting some pics for facebook and some practice. 

To neighbours delight I'm cleaning my windows daily for practice also. 

I am aiming to be the premium service in the area and want my USP to be that I deliver the best results possible and not just a fly by night kinda guy. 

Thank you so much for your help and time guys!

View attachment Flyer final.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, 

As some of you know I am in the process of getting started up and have got pretty much all my eggs in order. Please could you take a look and see if I'm missing anything glaringly obvious. 

I have - 

Insurance

1000 x Leaflets with my facebook and number on, each leaflet has a *discount coupon for signing up to regular clean* I've attached if you want to take a look and give some feedback.

Equipment 

• applicator
  • Spare rubbers 
  • Trad pole
  • scraper and blades
  • microfibres
  • big towel
  • bucket and BOAB
  • Roof rack on my car
  • Ladders
  • Gutter cleaning kit
  • Uniform with logo

Facebook page set up 

GoCardless account set up - Do you think starting out I should only accept GC so that I start off on the right foot? I am thinking this is the best way to start. 

Rough pricing structure - I would eventually like to earn £40 an hour before taxes. Minimums are as follows - 

• Gutters £60 minimum

Very conscious of putting my prices too low to start and as I am working full time alongside this venture to start I am not desperate to pick up anyone and everyone. I am in the south just out of London and feel like these are in line, if ever so slightly lower than my competition. 

I am planning on canvassing from Monday and will be knocking to try and get people booked in for 3 weeks time, this will give me 2 weeks (4/5 days worth) to gather my initial customer base hopefully, 

I have a job booked in for Monday cleaning the school I work ats sports pavillion so am getting some pics for facebook and some practice. 

I am aiming to be the premium service in the area and want my USP to be that I deliver the best results possible and not just a fly by night kinda guy. 

View attachment 24220
yes sounds good,  start off with decent prices unlike some new ones near me who are charging half the going/average rate which doesn't help anyone.

What about ladder safety equipment? if your up and down a ladder all day you want it non slip. I only do a few jobs where I need a ladder so I dont bother, but if I was trad I'd want the anchor lad or something for the bottom of ladder and something for the top too. Also have you got a ladder stay? for gutter jobs.

Good luck buddy.

yes sounds good,  start off with decent prices unlike some new ones near me who are charging half the going/average rate which doesn't help anyone.

What about ladder safety equipment? if your up and down a ladder all day you want it non slip. I only do a few jobs where I need a ladder so I dont bother, but if I was trad I'd want the anchor lad or something for the bottom of ladder and something for the top too. Also have you got a ladder stay? for gutter jobs.

Good luck buddy.
Thanks mate that's wicked, I'm going to head to B&Q after work today to have a look at what they've got for keeping the ladder a bit safer. Haven't heard of a ladder stay but i'll google now mate, I'm in the mindset of spend now and then I can focus on earning, rather than keep having to get bits and bobs. 

If I've picked up anything from lurking on the forum it's not to go in too low so cheers pal! If nobody wants me then I can reconsider but I'm quietly (maybe stupidly) confident haha! 
Thanks for that bud. 

Thanks mate that's wicked, I'm going to head to B&Q after work today to have a look at what they've got for keeping the ladder a bit safer. Haven't heard of a ladder stay but i'll google now mate, I'm in the mindset of spend now and then I can focus on earning, rather than keep having to get bits and bobs. 

If I've picked up anything from lurking on the forum it's not to go in too low so cheers pal! If nobody wants me then I can reconsider but I'm quietly (maybe stupidly) confident haha! 
Thanks for that bud. 
Ladder stay just attaches from the top of the ladder to the house, to give a bit of distance between you and the gutter so you can see whats what easier 

Hey all, 

I have - 

Insurance

Equipment 

• applicator
  • Spare rubbers 
  • Trad pole
  • scraper and blades
  • microfibres
  • big towel
  • bucket and BOAB
  • Roof rack on my car
  • Ladders
  • Gutter cleaning kit
  • Uniform with logo

Facebook page set up 

• Gutters £60 minimum

View attachment 24220
I personally don't give business cards out as they are a far greater production expense when a leaflet is cheaper larger and won't get misplaced so easily.

Keep them for commercial clients or for those ask for one

1000 leaflets won't go far as I have noted that per 1000 leaflets you'll be lucky to receive a confirmed customer return of 5-10 on a good day. That's based on when I started out. 

Do you have a public liability insurance policy in place 

Is the vehicle you will be using insured for business use as a basic personal policy is legally null and void 

You'll need more scrims or cloths than you have estimated for 

Do you have a ladder leveller or footing system along with a stand off for awkward access jobs

I wouldn't be worried about seeking the confirmation of others as it's your business your income and trial and error along with hard work makes a business and not lists of kit.

That's my tuppence worth and my personal based opinion.

