Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Shoulder pain after using water fed pole


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

Just curious if there are any other window cleaners suffering back and shoulder pain after using a water fed pole.  I'm now 51, am i just getting too old or am I doing something wrong?

Any useful tips  greatly appreciated.

 

Edited by Iron Giant
edited out advertising own website
Link to comment

I did mine in doing Gutter's that hadn't been cleaned in 24 yrs had to have a week off and I'm still recovering now and doing half the amount of jobs I've since changed to the ovo8 pole and have a load of exercise to strengthen related muscles and tendons

Link to comment
3 hours ago, stayclear said:

Hi everyone,

Just curious if there are any other window cleaners suffering back and shoulder pain after using a water fed pole.  I'm now 51, am i just getting too old or am I doing something wrong?

Any useful tips  greatly appreciated.

 

I don't know if you are rinsing on the glass or not, but I switched to doing this a few years ago and its really helped. It's feels a lot easier days work now.

Link to comment

It could be down to poor technique, poor quality poles, etc etc. Without seeing how you work it is hard to say.

I'm 57 and don't suffer greatly and do use big poles, above 27' on a fairly regular basis.

Try not to stand to close and try to walk the pole up and down to take the strain off your shoulders and get the lightest pole and brush combo you can afford.

 

Link to comment

Don't know if it helps or not but for the past 8 weeks I've been doing press ups in the evenings.  I just do 3 sets of press ups with 6 minutes rest between each set.  When I first started I struggled to do 20 press ups in a set, now I do 3 x 50 sets [150 total] monday to friday, weekends I rest.  I have lost a stone in weight since Christmas.

I still ache but feel like I'm stronger and less muscle fatigue.

Also have an orange a day and sometimes a kiwi, apple and black grapes.  I make sure I have protein in the evenings as well.  Your body needs the protein to repair the muscles so it makes sense to watch your diet as well as everything else you can do to improve your health and fitness.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, stayclear said:

Hi everyone,

Just curious if there are any other window cleaners suffering back and shoulder pain after using a water fed pole.  I'm now 51, am i just getting too old or am I doing something wrong?

Any useful tips  greatly appreciated.

 

Unfortunately the only person who can answer that question is you as you are the only one whose knows your state of health and your body. I started at 52. I'm still doing it at 69 but I can only do about a third of the work I used to, and that's with better equipment. It all started to go downhill after a prostate operation in 2009. I'm due for a second one shortly which could spell the end of window cleaning for me.

If you have just started window cleaning and come from an office environment background then manual pole work is going to impact muscles you never knew you had.

What type of work are you doing? I ask as most residential I see on Google Earth is what we would call bungalows in the UK, mostly single story buildings. I've looked on Boat Harbour Drive and Old Maryborough Rd and even the business premises/commercial are single story buildings.

You know your work but I would suggest that you find the lightest, stiffest pole and lightest brush you can for the job you do.

In the UK our residential work comprises mainly houses with 2 or 3 floors. To begin with I used to use a heavier pole for upper windows and swap to a smaller lighter pole for the bottom windows.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment

I'm knocking on the door of 59 and have been WFP for 19 years, it is getting harder as I get older. I've woken up today with lower back pain, shoulder pain and pain in both wrists. ?

As has been said not lifting off to rinse is important on anything above ground floor.

Weight training and cycling are both beneficial if you can find the time and energy after a days work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

We've only just relocated to Hervey Bay. I used to live in Mornington which is about 1 hour south of Melbourne. I had many massive beach front homes. The area I've moved to is less glamorous and pricey, so expecting to do less pole work but curious about other peoples physical struggles.

 

Edited by Iron Giant
Link to comment

Stayed there for a few nights before I ventured over to Fraser Island, almost 20 years ago. 

You're very lucky! 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, stayclear said:

Hi everyone,

Just curious if there are any other window cleaners suffering back and shoulder pain after using a water fed pole.  I'm now 51, am i just getting too old or am I doing something wrong?

Any useful tips  greatly appreciated.

 

I was involved in an RTC 10 years ago where I was rammed off the road by a drunken French HGV driver which gave me life changing injuries and my back was broken along with both forearms left leg and collar bone. 9 months In hospital and to this day I suffer with chronic back pain and all my joints in cold weather. I wake up every morning and go to work regardless.

The best advice is technique, weight of equipment and mind over matter ? 

Edited by Apw1210
Link to comment

Most of the regular maintenance wfp work up to second level should really be little more than light to moderate exercise with good, lightweight equipment and efficient technique. Certainly for anyone in good health and physical fitness. Especially if they are used to manual work or physical activities. Even if you're not it shouldn't be too hard to build enough strength and stamina.

