Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is it legal to add washing up liquid to sodium hypochlorite

Pjj

Premium Member
I know this has been a very contentious subject and I have posted on it many times but came across  this from the Benz web site and the HSE directive  , it’s crystal clear unless it’s an approved additive it is illegal to add anything to hypo products . Hopefully this will be useful to ones and finally put the argument to bed . 

386DEA79-AA80-4965-94EA-50995F3AEDE8.png

I know this has been a very contentious subject and I have posted on it many times but came across  this from the Benz web site and the HSE directive  , it’s crystal clear unless it’s an approved additive it is illegal to add anything to hypo products . Hopefully this will be useful to ones and finally put the argument to bed . 

View attachment 24251
I love the smell of chlorine gas in the morning. 

I can imagine that there are persons out there mixing chemicals without a care in the world 

OK so anyone know where the approved additive list that can be added to hypo can be found?
It's a minefield of unknowns. There is plenty of listed DO NOT mix guides but nothing obvious on approved additives 

Sodium hypochlorite and alcohol is the worst creating chloroform learnt that many years ago, part of NBC 

I love the smell of chlorine gas in the morning. 

I can imagine that there are persons out there mixing chemicals without a care in the world 
Lad on Facebook the other day saying how hypo mixed with fairly works wonders on a first clean. Personally I had no idea your not meant to mix chemical (never used chemical, thankfully) ?

OK so anyone know where the approved additive list that can be added to hypo can be found?
Most of the approved additives are sold by reputable firms like bonnymans and are advertised as ok to be added to hypochlorite  

Lad on Facebook the other day saying how hypo mixed with fairly works wonders on a first clean. Personally I had no idea your not meant to mix chemical (never used chemical, thankfully) ?
Washing up liquid doesn’t mix with hypo it curdles and firms a thick gell like substance at the bottom of the barrel , it also weakens the mix as it takes the strength out of the hypo . 

On a side note quite a few of my softwash jobs I have a gfs clean on the same house aswell as a separate job - I use virosol for that. I am not doing these processes on the same day atm for the reason I don’t want any mixing of the two chemicals - how are other approaching gfs on softwash jobs ? I was thinking I am missing a trick - would I be better off just using a diluted down hypo mix for the gfs sections after I have finished the softwash ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read on benz website it is also technically illegal to use any hypo for softwash jobs as unless it has been approved like theirs has you are using biocides/chemicals not designed for softwashing and are breaking the law.

Or so they would have you believe.

So why do other companies supply surfactants etc then??

On a side note quite a few of my softwash jobs I have a gfs clean on the same house aswell as a separate job - I use virosol for that. I am not doing these processes on the same day atm for the reason I don’t want any mixing of the two chemicals - how are other approaching gfs on softwash jobs ? I was thinking I am missing a trick and could be better off just using a diluted down hypo mix for the gfs sections after I have finished the softwash 
1% mix on the fascias etc is perfect.

Also once rinsed thoroughly there is no harm using virosol etc afterwards .

On a side note quite a few of my softwash jobs I have a gfs clean on the same house aswell as a separate job - I use virosol for that. I am not doing these processes on the same day atm for the reason I don’t want any mixing of the two chemicals - how are other approaching gfs on softwash jobs ? I was thinking I am missing a trick - would I be better off just using a diluted down hypo mix for the gfs sections after I have finished the softwash ?
Just use the hypo mix on the plastics as well that’s what we do and it brings them up really well sometimes it will remove the grey look and brightens them up really well ,we have started using it more than virisol recently with really good results , don’t  like hypo though but it does a good job 

Just use the hypo mix on the plastics as well that’s what we do and it brings them up really well sometimes it will remove the grey look and brightens them up really well ,we have started using it more than virisol recently with really good results , don’t  like hypo though but it does a good job 
Would you avoid it on metal gutters ?

Sodium hypochlorite and metal from my knowledge is a no no as the high PH attacks the molecular structure causing accelerated corrosion 

And sodium hypochlorite on aluminium produces explosive hydrogen gas 
Most firms use hypo mixes on plastic coated aluminium panels on very large commercial buildings without any problems provided it’s applied and then rinsed well I don’t think corrosion is a problem we do it all the time it’s only a weak mix that’s used . Again it’s working outside and in fresh air with a little breeze there is no build up of anything to cause a problem . 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back