When I started out I brought the kit I thought I needed and when I didn't have it I went shopping again 

This is what I was about to suggest ?
Good afternoon mate. It's absolutely crucial your vehicle is insured correctly. It may appear on the face of it to not matter however one incident where you hit someone or they smash into yourself you'll very quickly be notified that your policy is invalid.

Depending on your age, driver background ie points convictions, vehicle size you won't be breaking the bank.

I personally recommend Alexander Swan, they can also offer additional PLI cover. Give them a call and ask For Jade - 01793616773

Personally I wouldn't.  There is some resistance out there and people won't feel comfortable with the notion of signing up to a form of direct debit to a bloke at the door with a bucket and ladder.

Your focus is to get as many good quality customers as you can - once you have done this and built up a level of trust and continuity, then think about getting customers signed up to GC.

Personally I wouldn't.  There is some resistance out there and people won't feel comfortable with the notion of signing up to a form of direct debit to a bloke at the door with a bucket and ladder.

Your focus is to get as many good quality customers as you can - once you have done this and built up a level of trust and continuity, then think about getting customers signed up to GC.
Great valid point

Really good point to be honest mate, I think it's easy to get caught up in the dream world of GC when starting out. I'll stick to invoicing with bank transfer. I don't want to get in the habit of holding any cash on me.

Good afternoon mate. It's absolutely crucial your vehicle is insured correctly. It may appear on the face of it to not matter however one incident where you hit someone or they smash into yourself you'll very quickly be notified that your policy is invalid.

Depending on your age, driver background ie points convictions, vehicle size you won't be breaking the bank.

I personally recommend Alexander Swan, they can also offer additional PLI cover. Give them a call and ask For Jade - 01793616773
Thank you mate, I already have car insurance and PLI, really important that I think a lot of cowboys miss!

I personally don't give business cards out as they are a far greater production expense when a leaflet is cheaper larger and won't get misplaced so easily.

Keep them for commercial clients or for those ask for one

1000 leaflets won't go far as I have noted that per 1000 leaflets you'll be lucky to receive a confirmed customer return of 5-10 on a good day. That's based on when I started out. 

Do you have a public liability insurance policy in place 

Is the vehicle you will be using insured for business use as a basic personal policy is legally null and void 

You'll need more scrims or cloths than you have estimated for 

Do you have a ladder leveller or footing system along with a stand off for awkward access jobs

I wouldn't be worried about seeking the confirmation of others as it's your business your income and trial and error along with hard work makes a business and not lists of kit.

That's my tuppence worth and my personal based opinion.

When I started out I brought the kit I thought I needed and when I didn't have it I went shopping again 
Thanks mate, I am keeping the biz cards for the real deal customers that I am confident I want to impress. Can't be bleeding money when I'm in the game to make some haha. 

I will have to get some more cloths I reckon I may have undershot it, thank you. 

Not got a footer but will be on the shopping list for this weekend!

Thank you all for your advice so far!

Really good point to be honest mate, I think it's easy to get caught up in the dream world of GC when starting out. I'll stick to invoicing with bank transfer. I don't want to get in the habit of holding any cash on me.

Thank you mate, I already have car insurance and PLI, really important that I think a lot of cowboys miss!

Thanks mate, I am keeping the biz cards for the real deal customers that I am confident I want to impress. Can't be bleeding money when I'm in the game to make some haha. 

I will have to get some more cloths I reckon I may have undershot it, thank you. 

Not got a footer but will be on the shopping list for this weekend!

Thank you all for your advice so far!
Have you considered getting yourself a card machine such as the SumUp really inexpensive and great for instant card transactions. You can also format your phones App to issue a receipt via the customer email address.

They are currently £19.90 on Amazon.co.uk i paid closer to £60 for mine when they first came out.

I don't use ladders for window cleaning however I made a non slip mat with backstop for my ladders.

You can pick up Rubber door mats from B&M Homebase etc and just secure a wooden battern onto them. Prevents the ladder slipping backwards on concrete green dirty decking and wet papers 

I looked into GC and decided against it as once you sign up you have no control on what they will charge you it would cost us a small fortune each month . I also spoke to a lot of our long standing customers asking there thoughts on it the vast majority would not agree to it si we will stick to ,cash, cheques ,BACS payments more and more are now paying by BACS , and this is my preferred method of payment ,and it doesn’t cost anything so even  better ???

I looked into GC and decided against it as once you sign up you have no control on what they will charge you it would cost us a small fortune each month . I also spoke to a lot of our long standing customers asking there thoughts on it the vast majority would not agree to it si we will stick to ,cash, cheques ,BACS payments more and more are now paying by BACS , and this is my preferred method of payment ,and it doesn’t cost anything so even  better ???
I think the fee is currently 1%+20p per transaction.  I only have 5 customers signed up to it so the cost is negligible for me.  Obviously for you the costs would be far more significant.

I don't actively promote that customers can pay by GC - it's on my invoice that is generated by the squeegee app and I will let customers decide for themselves.

