Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner backpack pump help

TopNotch

I think the pump is has some dirt inside it, is it possible to clear it out and out back?

I've got a lot of work lined up and want a quick fix before ordering a new one.

The battery is in good health so I know it's not that.

Thank you

I think the pump is has some dirt inside it, is it possible to clear it out and out back?

Thank you

OBVIOUS QUESTION.. IS IT STILL UNDER WARRANTY ??

Remove the bottom cover plate

Remove the pump and ensure you don't disturb the awfully cheap wiring 

And on the pump check the inlet. You can disassemble a diaphragm pump but you need to be careful and rinse the diaphragm seals under a tap.

A very similar example 

55 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

And on the pump check the inlet. You can disassemble a diaphragm pump but you need to be careful and rinse the diaphragm seals under a tap.

A very similar example 

Lol at the cheap wiring. Terrible design aswell if you have a problem and have to tip it upside down if you already have it filled 

Thank you
There shouldn’t be any dirt in the pump as there is a filter in the tank that should catch it and prevent it going into the pump 

Replaced the pump in my garden backpack the weekend a £10 Chinese pump off EBay. Won’t help you for tomorrow but If you order one tonight and hopefully you will get it by the weekend . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get a new backpack my gardiner has started playing up. Just stops. Then I switch it off and on and it works again.

I need to get a new backpack my gardiner has started playing up. Just stops. Then I switch it off and on and it works again.
Check the cheap Chineseium wiring and switch pin contacts are tight and free from galvanic corrosion or in simple terms crud 

Check the fuse connection are tight 

Check the battery connections are tight 

Replace the flow controller simple..

£11.50 plus vat 

Or  £11 plus vat from Darren at DA Components 

Dirt cheap to repair 

3 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

A very similar example 

I followed the video thank you, no luck it's still trickling out, I have been lately pinching the hose and the backpack pump used to cut out (like an auto shut off) and after a while it stopped doing this and kept trying to pump.

Warranty ran out, not used this much as I've been on and off window cleaning.

I followed the video thank you, no luck it's still trickling out, I have been lately pinching the hose and the backpack pump used to cut out (like an auto shut off) and after a while it stopped doing this and kept trying to pump.

killed the pump pressure switch or overworked the diaphragm by pinching the hose. Small pumps don't like being pressure stopped in my opinion.

I've never owned a backpack but I fixed around 6 and rewired them. One chap I know used a univalve and left the backpack on when taking lunch breaks. The pump finally let the smoke out as it kept surging 

Apw1210 said:
 killed the pump pressure switch or overworked the diaphragm by pinching the hose. Small pumps don't like being pressure stopped in my opinion.

I've never owned a backpack but I fixed around 6 and rewired them. One chap I know used a univalve and left the backpack on when taking lunch breaks. The pump finally let the smoke out as it kept surging 
Buy a new pump 

Does it still cut in and out if you put the switch to full flow? If it still cuts out then it points to battery, fuse or switch. There is quite often condensation that gets in the connections and causes corrosion and a voltage drop. So check battery, fuse and switch connections.  

Does it still cut in and out if you put the switch to full flow? If it still cuts out then it points to battery, fuse or switch. There is quite often condensation that gets in the connections and causes corrosion and a voltage drop. So check battery, fuse and switch connections.  
I don't cut out and tried it on with the charger plugged in, I'll check the fuse and switch connectors, thank you

I don't cut out and tried it on with the charger plugged in, I'll check the fuse and switch connectors, thank you
My best advice for you, If you are capable buy a new flow controller. New pump new switch and rebuild it if you can't pin point the fault. 

Never had a pump fail due to hypo Evan after 3 years use , they always failed on the wiring and switches , once they became unreliable I just bought a new one at £115 cheap as chips paid for on one job 
I agree from what I've heard. A very consumable item like you say. If you need one then price it into a job when it fails bin it.

I think there are alot of guys that only have backpacks and no immediate backup system 

My best advice for you, If you are capable buy a new flow controller. New pump new switch and rebuild it if you can't pin point the fault. 
I think will, I'm might be doing a 5 hour drive for a second hand one tomorrow ?

Might get a chem pump for this one in the future maybe.

Might to upgrade in the future or even make one like yours.

I think will, I'm might be doing a 5 hour drive for a second hand one tomorrow ?

Might get a chem pump for this one in the future maybe.

Might to upgrade in the future or even make one like yours.
Please stay away from ebay junk.

I'm not affiliated with DA Components and only a customer but valve the service and parts

Also there's Daqua, Ben at Rutland pumps, Gardiner if they aren't waiting for 3 months, 

Back