Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First day out canvassing today! Roasted!

JakdeDiamond

Update for you all, cleaned the sports facility at work, in and out. Took quite a long time but looked good in the end. The panes had a lot of what seemed like glue on which was difficult to remove, even with the razor.

Cleaned my family house to get some practice on leadeds, actually seemed quite easy compared to what I was expecting. 

Ordered my ladders - double pointer. 

The biggest thing today was that I started canvassing, a couple of hours to smash out a nice street near me netted me my first 3 customers!

First one was a lovely lady, want's all exteriors, a standard 3 bed with 4 conservatory panes. I quoted £40 for the first clean and £30 for every 6 weeks after, starting from the 3rd May.

Second house was pretty much the same, conservatory and some small windows on the front, one on the side of the property and a slightly awkward one that I'll have to get on the 1st floor roofing for. Same price - £40 first clean and £30 from then on. 

Now the third customer is one I am curious about. Hardly any windows on the front. Big conservatory on the rear and a skylight that the customer wants me to clean the exterior of. Easy access to it which is great. But quite a lot of glass. - I bottled it a bit and quoted £40 first clean again! £30 from then on.

I just couldn't get it into my head that she would accept a higher price, and I always said I wouldn't be one of those people quoting low, she seemed surprised at my quote and almost bit my hand off to get it. I knew then that I had gone far too low. 

Despite quoting low on the 3rd job, I am really happy to have my first customers in the books. It was very nerve-wracking for me to get out there and get started. I plan to go tomorrow evening to the neighbouring street and try to get some more for that day. 

Using SqueeGee app trial and it seemed quite nice and slick adding the custy and their addresses etc. 

What is everyone else's experience the first time that they canvassed? Were you nervous at all? 

Lovely sunny day,

Jake

Well done mate, I assume you were door knocking? Did you have leaflet or business cards as well?

How many custys did you speak to to get the 3 and did you win all quotes? 

I would say that starting out you will make mistakes on pricing, don't kick yourself just treat it as getting paid to learn more ? 

Well done mate, I assume you were door knocking? Did you have leaflet or business cards as well?

How many custys did you speak to to get the 3 and did you win all quotes? 

I would say that starting out you will make mistakes on pricing, don't kick yourself just treat it as getting paid to learn more ? 
Thank you Ched!

Yes mate door knocking, was bricking it the first couple I won't lie! 

Must have spoken to a good 25/30 and I think getting one quite early on was a confidence booster, got to nail down my pitch though. 

Yes mate got all quotes accepted, it's a nice area with lots of glass. I will do the next street tomorrow. Given myself that week in between to gather enough custys for a day's worth of work!

That's a really good point mate, getting paid to learn, love it. 

Had a little issue with some hard water on my mums kitchen window where the hose has splashed. Ordered some Unger rub stuff to try and sort that.

Hope you've enjoyed the sun a bit!

I'm not sure Unger rub out is the best thing for hard water stains on glass plus it's expensive. For upvc cleaning look at 'The Pink Stuff' either paste (£0.86 from The range) or the liquid version.

For hard water stains I have been led to believe that the following are good, not that I have tried any of them:

HG Professional Limescale Remover
Kilrock  from the range Gel 
Cillit Bang limescale remover

or Viakal 

Check the containers in case any of them say not to use on glass.

If they are going to be first cleans make sure you don't pack too many in in one day as it will be hard work. Might be worth having some Ubix 2000, ViroSol, or ScrewFix degreaser (diluted appropriately) in a spray bottle so you can spray your brush and apply the chemicals to help remove the grime.

I missed the sun today as I was in garage trying to waterproof my old concrete sectional garage that leaks under the panels when it rains.

Did you leaflet the ones you didn't manage to speak to or are you keeping notes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Update for you all, cleaned the sports facility at work, in and out. Took quite a long time but looked good in the end. The panes had a lot of what seemed like glue on which was difficult to remove, even with the razor.

Cleaned my family house to get some practice on leadeds, actually seemed quite easy compared to what I was expecting. 

The biggest thing today was that I started canvassing, a couple of hours to smash out a nice street near me netted me my first 3 customers!