Have you considered getting yourself a card machine such as the SumUp really inexpensive and great for instant card transactions. You can also format your phones App to issue a receipt via the customer email address.

They are currently £19.90 on Amazon.co.uk i paid closer to £60 for mine when they first came out.

I don't use ladders for window cleaning however I made a non slip mat with backstop for my ladders.

You can pick up Rubber door mats from B&M Homebase etc and just secure a wooden battern onto them. Prevents the ladder slipping backwards on concrete green dirty decking and wet papers 
This is a fantastic idea thank you, sorry to be a pain but once I have the SumUp reader, do I need to subscribe to any services? 

Nice one on the ladder mat! Could work out a lot cheaper than the purpose built bits online and who doesn't like a bit of DIY? haha

Legend, great points, I think with all the videos I've been watching I just got sucked in to GreenProClean saying it's the bible of payments lol! 

One more question guys is I see a lot of you saying that you're texting customer a lot the day before to remind them to leave the gates open/ that you're coming to do the windows. 

How are you organising this? Just texting each person the day before from your phone? Sounds like it could get confusing. I was thinking of just telling them when I'm next coming in person and then showing up. Is this a bad way of doing it? texting is more professional I agree. 

This is a fantastic idea thank you, sorry to be a pain but once I have the SumUp reader, do I need to subscribe to any services? 

Nice one on the ladder mat! Could work out a lot cheaper than the purpose built bits online and who doesn't like a bit of DIY? haha

Legend, great points, I think with all the videos I've been watching I just got sucked in to GreenProClean saying it's the bible of payments lol! 

One more question guys is I see a lot of you saying that you're texting customer a lot the day before to remind them to leave the gates open/ that you're coming to do the windows. 

How are you organising this? Just texting each person the day before from your phone? Sounds like it could get confusing. I was thinking of just telling them when I'm next coming in person and then showing up. Is this a bad way of doing it? texting is more professional I agree. 
Sumup is very transparent and all you pay is 2.75% per transaction and it's instantaneous 

We never have and never will txt domestic customers , we do however phone / email some commercial customers that need to know when we are coming 

It's a personal preference, some do, some don't.

You can send a group notification via the squeegee app the day before to let everyone know you're calling over.  You do have to pay for SMS though - still relatively cheap though.  Or you could send text messages direct from your phone for free but it's a bit more time consuming then pressing one button on squeegee.

I do this as I see it as a very easy thing to do but a massive selling point. A lot of customers I have comment on it and I think it's becoming more and more expected. I know for a fact i wouldn't have a window cleaner turn up at my place unannounced so why should i do it to others?! I used to text one by one but as the rounds grew I now use squeegee and send out a bulk text. It also ensures access is there and if it's not then you can still charge as have given them notice.

Also people will say it gives them a chance to cancel, this isn't true as long as you make sure you're not asking if you can come and clean you're saying you are coming to clean. Doing it this way means the only cancellations you may get are the same as the ones that will cancel when you're at their place!
I will charge a surcharge on any skipped cleans (unless its a decent reason etc) and customers know this, I usually mention it the first time but don't actually charge then if they do it again  you have no reason not to. Plus i'd much rather be cancelled if they're going to for a decent reason, before making the journey. 

Hey all, 

I have - 

Insurance

Equipment 

• applicator
  • Spare rubbers 
  • Trad pole
  • scraper and blades
  • microfibres
  • big towel
  • bucket and BOAB
  • Roof rack on my car
  • Ladders
  • Gutter cleaning kit
  • Uniform with logo

Facebook page set up 

• Gutters £60 minimum

View attachment 24220
Another point which may be of benefit to yourself.

Do you have a strong healthy back

Wearing a BOAB often gives the impression to new starters that you have to load it up to the hilt with everything.

Once you have belt pouches you'll soon feel the strain around your waist and lower back.

Heres a heads and some of my well sourced trade tips.

Window cleaning suppliers sell fancy gucci pouches and belts etc

Have a look into the military, army, combat market and you'll find very affordable ammunition dump pouches webbing belts and other great pieces of kit well suited to window cleaning such as my Condor PLCE webbing. It makes trad easier comfortable and bearable 

Just my 2pence.

When i started i had 'discount for OAPs' on the flyers

I ditched this as soon as i cottoned onto the fact that ALOT of pensioners are way more affluent than the majority of non pensioners. 

Personally i dont discount anybody unless they are family (mother inlaw gets freebie, sister inlaw gets a £15 for a tenner)

How are you attatching ladder to roof rack? (Straps are a nutache)

Business cards ive found to be pretty pointless in bulk but handy to have 4/5 in your wallet for ease.

Ive not touched GC and i only offer cash/cq/bacs as payment options, but thats my preference.

I always txt the night before and the txt always includes

"Good afternoon, Just letting you know that weather permitting, we will be round tomorrow to clean your windows.

Jon

HWCS"

Latest Posts

Back