Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

tank size for 2 operators

moto

Deciding on new system. Few questions... I was planing 700 ionic, but Ionic curently over 6 weeks wait. Grippatank can do it sooner, but only offers 650 or 850. Please help if you have exerience of 2 cleaners working 5 to 7 hours days;  650 vs 850 litres tank for 2 man, cold delivery system? What if they were to work 7 to 8 hrs? Worried 650 litres isnt enough for a day of residential maintance cleans with few 1st cleans every day.

Waterworks has cheaper 700 l system, any experience with that? Thanks

Deciding on new system. Few questions... I was planing 700 ionic, but Ionic curently over 6 weeks wait. Grippatank can do it sooner, but only offers 650 or 850. Please help if you have exerience of 2 cleaners working 5 to 7 hours days;  650 vs 850 litres tank for 2 man, cold delivery system? What if they were to work 7 to 8 hrs? Worried 650 litres isnt enough for a day of residential maintance cleans with few 1st cleans every day.

Another question; what van do you have and will it carry the weight of 850 litres.

Grippa should have a used 850 litre tank in stock.

Its VW Transporter T30 so not the biggest payload, dealer said its 1100kg but need to check this. Thinking 850 and not fill up fully will be better than full 650 tank? Or best to get 700?

The big question is your vehicle, size payload and desired loading configuration 

Its VW Transporter T30 so not the biggest payload, dealer said its 1100kg but need to check this. Thinking 850 and not fill up fully will be better than full 650 tank? Or best to get 700?
A fully brimmed 650 litre tank with 2 operators and equipment will probably exceed the payload limit of your van. A full tank of diesel and 2 operators at 80kg each will possibly remove 220kgs from your payload without any equipment in the back of your van.

If you want an 850 litre tank then you need a van with a gross weight of 3500kgs.

A fully brimmed 650 litre tank with 2 operators and equipment will probably exceed the payload limit of your van. A full tank of diesel and 2 operators at 80kg each will possibly remove 220kgs from your payload without any equipment in the back of your van.

If you want an 850 litre tank then you need a van with a gross weight of 3500kgs.
I haven't seen a window cleaner with an Iveco turbo daily yet. Whats the biggest van you've seen @spruce??

Don't rely on a dealer as they are just trying to sell you something!

Under the bonnet or sometimes on a door pillar (door open), there will be a plate with weights on. These will be something like front axle weight, rear axle weight, Maximum Allowable Mass,  maximum train weight (van + trailer max). Unfortunately it wont tell you what the empty van weights!!!! I think the V5 document might have a mass in service weight or Mass In Running Order. So that might help?

Even different manufacturers will have different specs for providing the 'empty' weight of the vehicle. Some include a driver (75kg) and a full fuel tank others no driver and half tank of fuel. So that can change the capacity for load carrying by 100kg!!! 

It is vital that you find out the empty weight of your vehicle so you know what load you can carry. Without that info you could be driving round illegally and in the event of an accident your insurance would be invalid not to mention getting pulled in by VOSA for a weight check and the fines that that can involve!

On top of all that you need to mount the tank so neither axle is overloaded, otherwise you can effect braking efficiency and stopping distance!!

I haven't seen a window cleaner with an Iveco turbo daily yet. Whats the biggest van you've seen @spruce??
I have the Fiat Ducato 3500 and @Pjj has a posher 3500.

I know 850 is bit too big, but only issue for the first drive / hour of the day... now also looking at 650 flat tank from streamline, cheper than grippa and looks great. Maybe add rodi so option to filter on bigger jobs if needed? Is anyone doing that? connect to customer tap on jobs over an hour it should produce 100 litres of pure.

https://www.streamline.systems/product/smartank-650ltr-flat-window-cleaning-tank-system/
We do this regularly on our travels and with a booster pump produce between 200-250 litres an hour. However with 2 people working you only produce roughly 50-100  litres an hour more than you use @doug atkinson has a booster pump that will produce 400 litres an hour.

With R/O, DI, electric reels etc I think you're pushing the limit with an 850l tank, even in a 3500

A couple of LWB Renault Masters 3500 with Omnipole skid frame 800 litre tanks.

I'm not including a number of T260 Transits and Dispatch/Experts with 1000 litre IBC tanks secured with pieces of string to the vans mounting points.

