Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Phantom Pole Sections

McDirty

Hi All,

First post here, i'm looking at poles at the moment, if i buy a pole longer than i currently need can i remove the bottom section?

for example if i bought a 25ft phantom instead of a 22ft.  are the poles identical apart from the length?

i notice it says extra sections are for 18-22ft then 25-40ft

thanks Mark

Hi @McDirty, I'm still relatively new but I think it is usually recommended to buy a pole at the length you will use most, then buy extensions which you can add on to make longer when needed. When I started I got a phantom 18 second hand, I then bought an extension to add on. I will be buying a Gardiner pole soon and will do a similar thing, I'll buy the 22ft then a couple of extensions as I only occasionally need to go higher.
If you email a supplier of the phantom pole such as WCW, they will be able to help you choose the right length as well as which extension you need. WCW sell the Phantom poles and extensions.

Hi All,

First post here, i'm looking at poles at the moment, if i buy a pole longer than i currently need can i remove the bottom section?

for example if i bought a 25ft phantom instead of a 22ft.  are the poles identical apart from the length?

i notice it says extra sections are for 18-22ft then 25-40ft

thanks Mark
Simple answer is no, the outer most larger base pole is made with bump protection and in some instances High voltage protection 

You'll end up damaging pole ends

Just buy more poles to be job specific 

Simple answer is no, the outer most larger base pole is made with bump protection and in some instances High voltage protection 

You'll end up damaging pole ends

Just buy more poles to be job specific 
Thanks for you’re reply, 

So if I buy extensions sold for the phantom, do the extensions all come as bottom sections with the protections you mentioned?

Mark

Thanks for you’re reply, 

So if I buy extensions sold for the phantom, do the extensions all come as bottom sections with the protections you mentioned?

Mark
From the poles I've purchased they are tapered base sections which usually include a new replacement base

It sound like you only have one pole?

Is that correct?

If new to starting out I'd recommend owning two poles

One as a vital spare, if you get a little keen and break your pole you can lose word due to the time frame of getting a replacement 

From the poles I've purchased they are tapered base sections which usually include a new replacement base

It sound like you only have one pole?

Is that correct?

If new to starting out I'd recommend owning two poles

One as a vital spare, if you get a little keen and break your pole you can lose word due to the time frame of getting a replacement 
I haven’t purchased any pole yet I’m just doing my research before I take the plunge.

sound advice about having 2.

thanks

I haven’t purchased any pole yet I’m just doing my research before I take the plunge.

sound advice about having 2.

thanks
My personal preference for domestic & light retail work including town houses and NOT 3 storey terraced squats is 

1x 1 section 8ft for bungalows & shop fronts 

1x 22 foot 

1x 30 foot 

My personal preference for domestic & light retail work including town houses and NOT 3 storey terraced squats is 

1x 1 section 8ft for bungalows & shop fronts 

1x 22 foot 

1x 30 foot 
Thank you.

I’m basing my purchase on my own house as I’ll be cleaning my own windows regularly.

we have 2 rear extensions to work over then there are dormer windows in the loft conversion.

We have 9ft ceilings so I was at a minimum wanting a pole that will allow me to clean all 3 stories at home, that will then cover me for 95% of the other properties around here

Thank you.

I’m basing my purchase on my own house as I’ll be cleaning my own windows regularly.

we have 2 rear extensions to work over then there are dormer windows in the loft conversion.

We have 9ft ceilings so I was at a minimum wanting a pole that will allow me to clean all 3 stories at home, that will then cover me for 95% of the other properties around here
I'd personally add scope for slightly different than your own home. Do some demographic research on your area as knowledge is power 

My first and main choice would be an SLX 22. 22 being the length that suits around 98% of our work. Mostly two level but with some three level work. The 22 closes nice and compact for using in confined spaces and for stowing in the van. The 25 doesn't stow as compact as the sections are longer. Something to be aware of if using a smaller vehicle. We have about six 22s. Two Extreme and the rest are SLX. This gives us a combination of fairly fresh poles, reserve usable spare poles and some poles awaiting new sections for repair. We also have an SLX 30. This is very rarely used apart from about three or four of our regular jobs. If I was buying a long pole again knowing what I know now, I'd buy a 35 instead of the 30 for the extra reach on the few occasions it's needed. If I was starting out I wouldn't rush into buying a 30ft plus pole unless I was fairly sure I'd need that length for a lot of my work. We only use Gardiner poles so I can't speak for the collapsed lengths of other makes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 25 footer for everyday work and a 47 footer for anything higher....

If your just starting out a 25 footer would be ideal..no need for a longer(or shorter pole)...mine reaches 3 storey windows(just)even on Victorian properties as I'm 6ft 2in with long arms!??

Back