It is harder work if washing gutters, soffits and the like from the ground, which my son and I do quite often. Not everyone realises that the brush has to be within a tolerance of about an inch when doing that type of work. Too close and the brush stalls against the work. Not close enough and the bristles don't scrub. This takes a fair degree of effort and requires a lot of control from the operator.

Some of us on the forum are no longer as young and fit as we once were (65 in my case and had chemo and major surgery a year and a half ago) but I'd like to think we have the grit to do what we're able.

Several of us as can be seen to have had or are having challenges with health or accident issues.

Spruce, I wish you the very best for your upcoming surgery. Know that we will all be rooting for you.

Edited by Davy G
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Davy G said:

Most of the regular maintenance wfp work up to second level should really be little more than light to moderate exercise with good, lightweight equipment and efficient technique. Certainly for anyone in good health and physical fitness. Especially if they are used to manual work or physical activities. Even if you're not it shouldn't be too hard to build enough strength and stamina.

It is harder work if washing gutters, soffits and the like from the ground, which my son and I do quite often. Not everyone realises that the brush has to be within a tolerance of about an inch when doing that type of work. Too close and the brush stalls against the work. Not close enough and the bristles don't scrub. This takes a fair degree of effort and requires a lot of control from the operator.

Some of us on the forum are no longer as young and fit as we once were (65 in my case and had chemo and major surgery a year and a half ago) but I'd like to think we have the grit to do what we're able.

Several of us as can be seen, have had or are having challenges with health or accident issues.

Spruce, I wish you the very best for your upcoming surgery. Know that we will all be rooting for you.

Very good points and a great appraisal of those in the trade

Also sending my wishes to @spruce and hoping all goes well for you

Link to comment
5 hours ago, spruce said:

Unfortunately the only person who can answer that question is you as you are the only one whose knows your state of health and your body. I started at 52. I'm still doing it at 69 but I can only do about a third of the work I used to, and that's with better equipment. It all started to go downhill after a prostate operation in 2009. I'm due for a second one shortly which could spell the end of window cleaning for me.

If you have just started window cleaning and come from an office environment background then manual pole work is going to impact muscles you never knew you had.

What type of work are you doing? I ask as most residential I see on Google Earth is what we would call bungalows in the UK, mostly single story buildings. I've looked on Boat Harbour Drive and Old Maryborough Rd and even the business premises/commercial are single story buildings.

You know your work but I would suggest that you find the lightest, stiffest pole and lightest brush you can for the job you do.

In the UK our residential work comprises mainly houses with 2 or 3 floors. To begin with I used to use a heavier pole for upper windows and swap to a smaller lighter pole for the bottom windows.

 

 

Wishing you a speedy recovery hope all goes well keep us up to date with how it’s going ( obviously only if you want to not trying to pry into your personal life ) I sure I could  speak for us all of us on hear wishing you well ,you are a font of knowledge and always help everyone I personally have learned a lot from you over the years , get well soon my friend .

Link to comment

I've used a good sports massage professional. When I do the exercises she gives me, I'm fine. When I don't do them, I ache!

Link to comment

I had shoulder pain but changed to an electric reel. Shoulder much better and believe it was changing to the electric reel that solved the pain.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Pjj said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery hope all goes well keep us up to date with how it’s going ( obviously only if you want to not trying to pry into your personal life ) I sure I could  speak for us all of us on hear wishing you well ,you are a font of knowledge and always help everyone I personally have learned a lot from you over the years , get well soon my friend .

Thank you all. It's age related and that just the reality of life.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, stayclear said:

Hi everyone,

Just curious if there are any other window cleaners suffering back and shoulder pain after using a water fed pole.  I'm now 51, am i just getting too old or am I doing something wrong?

Any useful tips  greatly appreciated.

 

What poles and brushes are you using? 

How many hours a day do you work?

Do you use a manual reel?

Are you using minibore instead of microbore?

Do you do any strength training?

Link to comment
26 minutes ago, spruce said:

Thank you all. It's age related and that just the reality of life.

All the best 

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, spruce said:

Thank you all. It's age related and that just the reality of life.

Age sneaks up on fast. Hope the surgery goes well and you can get back at it afterwards.

If not I hope you enjoy the time with family and friends and make some great memories!

Edited by swc1
Link to comment

I just bought the new gooseneck with swivel(use with univalve) n supreme  dupont brush. This felt like a great combo so far, lighter than my normal setup, hoping that the brush is a good scrubber, as so far not had anything serious to scrub. if you used the extreme pole that would be a good setup, I dont but may do in future, got to make the job easy as possible.

I'm 47, n have a shoulder injury that is fine with normal resi work, but if working at silly 30ft angles very not happy. I feel wrecked, body feels inflamed after working this week,so feel a bit of your pain. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept