Ionics linear RO system

Pit Creature

Pit Creature

I've just bought a second hand Ionics linear RO system after just using 2xDI vessels until now.

It goes Carbon filter > Water Softener > RO > DI.

I was surprised that it has water softener rather than a sediment filter and it seems to look a lot like DI resin. Is that normal? I've just read that it can be 'recharged' by with a salt wash which doesn't really make sense to me.

Also the DI resin filter needs to be changed. Is there a way of just replacing the resin or do you need to replace the whole thing?

Thanks.

IMG_20210417_184908018.jpg

That’s an ionics Quattro I think the blue coloured filter is  the carbon sediment one the red coloured one is the water  softener , it should go carbon sediment , 5 micron , ro, di , have had lots of ionics stuff like this .  Ionics ros are rubbish and very expensive to replace in fact all there filters are expensive but they do work ok . 

Edited by Pjj
  • Like 1
Pit Creature
5 minutes ago, Pjj said:

That’s an ionics Quattro I think the blue coloured filter is  the carbon sediment one the red coloured one is the water  softener , it should go carbon sediment , 5 micron , ro, di , have had lots of ionics stuff like this .  Ionics ros are rubbish and very expensive to replace in fact all there filters are expensive but they do work ok . 

So should I swap the water softener with a 5 micron? And do they open up to switch the resin? Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Pit Creature said:

So should I swap the water softener with a 5 micron? And do they open up to switch the resin? Cheers.

I think it’s been connected up wrong there is also direction of flow arrows on most of there filters so cheak  that as well . The resin cartridge isn’t re fillable they have to be replaced , in the long term it’s cheaoer to buy a di vessel and recfill that as the ionics filters with vat are around £112 if I remember correctly 

Edited by Pjj
  • Like 1
Pit Creature
17 minutes ago, Pjj said:

I think it’s been connected up wrong there is also direction of flow arrows on most of there filters so cheak  that as well . The resin cartridge isn’t re fillable they have to be replaced , in the long term it’s cheaoer to buy a di vessel and recfill that as the ionics filters with vat are around £112 if I remember correctly 

I've already got a DI vessel so I can just use that. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Pit Creature said:

I've already got a DI vessel so I can just use that. Thanks.

Yes just make sure you have the flow going the correct way 👍

13 minutes ago, Martyn said:

According to the instructions it's 1 carbon/sediment 1 R/O & 2 DI.

The carbon/sediment shoud be perlaced annually.

Huuuuuummmmmm yes you are right I had two of them years ago and they were plumbed as I said , but have just found this on google 

A3A44D83-29CC-402F-A12F-109B699A66B6.png

16FD1E63-B16E-4771-B992-A030C69F322F.png

280AC70E-A8E4-4923-A631-B115EDED48C6.png

6 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Huuuuuummmmmm yes you are right I had two of them years ago and they were plumbed as I said , but have just found this on google 

A3A44D83-29CC-402F-A12F-109B699A66B6.png

16FD1E63-B16E-4771-B992-A030C69F322F.png

280AC70E-A8E4-4923-A631-B115EDED48C6.png

Google's a bu**er aint it? 😁

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

Google's a bu**er aint it? 😁

Google is way better than those large heavy outdated encyclopedia things they had at school 

Pit Creature

I've just read that water softeners can be used pre-RO in hard water areas to help protect the RO membrane.

When I tried it yesterday the RO was reducing the TDS from 160 to 17 so I guess if I just add a DI vessel onto that then it should make my resin last longer anyway.

Cheers for the input.

1 hour ago, Pit Creature said:

I've just read that water softeners can be used pre-RO in hard water areas to help protect the RO membrane.

When I tried it yesterday the RO was reducing the TDS from 160 to 17 so I guess if I just add a DI vessel onto that then it should make my resin last longer anyway.

Cheers for the input.

That should be getting it below 8, if working correctly. That would half your resin usage, have you given it a good flush as I doubt it's been flushed in ages. 

• Like 1
Pit Creature
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

That should be getting it below 8, if working correctly. That would half your resin usage, have you given it a good flush as I doubt it's been flushed in ages. 

I'll give it another go today, may need more of a flush. It was coming out brown to start with!

Edited by Pit Creature
30 minutes ago, Pit Creature said:

I'll give it another go today, may need more of a flush. It was coming out brown to start with!

Eeek! 😮

5 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

I'd be interested to know what facts and figures determine that the carbon filter will last a year 

Ionics quote to change it every 300,000 ltr