Gardiner backpack pump help

I think the pump is has some dirt inside it, is it possible to clear it out and out back?

I've got a lot of work lined up and want a quick fix before ordering a new one.

The battery is in good health so I know it's not that.

Thank you

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apw1210

• scottish cleaning service

• Den

• TopNotch

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a late night producing an informative, educational & in depth custom video which has been edited, processed and finally uploaded to YouTube just for you. It has been split into two vide

I personally don't use them for long term use. Especially in a trolley setup with humidity as they deteriorate and the jaws rust  Just set up ready to film a YouTube video tomorrow on how to make

Vauxhall Vivaro & Renault traffic are reliable. I currently have an immaculate 15 plate Citroen berlingo first that's served me well. I only changed the clutch last week after 125,000 miles it's d

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TopNotch said:

I think the pump is has some dirt inside it, is it possible to clear it out and out back?

Thank you

OBVIOUS QUESTION.. IS IT STILL UNDER WARRANTY ??

Remove the bottom cover plate

Remove the pump and ensure you don't disturb the awfully cheap wiring 

And on the pump check the inlet. You can disassemble a diaphragm pump but you need to be careful and rinse the diaphragm seals under a tap.

A very similar example 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

And on the pump check the inlet. You can disassemble a diaphragm pump but you need to be careful and rinse the diaphragm seals under a tap.

A very similar example 

Lol at the cheap wiring. Terrible design aswell if you have a problem and have to tip it upside down if you already have it filled 

4 hours ago, TopNotch said:

Thank you

There shouldn’t be any dirt in the pump as there is a filter in the tank that should catch it and prevent it going into the pump 

scottish cleaning service
31 minutes ago, Pjj said:

There shouldn’t be any dirt in the pump as there is a filter in the tank that should catch it and prevent it going into the pump 

Did you ever buy the replaceable pump and change it over once its done in with the hypo?

Replaced the pump in my garden backpack the weekend a £10 Chinese pump off EBay. Won’t help you for tomorrow but If you order one tonight and hopefully you will get it by the weekend . 

Edited by Den
  • Like 1
scottish cleaning service
9 minutes ago, Den said:

Replaced the pump in my garden backpack the weekend a £10 Chinese pump off EBay. Won’t help you for tomorrow but If you order one tonight and hopefully you will get it by the weekend . 

What's it called on ebay?

47 minutes ago, THL4KEL said:

I need to get a new backpack my gardiner has started playing up. Just stops. Then I switch it off and on and it works again.

Check the cheap Chineseium wiring and switch pin contacts are tight and free from galvanic corrosion or in simple terms crud 

Check the fuse connection are tight 

Check the battery connections are tight 

Replace the flow controller simple..

£11.50 plus vat 

Or  £11 plus vat from Darren at DA Components 

Dirt cheap to repair 

10 minutes ago, Den said:

With respect you're adding dirt cheap non reliable components. 

Why not support a British based company selling tried and tested equipment such as Darren at DA Components and for a few quid more get the chemical rated viton pump 

• Agree 2
54 minutes ago, THL4KEL said:

I had this issue before, sorted it by crimping the wires to the battery

3 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

A very similar example 

I followed the video thank you, no luck it's still trickling out, I have been lately pinching the hose and the backpack pump used to cut out (like an auto shut off) and after a while it stopped doing this and kept trying to pump.

Warranty ran out, not used this much as I've been on and off window cleaning.

4 minutes ago, TopNotch said:

I followed the video thank you, no luck it's still trickling out, I have been lately pinching the hose and the backpack pump used to cut out (like an auto shut off) and after a while it stopped doing this and kept trying to pump.

killed the pump pressure switch or overworked the diaphragm by pinching the hose. Small pumps don't like being pressure stopped in my opinion.

I've never owned a backpack but I fixed around 6 and rewired them. One chap I know used a univalve and left the backpack on when taking lunch breaks. The pump finally let the smoke out as it kept surging 

Just now, Apw1210 said:

killed the pump pressure switch or overworked the diaphragm by pinching the hose. Small pumps don't like being pressure stopped in my opinion.

I've never owned a backpack but I fixed around 6 and rewired them. One chap I know used a univalve and left the backpack on when taking lunch breaks. The pump finally let the smoke out as it kept surging 

Buy a new pump 

6 minutes ago, TopNotch said:

Does it still cut in and out if you put the switch to full flow? If it still cuts out then it points to battery, fuse or switch. There is quite often condensation that gets in the connections and causes corrosion and a voltage drop. So check battery, fuse and switch connections.  

Just now, ched999uk said:

Does it still cut in and out if you put the switch to full flow? If it still cuts out then it points to battery, fuse or switch. There is quite often condensation that gets in the connections and causes corrosion and a voltage drop. So check battery, fuse and switch connections.  

I don't cut out and tried it on with the charger plugged in, I'll check the fuse and switch connectors, thank you

2 minutes ago, TopNotch said:

I don't cut out and tried it on with the charger plugged in, I'll check the fuse and switch connectors, thank you

My best advice for you, If you are capable buy a new flow controller. New pump new switch and rebuild it if you can't pin point the fault. 

1 hour ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Did you ever buy the replaceable pump and change it over once its done in with the hypo?

Never had a pump fail due to hypo Evan after 3 years use , they always failed on the wiring and switches , once they became unreliable I just bought a new one at £115 cheap as chips paid for on one job 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Never had a pump fail due to hypo Evan after 3 years use , they always failed on the wiring and switches , once they became unreliable I just bought a new one at £115 cheap as chips paid for on one job 

I agree from what I've heard. A very consumable item like you say. If you need one then price it into a job when it fails bin it.

I think there are alot of guys that only have backpacks and no immediate backup system 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
36 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

My best advice for you, If you are capable buy a new flow controller. New pump new switch and rebuild it if you can't pin point the fault. 

I think will, I'm might be doing a 5 hour drive for a second hand one tomorrow 😣

Might get a chem pump for this one in the future maybe.

Might to upgrade in the future or even make one like yours.