Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

UPVC Restoration

Mark75

Hi Guys I know you Don't like talking about Pricing but could do with some Help . I have a Customer who has a Bungalow and she wants all her frames and Conservatory back to New .How much do you guys Charge for this service , i have done the odd frame for a Customer who had pointed out 1 or 2 or a small back Door and I have not Charged But this lady wants every Frame and sill done and Conservatory , I Normaly Use Thompsons UPVC Restorer  , Does anyone use Unger Rub out and think it's better if they have used Both . Any help would be amazing . 

Hi Guys I know you Don't like talking about Pricing but could do with some Help . I have a Customer who has a Bungalow and she wants all her frames and Conservatory back to New .How much do you guys Charge for this service , i have done the odd frame for a Customer who had pointed out 1 or 2 or a small back Door and I have not Charged But this lady wants every Frame and sill done and Conservatory , I Normaly Use Thompsons UPVC Restorer  , Does anyone use Unger Rub out and think it's better if they have used Both . Any help would be amazing . 
Never did this job myself, but just bear in mind it’ll probably be more hard work than window cleaning. So even if it’s only a hours work it may end up knocking two hours off your day. So it’s weather your happy to make less that day (need the work) or will need to charge more per hour. ? 

Thanks that gives me some idea now appreciate it Pjj

Never did this job myself, but just bear in mind it’ll probably be more hard work than window cleaning. So even if it’s only a hours work it may end up knocking two hours off your day. So it’s weather your happy to make less that day (need the work) or will need to charge more per hour. ? 
Very true its a road where they are nearly all Bungalows so hoping I pick up a few by Doing the work for her 

Last edited by a moderator:
Who much are you worth per hour is the obvious answer 

With respect, we can't see the condition of the aforementioned task in hand, we don't know your ability hourly rate or access plan 

Who much are you worth per hour is the obvious answer 

With respect, we can't see the condition of the aforementioned task in hand, we don't know your ability hourly rate or access plan 
True well I am Happy with 150 a day , I work from 9.30 to 12.30 with a Tea Break  , The Condition is not that bad at all to be fair but it is on the Market so that's why she wants it done . And Access Plan if you mean can i Reach all the windows and Guttering from the Floor the answer is Yes I am Slightly taller than a Hobbit 

I'd be very cautious on this one. She wants it restored "to new."  I'd be doubtful that's possible. If you clean it with strong products like upvc restorer will it also take any remaining shine off the plastic? How long will it take to do the job? How hard will you have to work? Will you get it to a standard that will satisfy both the customer and yourself? Will it cause you a lot of stress and effort that you could do without? What if you do all this hard work and she's not happy with the result and the price you would need to charge for the hard work and time?

One of the main reasons I chose to start my business was to reduce stress in making a living and another important reason was to have more freedom in choosing what work I was prepared to take on. I'm always wary of getting bogged down with jobs like this one and avoid any kind of restoration work because of the time, effort and unforeseeable results.

I can't make something old and weathered new again, anymore than I can make myself sixteen again. I get it as good as I can with a wash or soapwash but I don't want to lose sleep over someone hiring me to perform miracles. ?

True well I am Happy with 150 a day , I work from 9.30 to 12.30 with a Tea Break  , The Condition is not that bad at all to be fair but it is on the Market so that's why she wants it done . And Access Plan if you mean can i Reach all the windows and Guttering from the Floor the answer is Yes I am Slightly taller than a Hobbit 
What's a tea break? 

I'd be very cautious on this one. She wants it restored "to new."  I'd be doubtful that's possible. If you clean it with strong products like upvc restorer will it also take any remaining shine off the plastic? How long will it take to do the job? How hard will you have to work? Will you get it to a standard that will satisfy both the customer and yourself? Will it cause you a lot of stress and effort that you could do without? What if you do all this hard work and she's not happy with the result and the price you would need to charge for the hard work and time?

One of the main reasons I chose to start my business was to reduce stress in making a living and another important reason was to have more freedom in choosing what work I was prepared to take on. I'm always wary of getting bogged down with jobs like this one and avoid any kind of restoration work because of the time, effort and unforeseeable results.

I can't make something old and weathered new again, anymore than I can make myself sixteen again. I get it as good as I can with a wash or soapwash but I don't want to lose sleep over someone hiring me to perform miracles. ?
Hi Davy I know what you are saying,  I did explain to her I can make it look a lot better than it does , but not like brand new she seemed happy . I am hoping it will bring me some work in the road . But am still wary of people's expectations 

I know I can imagine me standing there all day while the seals drip out dirt non stop after being cleaned for the first time in 3 or 4 years 
A regular custy of mine of around 15 years has really old white frames and they are black and grey with weeping seals the window frames look a mess every time I clean them, the only solution is to replace the windows but she doesn't want to and has been adamant for years she doesn't want to change them and they are on the front of the house 

If the rubber seals are perished and weep black crud over the frames then i wouldnt touch it.....

If not then you can do a great job of getting white UPVC frames up using CIF cream cleaner,WFP and  melamine foam(magic sponge)...

But am still wary of people's expectations 
I cant help with pricing,  but in regards to customer expectation a simple way to put it to the customers like this...

Mrs/Mr I will get xxxx looking the best we can. Weather and time has been kinda harsh on (what ever your cleaning ) I've cleaned a few that came out good and some others come about 75% but look 100% better then it is now.

That normally for me works and let's the customer that your experienced and you get it looking the best you can.

Hope helps, good luck on getting more work from this job.

Back