Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Caustic or non caustic?


ShropsWindowCleaner

Recommended Posts

I did a gutter and fascia job yesterday. Never had an issue with one in nearly 18 years. Always used Citrosol to good effect. However, this house was on a busy road. As you can see from the picture, the underside of the gutter had black marks which WOULD NOT BUDGE! I used Citrosol, Cif, and even non caustic TFR. Nothing worked. Do i need to use a caustic TFR? What is the difference? 

Thanks in advance.

43A37201-BB71-4956-8BBC-E0302311BDBB.jpeg

Link to comment

That looks like aluminum guttering, could it be that the white surface coating is breaking down? If so nothing will fix that.

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment

Don’t think a caustic cleaner will make any difference , I would try some hypo to see if that would bleach it ??? Is it lime scale by any chance , some things just cannot be removed .  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Pjj said:

Don’t think a caustic cleaner will make any difference , I would try some hypo to see if that would bleach it ??? Is it lime scale by any chance , some things just cannot be removed .  

I’ve seen hypo mentioned a few times now. What is it? Thanks for the replies all! Very helpful ????

Link to comment
4 hours ago, ShropsWindowCleaner said:

I’ve seen hypo mentioned a few times now. What is it? Thanks for the replies all! Very helpful ????

It’s sodium hypochlorite or bleach , but don’t use it unless you know what you are doing as you can cause damage to yourself, others ,and the building and environment 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Pjj said:

It’s sodium hypochlorite or bleach , but don’t use it unless you know what you are doing as you can cause damage to yourself, others ,and the building and environment 

Thanks mate. Il stick with Citrosol and TFR for now ?

Link to comment

Iam  hy jacking this post as i have a related question please. Custy has long boarded facia from apex to above 1st floor windows(sorry cant supply photo at present)The boards are vertical I clean it  with  Ubick,fine but at the bottom its a bit greyish where the ubick hasnt managed to shift the staining .Pitty really as the rest o it is white would it be a good idea to use some house hold bleach neat by hand as Hypo is normally far stronger of which i dont have any way.Thanks

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Diamond geezer said:

Iam  hy jacking this post as i have a related question please. Custy has long boarded facia from apex to above 1st floor windows(sorry cant supply photo at present)The boards are vertical I clean it  with  Ubick,fine but at the bottom its a bit greyish where the ubick hasnt managed to shift the staining .Pitty really as the rest o it is white would it be a good idea to use some house hold bleach neat by hand as Hypo is normally far stronger of which i dont have any way.Thanks

Try the flash with bleach spray that you buy at Tesco for £1 a bottle it’s kitchen cleaner this will usually remove any staining without causing damage , if using industrial sodium hypochlorite then dilute it 6 or 7 to 1 .

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Try the flash with bleach spray that you buy at Tesco for £1 a bottle it’s kitchen cleaner this will usually remove any staining without causing damage , if using industrial sodium hypochlorite then dilute it 6 or 7 to 1 .

Thanks PJ.Who famously uses a converted P/F trolly as a preferance toa tank system please  on this site  is it you? Thanks

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Diamond geezer said:

Thanks PJ.Who famously uses a converted P/F trolly as a preferance toa tank system please  on this site  is it you? Thanks

Yes I have built a couple of softwashing  machines I quite enjoy doing it , sometimes depending on the size of the job a  trolly  with a few barrels of mix is easier and quicker , rather than dragging hoses around houses .

Link to comment

Did you put a back pack  pump instead of the shure flow?I have a standard P/F trolly not the nano could you advise me please  on how much pole hose i can run,instead of the mimi bore thats on there.I have a sure flow and standard batt.Yours must be a lot lighter?Also please the last pole hose i bought was exceed P U ,along with a hoseless set up.it was great at first very manageable,but the last couple of months ,its been a bit of a ******* coiling and tangleing,due to age i suppose.Would i be better of reverting to Gardiners all season for my trolly upgrade ,for this very reason.Thank you

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept