Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ionics linear RO system

Pit Creature

I've just bought a second hand Ionics linear RO system after just using 2xDI vessels until now.

It goes Carbon filter > Water Softener > RO > DI.

I was surprised that it has water softener rather than a sediment filter and it seems to look a lot like DI resin. Is that normal? I've just read that it can be 'recharged' by with a salt wash which doesn't really make sense to me.

Also the DI resin filter needs to be changed. Is there a way of just replacing the resin or do you need to replace the whole thing?

Thanks.

IMG_20210417_184908018.jpg

That’s an ionics Quattro I think the blue coloured filter is  the carbon sediment one the red coloured one is the water  softener , it should go carbon sediment , 5 micron , ro, di , have had lots of ionics stuff like this .  Ionics ros are rubbish and very expensive to replace in fact all there filters are expensive but they do work ok . 

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s an ionics Quattro I think the blue coloured filter is  the carbon sediment one the red coloured one is the water  softener , it should go carbon sediment , 5 micron , ro, di , have had lots of ionics stuff like this .  Ionics ros are rubbish and very expensive to replace in fact all there filters are expensive but they do work ok . 
So should I swap the water softener with a 5 micron? And do they open up to switch the resin? Cheers.

So should I swap the water softener with a 5 micron? And do they open up to switch the resin? Cheers.
I think it’s been connected up wrong there is also direction of flow arrows on most of there filters so cheak  that as well . The resin cartridge isn’t re fillable they have to be replaced , in the long term it’s cheaoer to buy a di vessel and recfill that as the ionics filters with vat are around £112 if I remember correctly 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s been connected up wrong there is also direction of flow arrows on most of there filters so cheak  that as well . The resin cartridge isn’t re fillable they have to be replaced , in the long term it’s cheaoer to buy a di vessel and recfill that as the ionics filters with vat are around £112 if I remember correctly 
I've already got a DI vessel so I can just use that. Thanks.

I've just read that water softeners can be used pre-RO in hard water areas to help protect the RO membrane.

When I tried it yesterday the RO was reducing the TDS from 160 to 17 so I guess if I just add a DI vessel onto that then it should make my resin last longer anyway.

Cheers for the input.

I've just read that water softeners can be used pre-RO in hard water areas to help protect the RO membrane.

When I tried it yesterday the RO was reducing the TDS from 160 to 17 so I guess if I just add a DI vessel onto that then it should make my resin last longer anyway.

Cheers for the input.
That should be getting it below 8, if working correctly. That would half your resin usage, have you given it a good flush as I doubt it's been flushed in ages. 

Latest Posts

Back