Last edited by a moderator:

It depends what type of work you are doing compact domestic or spaced out stuff or large commercial, we have 1000 ltr systems in a couple of our vans and a 600 in the other with two guys we empty a 1000 ltr in 7 hours in normal settings , if doing costal salty stuff we run the pumps flat out and it will last about 4-5 hours tops , but we fill as we are working in big jobs and can produce 1000 ltr of pure in 2 hours with a big booster pump fitted in the van we can easily fill the tank faster than we can use water even with 3-4 guys working from one van . 

Without a booster pump I would say the smallest tank I would go for would be 750 but the more the better 850-1000 would be my choice . There is no way 650 will be enough for  two guys working the hours on the glass you have suggested . Any questions just ask 

I have the Fiat Ducato 3500 and @Pjj has a posher 3500.

We do this regularly on our travels and with a booster pump produce between 200-250 litres an hour. However with 2 people working you only produce roughly 50-100  litres an hour more than you use @doug atkinson has a booster pump that will produce 400 litres an hour.

With R/O, DI, electric reels etc I think you're pushing the limit with an 850l tank, even in a 3500
Payload is a big issue that’s why I originally bought a MWB renault master as it had 1640kg payload , my latest van is only just over 1250kg I haven’t put it in the weighbridge  yet ??????????? but guessing it's a bit heavy ???? having said that when on site filling it doesn’t matter , when working away from home we just put 200 ltr in the tank and fill on site then run home empty So again it’s not really a problem for us , but you do need to be careful , with overloading . 

I have a vivaro and a 650ltr tank and run 2 man team, only one day weve run out of water and thats the day we had alot of walk ups, so did i think 34/35 properties.

Once we did have to park 2 wheels on the kerb at last pair of houses to get the dregs out of the tank ??

I have a vivaro and a 650ltr tank and run 2 man team, only one day weve run out of water and thats the day we had alot of walk ups, so did i think 34/35 properties.

Once we did have to park 2 wheels on the kerb at last pair of houses to get the dregs out of the tank ??
Agree with you,

We also carry a full backpack and 25 lt of pure just in case   

It depends what type of work you are doing compact domestic or spaced out stuff or large commercial, we have 1000 ltr systems in a couple of our vans and a 600 in the other with two guys we empty a 1000 ltr in 7 hours in normal settings , if doing costal salty stuff we run the pumps flat out and it will last about 4-5 hours tops , but we fill as we are working in big jobs and can produce 1000 ltr of pure in 2 hours with a big booster pump fitted in the van we can easily fill the tank faster than we can use water even with 3-4 guys working from one van . 

Without a booster pump I would say the smallest tank I would go for would be 750 but the more the better 850-1000 would be my choice . There is no way 650 will be enough for  two guys working the hours on the glass you have suggested . Any questions just ask 
Definitely agree, I wish I had of went for a bigger tank myself now. Although I can manage to fill with a di on the run

I have the di after the pumps if we need to top up just put a hose in the tank, after we have used up the backpack and 25lt of pure, also useful set up when pressure washing

Do you just run a hose into a double di setup in the van ? Interested in doing this when I get a bigger van but currently I run into a vessel in my garden then into the van. 
2C43788E-8780-4202-AFE9-C818BCEAE263.jpeg84E383F8-8279-4428-A287-56AE892AC5DD.jpeg

Here’s what I have mate. Outside the van I have two DI vessels that contain older resin. View them as ‘softening’ the water, plus it’s a good way of getting more out of spent resin. 

Inside the van I have a large DI vessel with fresh resin. This takes the water to zero. I fill the tank with it. I went the pre-tank route as we use a backpack for the backs & it’s easier to fill it up this way. 

When I’m at home the water will go through the external DI vessels before reaching the van and going through the large one. When I’m topping up at a customer it’s just the large one that does the job. 

Hope this helps! 

View attachment 24243View attachment 24244

Here’s what I have mate. Outside the van I have two DI vessels that contain older resin. View them as ‘softening’ the water, plus it’s a good way of getting more out of spent resin. 

Inside the van I have a large DI vessel with fresh resin. This takes the water to zero. I fill the tank with it. I went the pre-tank route as we use a backpack for the backs & it’s easier to fill it up this way. 

When I’m at home the water will go through the external DI vessels before reaching the van and going through the large one. When I’m topping up at a customer it’s just the large one that does the job. 

Hope this helps! 
If you could store rainwater then you would hardly use any resin because our rainwater is 009, well mine is. ?

Back