Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Patio Cleaning help

Mark75

Hi Guys I am cleaning a Gruby Patio next week , Problem I have is they have expensive plants I normally use sodium Hypochlorite but I think if I use that here they just have dead plants as they are real close to the Patio . Any help what you Guys use that are safe for Plants and a Cat .

I’ve only ever done 1 soft wash so probably not the best person to comment. However on the 1 that I did, it was a rendered wall that had  nice flowers and bushes at the base of the house. I watered them all thoroughly before. I then put the hypo mix on the render, then watered them thoroughly again. I rinsed the hypo off and then give them all another thorough water, and the hypo mix didn’t appear to affect the plants at all. The theory is the water dilutes the sodium so much that it doesn’t harm them.

If you are worried about killing plants off couldn’t you just pressure wash the patio?

Hi Guys I am cleaning a Gruby Patio next week , Problem I have is they have expensive plants I normally use sodium Hypochlorite but I think if I use that here they just have dead plants as they are real close to the Patio . Any help what you Guys use that are safe for Plants and a Cat .
The obvious approach in my opinion would be to wet the plants down then cover them is vis screen. That's lightweight plastic sheeting. 

Take caution with your spraying pattern and take your time.

Or alternatively just pressure wash it 

I’ve only ever done 1 soft wash so probably not the best person to comment. However on the 1 that I did, it was a rendered wall that had  nice flowers and bushes at the base of the house. I watered them all thoroughly before. I then put the hypo mix on the render, then watered them thoroughly again. I rinsed the hypo off and then give them all another thorough water, and the hypo mix didn’t appear to affect the plants at all. The theory is the water dilutes the sodium so much that it doesn’t harm them.

If you are worried about killing plants off couldn’t you just pressure wash the patio?
I think that's what I do to be honest , just to be safe but I have heard that's what to do water them.before and after thanks for the reply 

The obvious approach in my opinion would be to wet the plants down then cover them is vis screen. That's lightweight plastic sheeting. 

Take caution with your spraying pattern and take your time.

Or alternatively just pressure wash it 
Yeah I think I just do that see what the result is without any cleaner applied thanks for  the reply 

I think that's what I do to be honest , just to be safe but I have heard that's what to do water them.before and after thanks for the reply 

Yeah I think I just do that see what the result is without any cleaner applied thanks for  the reply 
Your most welcome mate. Have a lovely weekend 

Hi all I hope everyone’s good! Another Hypo question for you all, I’ve somehow managed to avoid driveways with run offs into the street until now, I’ve got a few coming up that are bad with black spots so ideally I’d want to use hypo. Is this a no no with the excess going into the street even if I used warning signs? And would it possibly discolour pavements? Should I just offer a post treatment of bio instead?   

Hi all I hope everyone’s good! Another Hypo question for you all, I’ve somehow managed to avoid driveways with run offs into the street until now, I’ve got a few coming up that are bad with black spots so ideally I’d want to use hypo. Is this a no no with the excess going into the street even if I used warning signs? And would it possibly discolour pavements? Should I just offer a post treatment of bio instead?   
I am glad you asked that . The one I have asked about the gate drops on to public footpath never even thought about it , I am not going to use anything now so its Fine but will be interested in the answers . 

if you are cleaning a driveway or patio etc with large amounts of blackspots its easier if you can apply ddac a week or so before you start pressure washing, by this time the blackspot is dead and its grip on the surface is far less, (think of it like a crab gripping onto a surface,- it needs to be dead so its claws release their grip) its easier to remove them by just pressure washing some just hypo the living death out of the surface creating yet more issues.

if you are using hypo near plants consider a simple mop and bucket to apply hypo-simple but its precise and works, no watering plants and using covers same goes for driveways that go onto the street mop n bucket the edges near the path so its applied with no over spill onto the path same goes for near grassed areas too,.

please wear a good respirator when doing this as you are working so very close to the hypo bucket as it will over time cause some lung issues without a respirator being used.

hope this helps its just i've found this approach works for those jobs that can be a little bit tricky

if you are cleaning a driveway or patio etc with large amounts of blackspots its easier if you can apply ddac a week or so before you start pressure washing, by this time the blackspot is dead and its grip on the surface is far less, (think of it like a crab gripping onto a surface,- it needs to be dead so its claws release their grip) its easier to remove them by just pressure washing some just hypo the living death out of the surface creating yet more issues.

if you are using hypo near plants consider a simple mop and bucket to apply hypo-simple but its precise and works, no watering plants and using covers same goes for driveways that go onto the street mop n bucket the edges near the path so its applied with no over spill onto the path same goes for near grassed areas too,.

please wear a good respirator when doing this as you are working so very close to the hypo bucket as it will over time cause some lung issues without a respirator being used.

hope this helps its just i've found this approach works for those jobs that can be a little bit tricky
Will ddac cut through any surface dirt and get at black spots below? Naively when I first started I’d just throw hypo down not rinsing down before, it would eat away at surface dirt but nothing below so I’d be using twice the amount and taking twice as long. 

Cheers for the info, what about when rinsing down though and all the excess & water will be flowing into the street should that be ok if it’s sat for a while and being diluted further when rinsing? I always use a surfactant now so there’s still a fair bit of hypo on the surface even after dwell times.  

Back