Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning velux and glass roofs

Bebobom

Been going for seven months now. Just wanted people's experiences with velux and glass roofs. Please don't shoot me down but I find them incredibly frustrating to clean. Feels like no matter how much you clean and rinse the frames, **** still comes onto the windows after walking away, is it a case of its get better in time after a few cleans. 

I prefer to clean them from inside and flip them but if the customer is not in I always walk away disheartened.

Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
Been going for seven months now. Just wanted people's experiences with velux and glass roofs. Please don't shoot me down but I find them incredibly frustrating to clean. Feels like no matter how much you clean and rinse the frames, **** still comes onto the windows after walking away, is it a case of its get better in time after a few cleans. 

I prefer to clean them from inside and flip them but if the customer is not in I always walk away disheartened.

Thanks 
I hate them too. I only trad style clean them myself from inside using my Vikan easy shine kit and spray bottle of pure water 

Never had an issue with veluxs very easy to clean glass roofs can a bit different, but the time needs putting in on the first clean to get them up to standard. 

Velux can be a bu**er if there is sun baked Seagull poo or pollen splodges. Sometimes they dribble from the top seal too.

The swivel is a great help for Veluxes.

The problems with this type of window are mainly three fold : the proximity to the roof means that they get a lot of dirt and moss splashed on them from the roof and they are prone to bird droppings which can get baked on by the sun.

The shallow angle means that water and dirt do not drain down as quickly and easily during rain or a wash as on normal vertical windows.

They are often fairly hard to reach from the ground.

I find the swivel very good. First, I build a good curtain of water at the top to wet the glass and frame. Then I agitate up and down working across and back a few times to loosen the dirt. Finally to rinse. Using the swivel I turn the brush on its side and starting at the top I swipe across and back on glass and side frames dropping the brush down a little lower (like a descending wiper blade) as I work to the bottom frame. Most are done successfully within about thirty seconds.

Glass roofs are a dread for most of us, I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep! That's about half a dozen too many for me. ?
There was 11 blocks of flats on the site, all 3 floors but these were the only ones we had to do at that height. All the others were reachable with the 35.

Staying a night in, or near, Swindon next month. Will give you a shout when I know when and where we're staying.

There was 11 blocks of flats on the site, all 3 floors but these were the only ones we had to do at that height. All the others were reachable with the 35.

Staying a night in, or near, Swindon next month. Will give you a shout when I know when and where we're staying.
Yeah mate! do that. Be good to meet up. ??

Interested in what kinda brush widths people are using on there longer poles - I have the smallest lightest brush head( gardiner supreme DuPont tapertec 23cm) but tbh I have been having trouble getting caked bird off the glass high up spots. Maybe I should rethink my technique bc I struggle to know if I’m good when out of sight high up and end up taking ages - turned out not to be clean anyway ??‍♂️ Any tips on this welcome (was thinking binoculars would be helpful maybe to check work close up  )

Interested in what kinda brush widths people are using on there longer poles - I have the smallest lightest brush head( gardiner supreme DuPont tapertec 23cm) but tbh I have been having trouble getting caked bird off the glass high up spots. Maybe I should rethink my technique bc I struggle to know if I’m good when out of sight high up and end up taking ages - turned out not to be clean anyway ??‍♂️ Any tips on this welcome (was thinking binoculars would be helpful maybe to check work close up  )
35cm Tapertec on all our poles, including a 60' modular pole. It was a Tapertec 35cm on the SLX47 doing those velux's

35cm Tapertec on all our poles, including a 60' modular pole. It was a Tapertec 35cm on the SLX47 doing those velux's
Must just need to scrub a bit harder haha ? I been cleaning this place it’s an new build designed to blend into the tree tops - gets peppered by the birds of course - I have access to the balcony on the top and the top floor so can examine my work in detail. Stuff like this makes me wanna have hot water so bad 

F5528B51-A3D6-419D-8102-7D48A9E7B4C1.jpeg

Back