First one was a lovely lady, want's all exteriors, a standard 3 bed with 4 conservatory panes. I quoted £40 for the first clean and £30 for every 6 weeks after, starting from the 3rd May.

Second house was pretty much the same, conservatory and some small windows on the front, one on the side of the property and a slightly awkward one that I'll have to get on the 1st floor roofing for. Same price - £40 first clean and £30 from then on. 

Now the third customer is one I am curious about. Hardly any windows on the front. Big conservatory on the rear and a skylight that the customer wants me to clean the exterior of. Easy access to it which is great. But quite a lot of glass. - I bottled it a bit and quoted £40 first clean again! £30 from then on.

I just couldn't get it into my head that she would accept a higher price, and I always said I wouldn't be one of those people quoting low, she seemed surprised at my quote and almost bit my hand off to get it. I knew then that I had gone far too low. 

Despite quoting low on the 3rd job, I am really happy to have my first customers in the books. It was very nerve-wracking for me to get out there and get started. I plan to go tomorrow evening to the neighbouring street and try to get some more for that day. 

Using SqueeGee app trial and it seemed quite nice and slick adding the custy and their addresses etc. 

What is everyone else's experience the first time that they canvassed? Were you nervous at all? 

Lovely sunny day,

Jake
Mate this is cracking! My first customer was £7 ?

Very nervous the first times I went out. Found myself nervous going out whenever I hadn’t been out for a while. I kept it simple ‘do you need a window cleaner’.  I also kept a note of who I got in & who I didn’t, plus who said no or ‘come back’. So. I could do exactly that. 

Squeegee is a cracking bit of software with a great team behind it! Always happy to provide help if you need it. ?

I have only been going 3 or 4 years and I remember when I first went out. Every job I priced in the wrong direction and that was down the way. After doing that many one finally gets fed up with it and the prices begin to rise. With all the experience, I don't even flinch when I offer the price because I know what it entails and will increase the value of their home or it needs done for insurance policy. I believe you will begin to change when you get busier and see your true potential for what its worth.

I ran a successful business and set this up for my son to do. We got a £30, fortnightly job and was so excited even my Wife got sick of me talking about it.

The same day I did a deal, that took me 5 minutes that made me more then the new window cleaning job would do in 6 months but wasn't in the slightest bit bothered 

Still get the buzz when I get a well paid job, even though it makes no difference nowadays. The day I don't will be the day it's time to call it a day.

I'm not sure Unger rub out is the best thing for hard water stains on glass plus it's expensive. For upvc cleaning look at 'The Pink Stuff' either paste (£0.86 from The range) or the liquid version.

For hard water stains I have been led to believe that the following are good, not that I have tried any of them:

or Viakal 

If they are going to be first cleans make sure you don't pack too many in in one day as it will be hard work. Might be worth having some Ubix 2000, ViroSol, or ScrewFix degreaser (diluted appropriately) in a spray bottle so you can spray your brush and apply the chemicals to help remove the grime.

I missed the sun today as I was in garage trying to waterproof my old concrete sectional garage that leaks under the panels when it rains.

Did you leaflet the ones you didn't manage to speak to or are you keeping notes?
Viakal is great stuff. Available from Poundland 

or Viakal 

Ooh I'll keep my eyes out for those! That surely will be a case of me being new and typing in 'hard water spots remover' into Google! 

I've got a bottle of the pink stuff in my belt which has been great on the few jobs I've done. Smells great too! ?

I'm expecting to be absolutely fried after 3 first cleans mate, did a first clean on my Mrs house and it was an absolute disgrace, I'll attach a picture so you can see what I mean! 

With those chemicals would you spray on, what would you agitate with? And then rinse off somehow? Or have I got the process wrong there? 

Hopefully the weather stays nice mate, although that's an honourable job for today from you! 

Leaflets anyone not in mate. 

Screenshot_20210418-150201__01.jpg

Mate this is cracking! My first customer was £7 ?

Very nervous the first times I went out. Found myself nervous going out whenever I hadn’t been out for a while. I kept it simple ‘do you need a window cleaner’.  I also kept a note of who I got in & who I didn’t, plus who said no or ‘come back’. So. I could do exactly that. 

