Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

roof cleaning prices

deepclean

hello fellas   i have done 5 roofs now but there for family  as a test  i can do this but not how i have been doing it i have used a ladder and stay off and a matrix8    pete marshal scraper   and a slx converted for rinse   i did them for almost nothing just the materials hypo  etc  

i cant do this on ladders  so iam going to buy a diy scaffold tower from bps     solutions does anyone use this tower and thoughts  please 

image.png

what should i charge iam thinking of 12 a mtre and thats it final price  thats with biocide treatment aswell   iam in surrey  and south london 

hello fellas   i have done 5 roofs now but there for family  as a test  i can do this but not how i have been doing it i have used a ladder and stay off and a matrix8    pete marshal scraper   and a slx converted for rinse   i did them for almost nothing just the materials hypo  etc  

i cant do this on ladders  so iam going to buy a diy scaffold tower from bps     solutions does anyone use this tower and thoughts  please 

View attachment 24337

what should i charge iam thinking of 12 a mtre and thats it final price  thats with biocide treatment aswell   iam in surrey  and south london 
Can I just give you some valid advice. Don't waste your money on a diy non trade rated mechano sets of scaffold. It's ground footprint is to small it's elevation with regards to is span isn't sufficient to safely work off.

They are friction fit tubes that wobble like fat Amy and you don't have enough deck space to manoeuvre safely before you fall off it.

Sorry for the negative approach but it's my opinion and use of many towers that have shown me what's right and what's not worth using.

Better off using hire towers as they are safety approved strong and will work alongside your liability insurance as cheap towers are often null and void 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of the legislation but towers sold as 'diy' towers are not rated for professional use. i.e. they certainly are not rated for employee use!! If they are not good enough for a paid employee under H&S at work then they are not safe for you!!! 

While a trade rated tower will cost more it designed for the job of working from in a safe way - as long as you know how to erect it correctly. 

If starting out roof cleaning I would definitely hire a tower, probably £100 a week delivered to custy. The prices you are quoting a tower hire wont make much of a dent in your profits. A mi-tower is small and designed for a single person to erect safely but a new one will cost you about £2k.

Don't risk your life taking unnecessary risks!  

We hire scaffold towers from speedy hire they are much more robust than the one in the picture also we have the ones that are a wider platform it’s much easier to work from , they deliver to site and then collect once jobs done for one day costs around £70 week rates are cheaper . I decided the hire route was best for us as no paperwork, testing , record keeping needed but if you own it and employ it opens up a whole can of worms 

71ACDF30-5C1A-409E-B506-7D688C045D4A.jpeg

1FCF8EC2-68BF-46AF-97DD-32F5177FB31D.jpeg

Not sure of the legislation but towers sold as 'diy' towers are not rated for professional use. i.e. they certainly are not rated for employee use!! If they are not good enough for a paid employee under H&S at work then they are not safe for you!!! 

While a trade rated tower will cost more it designed for the job of working from in a safe way - as long as you know how to erect it correctly. 

If starting out roof cleaning I would definitely hire a tower, probably £100 a week delivered to custy. The prices you are quoting a tower hire wont make much of a dent in your profits. A mi-tower is small and designed for a single person to erect safely but a new one will cost you about £2k.

Don't risk your life taking unnecessary risks!  
From what I know and have read temporary tower scaffold must be tested & approved and have adequate bracing cross beams and safety marked with a recognised manufacturer, date of production and test number.

I am not confident that DIY grade steel fiction fit is classed as commercial use / construction recognised.

Scaffold Tower Regulations & Standards

You are responsible for ensuring that your scaffolding towers are certified according to European standards. They should be labelled with an EN followed by a number. As long as you obtain your scaffold tower from a reputable source,

View attachment 24337

Best speaking with Sid Partridge as he has done his homework and will most likely best advise you.

I personally have a 9m youngman tower in storage and it has to be checked and tagged every year at my own cost. 

image.png

i have had a look around and would this be better it conforms to  the standards i dont want to hire one 

would i be charching to much at 12 a mtre 

Yep hire one. I worked off a hired one from Hss hire for two days this week. Nice and wide and space to move around on and scrape. 

Regarding pricing whatever you want really. I know of some 2 guys together-roof cleaners who aim for £800 a day turnover, where I also I know of other one man bands who aim for £300 a day turnover. 
For i feel it has to pay more than what I can do on a normal window & gutters day.

I’m no roof cleaning expert, only done about 8 so far. Some have been good, some have been less than a day on the windows. My best roof clean price so far is a £575 bungalow job that took 7&half hrs on the Friday to scrape & 3 hours on the Saturday to tidy up & spray. I Used about £90 of bio.
But I would charge £600-£625 for the same job now.  I’ve got a £800 job coming up next month. I hope to do that in 2 days.
But The bigger the job the longer it’ll take than you think. 

View attachment 24340

i have had a look around and would this be better it conforms to  the standards i dont want to hire one 

would i be charching to much at 12 a mtre 
I personally feel the working platform isn’t wide enough , try hiring one first in different sizes to see how you get on with it , but we found by the time you have stuff on the platform  to move along it you have to climb over your kit not the safest of options , you will also need a decent size van to transport it they take up  a lot of room 

Yep hire one. I worked off a hired one from Hss hire for two days this week. Nice and wide and space to move around on and scrape. 

