Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Your Wash Liquid?

The weather is blazing hot sunshine in Dublin.  We are finding it really hard to clean inside big windows and skylights.  The solution is drying quickly and is leaving a residue.  We use Fairy Liquid in Pure Water.  We think the solution is too strong.  We are diluting it more and more to try and solve this issue.

You guys in in South UK will have this worked out.  Could you share your wash solution mix and rate in on a scale of 1-10 (10=perfection cleaned glass in hot weather).  

Thank you.  Please just post the solution mix and stick to topic as we want to solve this asap.  Thank you.

Paul 

www.BaseWindowCleaners.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather is blazing hot sunshine in Dublin.  We are finding it really hard to clean inside big windows and skylights.  The solution is drying quickly and is leaving a residue.  We use Fairy Liquid in Pure Water.  We think the solution is too strong.  We are diluting it more and more to try and solve this issue.

You guys in in South UK will have this worked out.  Could you share your wash solution mix and rate in on a scale of 1-10 (10=perfection cleaned glass in hot weather).  

Thank you.  Please just post the solution mix and stick to topic as we want to solve this asap.  Thank you.

Paul 

www.BaseWindowCleaners.com
Get yourself some GG3 Class Gleam but only if you're in a soft water area or Unger's new power liquid.

Just remember. Inside on glass magnifies sunlight aka heat so make sure you don't go to hard on the soap. A cap full of GG3 to approx 6-8 litres in a standard unger bucket

20210425_215425.jpg

Unfortunately working in direct sunlight and in the blazing sun using traditional solutions can be a bit of a nightmare as heat is magnified, we've all been there. On the one hand you need a solution that will be strong enough to cut through grease, fly saliva and all that good stuff & on the other hand you need this to stay wet for as long as possible. It's something that has been talked about multiple times on here and I would imagine, every window cleaning forum around.

Fairy is great to cut through grease but it does dry quickly in heat, Ecover is a bit better for drying times but imo doesn't cut through dirt as good as Fairy. Moerman soap smells amazing but dries as quickly as fairy but and costs about 4 or times the price.

Haven't tried glass gleam or Ungers new Power Liquid as both too pricey to use regularly, much the same as the Moerman. For trad cleaning Fairy does the job 90% of the time and usually not over loading on solution when doing skylights does the job. SteveO on youtube is the man for solution review, he's tried about every one on the market. He seems to think using Dawn (Fairy) with a bit of GG4 is the most effective he has used.

I bought some Ecover the other day to try. It is very good. More concentrated and didn't leave marks on the glass. I usually use Sainsburys sensitive washing up liquid. I think it is good to use cleaning solutions with no colour in them, and just basic ingredients.

Unfortunately working in direct sunlight and in the blazing sun using traditional solutions can be a bit of a nightmare as heat is magnified, we've all been there. On the one hand you need a solution that will be strong enough to cut through grease, fly saliva and all that good stuff & on the other hand you need this to stay wet for as long as possible. It's something that has been talked about multiple times on here and I would imagine, every window cleaning forum around.

Fairy is great to cut through grease but it does dry quickly in heat, Ecover is a bit better for drying times but imo doesn't cut through dirt as good as Fairy. Moerman soap smells amazing but dries as quickly as fairy but and costs about 4 or times the price.

Haven't tried glass gleam or Ungers new Power Liquid as both too pricey to use regularly, much the same as the Moerman. For trad cleaning Fairy does the job 90% of the time and usually not over loading on solution when doing skylights does the job. SteveO on youtube is the man for solution review, he's tried about every one on the market. He seems to think using Dawn (Fairy) with a bit of GG4 is the most effective he has used.
Yes we like the Fairy Liquid.  Most of the time it is fine as you say.  Will try the GG3, GG4 and Unger.

Thank you all for your comments.     

It's those skylights in the kitchen that are the hard one because they sometimes have cooking fumes on them.  Little oily.

Thanks
would be tempted if really greasy to just spray a mix of proper degreaser (ubik, virosol or tfr type thing) + water on to them with a garden spray applicator, scrub with a wfp brush then squeegee that off with a spare squeegee roughly to remove the greasy water. After that the clean should be easy suing whatever your normal window mix with you proper squeegee, slightly time consuming i know but if they are that greasy i'd charge a little more and point out the mint finish

14” combinator I used to used on inside glass when big panes I used to do an house that all the back was glass whether you like them or not this for me was the easiest way I found in hot weather.

Back