Squeegee is a cracking bit of software with a great team behind it! Always happy to provide help if you need it. ?
7 quid?! ? Makes me feel a little bit better Alejandro! 

I definitely want to simplify my pitch because I was tripping over words a little bit.. 

Thank you mate I might have to take you up on that! 

I ran a successful business and set this up for my son to do. We got a £30, fortnightly job and was so excited even my Wife got sick of me talking about it.

The same day I did a deal, that took me 5 minutes that made me more then the new window cleaning job would do in 6 months but wasn't in the slightest bit bothered 

Still get the buzz when I get a well paid job, even though it makes no difference nowadays. The day I don't will be the day it's time to call it a day.
That's awesome! I've already told everyone who's anyone to me about it haha! 

Like others have said it's lucky that even underpriced it's a good hourly to be learning and adapting. I'm excited!

Viakal is great stuff. Available from Poundland 
Would you use this only on hard water spots mate? Think I had some for the dishwasher before ?

Congratulations mate, it takes balls to go door knocking so well done. 

I remember the first door I ever knocked, i'd practiced my pitch religiously for a few days and as soon as the woman opened the door I could barely speak, I stuttered & muttered my way through it and luckily the woman was lovely but declined my services, once I'd done 5 houses I started to really enjoy it. 

Don't worry about getting a few prices wrong you'll soon get the hang of it, almost every fit woman on my round is underpriced ?

With those chemicals would you spray on, what would you agitate with? And then rinse off somehow? Or have I got the process wrong there? 
You can use just a garden spray bottle the 1 litre type ones. Mix up at recommended ratio. Then you can spray ground floor directly with spray bottle + agitate and for upper floors spray onto your brush then agitate - wet the frames and glass before applying chemicals and don't let them dry!!!!! Then rise and clean as normal with pure.

You never know you might get some calls from the leaflets as well. 

Just had a thought: you are a wfp windy aren't you? Otherwise using a wfp to agitate might be tricky ?

Congratulations mate, it takes balls to go door knocking so well done. 

I remember the first door I ever knocked, i'd practiced my pitch religiously for a few days and as soon as the woman opened the door I could barely speak, I stuttered & muttered my way through it and luckily the woman was lovely but declined my services, once I'd done 5 houses I started to really enjoy it. 

Don't worry about getting a few prices wrong you'll soon get the hang of it, almost every fit woman on my round is underpriced ?
Haha thank you very much Doddy mate! 

I think I was lucky because the first custy was absolutely wonderful and was all over anything I offered, said she wants gutters in summer and all that. Didn't want to **** it up but she made it easier so I got a stroke of luck there.

Love that ??

You can use just a garden spray bottle the 1 litre type ones. Mix up at recommended ratio. Then you can spray ground floor directly with spray bottle + agitate and for upper floors spray onto your brush then agitate - wet the frames and glass before applying chemicals and don't let them dry!!!!! Then rise and clean as normal with pure.

You never know you might get some calls from the leaflets as well. 
Ok perfect Ched thanks buddy. 

I'll get one of them spray bottles I've been meaning too anyway. 

I don't use pure mate I'm trad for now. I'm sure I can work out a way to rinse though. 

Thanks pal!

Ok perfect Ched thanks buddy. 

I'll get one of them spray bottles I've been meaning too anyway. 

I don't use pure mate I'm trad for now. I'm sure I can work out a way to rinse though. 

Thanks pal!
Maybe 2 spray bottles. 1 chemical, 2nd for water to wet your microfibre to wipe off. 

Good luck for tomorrow and let us know how you get on.

Sounds like a plan stan!

Of course mate will do, thanks again for all your help so far!
Glad I can offer any help. I am still waiting to start wfp. I have been waiting to start since Feb LAST year! Just waiting to have second jab and then 3 weeks to be as safe as I can, my partner has blood cancer so she's vulnerable.

Hope to actually get door knocking end of June! So for the last 14 months I have been reading and watching everything I can to learn as much as possible plus cleaning my windows on a very regular basis ? 

