Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First year off windowcleaning

The decision that I was going to run my business the way I wanted. That I was going to use free and original thinking  to be as efficient and fast as practically possible while still being able to do first class work. That I was going to strive for excellence not perfection. That I was no longer going to take too much sh.t from anyone as I sometimes had to in employment.
That I was going to stay focused on improving the business as I went along. That I was going to start out with proper pricing, thinking of the road ahead and the other guys who had built their businesses rather than go in cheap just to get started.

Oh, and the money I "made in the first year?" Close to if not slightly better than I had earned in employment working for utility, and heavy haulage firms. ?

What did yous all make on the first year off window cleaning ? 
With respect,  I think asking personal business related questions with regards to finance and personal income is a no no.

Some may be honest some may have earned more than they've publicly accounted for and big brother may be watching.

I believe from the nature of your question that you are thinking of becoming a window cleaner ? 

How much money you can make isn't really the ethos of any business in my opinion.

It's based on the Standard and quality of your work, your reputation skill & customer service 

Also, the equipment isn't cheap 

Last edited by a moderator:
With respect,  I think asking personal business related questions with regards to finance and personal income is a no no.

Some may be honest some may have earned more than they've publicly accounted for and big brother may be watching.

I believe from the nature of your question that you are thinking of becoming a window cleaner ? 

How much money you can make isn't really the ethos of any business in my opinion.

It's based on the Standard and quality of your work, your reputation skill & customer service 

Also, the equipment isn't cheap 
Not looking for exact figures just what your business turned over in the first year 

Turn over not actually been off 
I don't think anyone is going to give you figures, that is very personal information.

Everybody's experience will be different, some will throw everything at it and be earning good money in a few months, others will build slowly.

Are you asking for a reason? Do you think you haven't done enough? Do you think you are killng it?

I don't think anyone is going to give you figures, that is very personal information.

Everybody's experience will be different, some will throw everything at it and be earning good money in a few months, others will build slowly.

Are you asking for a reason? Do you think you haven't done enough? Do you think you are killng it?
Just to see how fast people progress’d we turned over around £44k in our first year 

Depends on how much effort and consistency you put along with other things such as area, competition, your personality ect, I'm sure you can have a guess i.e 200 customers after first year so 18 extra as a rolling monthly build up each month at £12 each, 20% plus for add-ons including one offs, 

Get the final figure and half it for equipment, costs tax ect. (Depending on investment like a full van with everything to boot it maybe be a loss for the first year)

Not looking for exact figures just what your business turned over in the first year 
Again, with respect, that would have no significance to yourself or the area you are within as local trends, economy and property would play a big part in the overall figures.

Big difference between sole trader and public Ltd companies. 

That's just my opinion 

£90k

Is that what you wanted to hear? 
We're doing well. Me too 

Seriously, made a loss first year, 2017/18.  All ok now, but thought for a while i'd totally wasted my time. just took me so long to build up custom. Only had about 20 or so customers from august 2017 to 5 april 2018 but now got about 130 and increasing. Its good, as i dont want to work full days/5 days a week, so now will be refining it to get it as less hassle as possible.

Seriously, made a loss first year, 2017/18.  All ok now, but thought for a while i'd totally wasted my time. just took me so long to build up custom. Only had about 20 or so customers from august 2017 to 5 april 2018 but now got about 130 and increasing. Its good, as i dont want to work full days/5 days a week, so now will be refining it to get it as less hassle as possible.
( A lot of those 130 are big £30/£50 + so not as low as it seems really)

Could be a spy for HMRC ?

Careful lads.

Er, I made £230 in the first year ?
Roger that.

Everyone has submitted their tax returns and this question comes out.

I know a chap that was a landscape gardener who was caught out by a savvy HMRC screw who found him via a groundsman forum he was on.

He also had his business name as his forum nickname 

Trust no one and never publish your accounts 

In the first year i made alot of mistakes, learned from them all, i also made a few good decisions, i made alot of windows cleaner than they were before. I also made some very good contacts on this forum.

Money wise i the only person i disclose info to is the tax man, i dont even tell the wife ???

Back