Regarding pricing whatever you want really. I know of some 2 guys together-roof cleaners who aim for £800 a day turnover, where I also I know of other one man bands who aim for £300 a day turnover. 
For i feel it has to pay more than what I can do on a normal window & gutters day.

I’m no roof cleaning expert, only done about 8 so far. Some have been good, some have been less than a day on the windows. My best roof clean price so far is a £575 bungalow job that took 7&half hrs on the Friday to scrape & 3 hours on the Saturday to tidy up & spray. I Used about £90 of bio.
But I would charge £600-£625 for the same job now.  I’ve got a £800 job coming up next month. I hope to do that in 2 days.
But The bigger the job the longer it’ll take than you think. 
Totally agree there is no point unless you earn at least double your normal window rate , it’s also surprising what it costs in bio .

I personally feel the working platform isn’t wide enough , try hiring one first in different sizes to see how you get on with it , but we found by the time you have stuff on the platform  to move along it you have to climb over your kit not the safest of options , you will also need a decent size van to transport it they take up  a lot of room 
thats not the height in the pic   the working height is 7.6   i plan to put it on the roof bars i can get it for £1250 delivered it is kite  marked i really dont want to hire one 

i agree with you pjj i want to earn  double what i earn on my window cleaning rota  i only plan to do 3 to 4 a month i dont want to be calling for a tower then customer receiving it or me waiting for it to arrive  

thats not the height in the pic   the working height is 7.6   i plan to put it on the roof bars i can get it for £1250 delivered it is kite  marked i really dont want to hire one 

i agree with you pjj i want to earn  double what i earn on my window cleaning rota  i only plan to do 3 to 4 a month i dont want to be calling for a tower then customer receiving it or me waiting for it to arrive  
So Ime guessing 3-4 a month you are looking at doing one per week ?? I don’t want to be rude or demeaning but have you ever used one or tried putting one on roof bars ?? They are bulky items ,I have used them for over 30 years and it’s hard work humping them around , we arrange fir them to be delivered at 8:30 in the morning and then collected at what ever time we finish the job never had a problem with late delivery , my main concern though would be the platform width I don’t feel it’s wide enough for one/two people and the kit you will have up there the squarer ones are also a lot more stable , each to there own of course but that’s what w3 have found over the years . 

So Ime guessing 3-4 a month you are looking at doing one per week ?? I don’t want to be rude or demeaning but have you ever used one or tried putting one on roof bars ?? They are bulky items ,I have used them for over 30 years and it’s hard work humping them around , we arrange fir them to be delivered at 8:30 in the morning and then collected at what ever time we finish the job never had a problem with late delivery , my main concern though would be the platform width I don’t feel it’s wide enough for one/two people and the kit you will have up there the squarer ones are also a lot more stable , each to there own of course but that’s what w3 have found over the years . 
thanks pjj i have read your post  on the hire and there is one office  only up the road which i didnt know was there  so i will go there have a look 

thank you for you for help 

As a side point you can also claim all hire costs as expenses against tax, but if you purchase it once you have used up all your allowance you cannot then claim anything for it , so sometimes that’s also worth looking at . 

I agree with you. The small platform area does not distribute weight as the footprint is too small.

Once you have your pole and maybe a bucket or other tools is a trip hazard 

ok thank you very much guys   iam going to go forward on the project 

?
The way I look at any tower scaffold is the following

When climbing it wether it be an internal fixed ladder or additional ladder lashed to it's side will that impact loading cause the tower to move significantly 

Also free climbing a skinny tower as shown regardless of it's out rigger legs will move alot and the ground it sits on should really only be hard surface. I wouldn't trust it on grass or an uneven surfaces.

I spent 5 years working in stage & lighting rigging and used alot of access systems, I wouldn't want to use any of the towers shown especially when roof scraping as it is an of centre point job.

Please don't think we are trying to rain on your parade or discourage you from your goals

We are simply trying via the means of tried and tested experiences to keep you alive, keep others alive and save you from buying inferior scrap metal 

The way I look at any tower scaffold is the following

When climbing it wether it be an internal fixed ladder or additional ladder lashed to it's side will that impact loading cause the tower to move significantly 

Also free climbing a skinny tower as shown regardless of it's out rigger legs will move alot and the ground it sits on should really only be hard surface. I wouldn't trust it on grass or an uneven surfaces.

I spent 5 years working in stage & lighting rigging and used alot of access systems, I wouldn't want to use any of the towers shown especially when roof scraping as it is an of centre point job.

Please don't think we are trying to rain on your parade or discourage you from your goals

We are simply trying via the means of tried and tested experiences to keep you alive, keep others alive and save you from buying inferior scrap metal 
no problem  thank very much 

When you look around there are some better systems

This one for example is something I'd personally feel happy using

The price really isn't that much when you factor in a return from the jobs and providing you security marked it you could hire it out providing it was kept clean and free from damage etc

https://www.scaffold-tower.co.uk/scaffold-towers/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzaqejM2Z8AIV6oBQBh3qKQJ4EAAYASAAEgKPL_D_BwE

View attachment 24342

View attachment 24343
thats great thanks if i dont go down the hire route i will buy that one  nice one  you get certificate with it also 

Back