So any tips on canvassing are very helpful ? 

Lovely sunny day,

Jake
Presume your WFP, but doing first cleans as a newbie will take it out of you physically till you get used to the work as your using different muscles etc. So advice not to pack too many first cleans in a particular day otherwise you may end up letting customers down by having to cancel due to running late.

Presume your WFP, but doing first cleans as a newbie will take it out of you physically till you get used to the work as your using different muscles etc. So advice not to pack too many first cleans in a particular day otherwise you may end up letting customers down by having to cancel due to running late.
Cheers Mike! Definitely feeling some new muscles already ?

I'm trad matey. So probably take even longer lol!

It's a pity you dont have a wfp set up(you will if you stick at window cleaning)....as you could get a lot more work cleaning add ons too(conny roofs and f/s/g)at this time of year....

Glad I can offer any help. I am still waiting to start wfp. I have been waiting to start since Feb LAST year! Just waiting to have second jab and then 3 weeks to be as safe as I can, my partner has blood cancer so she's vulnerable.

Hope to actually get door knocking end of June! So for the last 14 months I have been reading and watching everything I can to learn as much as possible plus cleaning my windows on a very regular basis ? 

So any tips on canvassing are very helpful ? 
Morning @ched999uk
My tip for canvassing is to be your normal pleasant self. Don't complicate it. I haven't canvassed for about six years. I never used any clever script. I used to just say something like "Hello! Sorry to bother you. I'm doing a window cleaning service in the area and wondered if you might be interested?" This was polite, quick and easy to say so would allow me to cover ground efficiently and quickly.

No fancy or false promises that I'm the best or the cheapest. I never used leaflets at any time. I don't like them. Always business cards only (I now carry four types, a pen and a sandwich bag in a dedicated wallet for new prospects and walkups).

When someone would show an interest I'd take a proper, walk around look and do a mental rehearsal of me doing the job. I'd write the price (first wash and regular) and frequency (usually 6 weekly) on the back of the card and give it to the prospective customer. I now give them the card in a Ziploc sandwich bag and explain that they will be notified the day before and reminded to please make sure to unlock the gate in the morning and to leave the payment in the bag in an agreed safe place out the back so I can collect it when I'm doing the job.

In my opinion cards are less likely to end up in recycling along with pizza, hedge cutting and estate agents leaflets. I advise them to keep the card in a drawer for future reference. I make notes of contact details, price, frequency etc for recruited customers in a pocket notebook. This is how I do it. We each have our own methods. ?

I wish the very best to your good lady with her health problems.

Morning @ched999uk
My tip for canvassing is to be your normal pleasant self. Don't complicate it. I haven't canvassed for about six years. I never used any clever script. I used to just say something like "Hello! Sorry to bother you. I'm doing a window cleaning service in the area and wondered if you might be interested?" This was polite, quick and easy to say so would allow me to cover ground efficiently and quickly.

No fancy or false promises that I'm the best or the cheapest. I never used leaflets at any time. I don't like them. Always business cards only (I now carry four types, a pen and a sandwich bag in a dedicated wallet for new prospects and walkups).

When someone would show an interest I'd take a proper, walk around look and do a mental rehearsal of me doing the job. I'd write the price (first wash and regular) and frequency (usually 6 weekly) on the back of the card and give it to the prospective customer. I now give them the card in a Ziploc sandwich bag and explain that they will be notified the day before and reminded to make sure to unlock the gate in the morning and to leave the payment in the bag in an agreed safe place out the back so I can collect it when I'm doing the job.

In my opinion cards are less likely to end up in recycling along with pizza, hedge cutting and estate agents leaflets. I advise them to keep the card in a drawer for future reference. I make notes of contact details, price, frequency etc for recruited customers in a pocket notebook. This is how I do it. We each have our own methods. ?

I wish the very best to your good lady with her health problems.
Being the londoner I am I have no script.. I just knock and say hello sweetheart/luv/mate do you need a window cleaner.

I don't know if it's the cheeky londoner but I get a good response. 

Scripted patter seems to fall on deaf ears.

Ask the question and get an answer,  job done.

Latest Posts

Back