Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

What's the worst piece of window cleaning related equipment or tool you have purchased


Recommended Posts

I thought I'd start another interactive post which relates to the worst piece of equipment or tool that you have purchased for window cleaning.

 

Let me kick this off with mine 

 

FaceLift rinse bar 

I purchased this rinse bar last year as I saw it being advertised and it didn't break the bank so I thought I'd try it out for a week. 

Installed it pushed plenty of water through it and instantly classed it as useless

The rinse was horrific compared to my 2mm standard brass pencil jets and it now lives in my spares box of things I don't use 

Interesting fact: 

It didn’t even fit correctly onto My FaceLift Phantom brush head and I had to dremel out the fixing tab holes so that if fitted snugly onto the brush 

 

NOTE : Please be careful not to offend suppliers if it's not their own stock item. Burning bridges aren't easy to cross 

20210427_120756.jpg

20210427_120805.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Reel of cheap flimsy garden hose that I bought to use off customers outside taps for when fascia and gutter cleaning. Used once then just spent a bit extra for a good reel hose that I still use. The old "get what you pay for" was true in that particular instance. Other than that been particularly lucky equipment wise.

Link to comment

Mine would be unger rubout for the cost of £15 whilst the pink stuff for £1 works just the same.

Shame I got two of them.

Link to comment

Does this list include when you've bought wrong size filters and other fittings. Not that I have of course ?

Link to comment

Off the top of my head I'd say probably heavy fibreglass poles and heavy Vikan brushes more suited to washing lorries. Poles were sold as 18ft but were actually much shorter if I recall correctly. The 18 ft was the working reach from chest height. Poles bent like f... and lasted only a few months even though I was only doing a fraction of the work I'm currently doing with Gardiner 22ft poles now that I'm well established.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Davy G said:

Off the top of my head I'd say probably heavy fibreglass poles and heavy Vikan brushes

But they were the only option at one stage

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

But they were the only option at one stage

No doubt. But I'm fairly sure Gardiner were producing when I started about six and a half years ago. I didn't know about them so I asked advice from the company I was buying the processing equipment from, for me to buy good, sound equipment that I wouldn't need to replace in a hurry. I always try to buy quality though I'm not interested in chasing fashionable labels for the sake of it. They didn't mention Gardiner poles and brushes. Obviously they are direct competitors so it wouldn't have been easy for them to. I went through at least four or five poles before I found out and switched to Gardiner's and I'm not severe on equipment. ?

 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Pjj said:

A well know brand of electric reels ??? 

You never mentioned that before.?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Pjj said:

A well know brand of electric reels ??? 

Which one ?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Does this list include when you've bought wrong size filters and other fittings. Not that I have of course ?

Bain of my life ?

Edited by Clearview Lee
Link to comment

Pulex rubbers after only ever used Ettore my whole life. Awful. 
 

oh...Unger microfibre cloths ?

Link to comment

There have been a few over the years, those cheap 12ft fibreglass poles that were a thing 20 years ago, lasted 6 months if you were lucky. The Ionics domestic brushes with 3mm jets, they were not very good.  The Vikan brick was not as good as the forums said they were. The Grafter that I aquired well used was a ?.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, mike007 said:

Reel of cheap flimsy garden hose that I bought to use off customers outside taps for when fascia and gutter cleaning. Used once then just spent a bit extra for a good reel hose that I still use. The old "get what you pay for" was true in that particular instance. Other than that been particularly lucky equipment wise.

There is some naff hose out there. Normally sold in heat sealed packets with complimentary fittings and a nozzle. The hose goes rock hard or delaminates quickly and kinks more than Lola 

4 hours ago, TopNotch said:

Mine would be unger rubout for the cost of £15 whilst the pink stuff for £1 works just the same.

Shame I got two of them.

Never used rubout but I can imagine the fancy branding and cost for something so rubbish 

3 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Does this list include when you've bought wrong size filters and other fittings. Not that I have of course ?

Yes ?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Daniel Perkins said:

Unger Stingray, absolute rubbish. Should be renamed "The Dirt Pusher Arounder"

Heard so many negative comments about them. They are brilliant for cleaning clean glass haha 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

facelift phoenix 22 

Lasted 8 months section 2 would not slide proply very stiff no adjustment in clamps 

xline pro 20 

was only 18ft extended heavy and wore out very fast 

Gardner new jets 

Keep poping out and need glueing not very robust 

Pulex rubbers and razer rubbers 

poor quality leve lines 

waterworks electric reel 

not as good as first one button broke with in a month and handle broke with in 3 weeks had to order new button 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

Pulex rubbers after only ever used Ettore my whole life. Awful. 
 

oh...Unger microfibre cloths ?

Link to comment
38 minutes ago, tench0771 said:

facelift phoenix 22 

Lasted 8 months section 2 would not slide proply very stiff no adjustment in clamps 

xline pro 20 

was only 18ft extended heavy and wore out very fast 

Gardner new jets 

Keep poping out and need glueing not very robust 

Pulex rubbers and razer rubbers 

poor quality leve lines 

waterworks electric reel 

not as good as first one button broke with in a month and handle broke with in 3 weeks had to order new button 

 

 

 

 

 

I swear by Razor Red rubbers!! I’ve even converted another window cleaner. You must’ve just had a rough time with grit or bought an already roughed-up one. 
there is definitely a difference when first starting to use them in comparison to the faultless Ettore rubbers. The Razor takes a couple of days to wear in as they’re not as smooth-running, but after a couple of days graft I’d say they’re as good as...BUT....they last much longer than Ettore, and more importantly cheaper!! This is my experience anyhow, and I’m very fussy with my tools. 

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Clearview Lee said:

I swear by Razor Red rubbers!! I’ve even converted another window cleaner. You must’ve just had a rough time with grit or bought an already roughed-up one. 
there is definitely a difference when first starting to use them in comparison to the faultless Ettore rubbers. The Razor takes a couple of days to wear in as they’re not as smooth-running, but after a couple of days graft I’d say they’re as good as...BUT....they last much longer than Ettore, and more importantly cheaper!! This is my experience anyhow, and I’m very fussy with my tools. 

I brought 3 different batches over the course of a year as i gave them the benefit of the doubt i used to clean shop fronts so cant wate a couple of days for them to were in as lines everywhere dont do lot of trad now so rubbers last ages i just stick to ettore soft now 

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept