Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Battery advice please

Rickadoo

Apologies for this question but I have done a lot of searching on the forum (and YouTube) and I am wanting to know if I can wire my pump and hosereel up to the same leisure battery and then leave them connected when I charge the battery, or should I remove the connections.  I don’t use a split charge relay, I just use an extension lead from the garage thru the van doors with a battery charger overnight. I don’t want to risk damaging the hosereel if I do this. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Apologies for this question but I have done a lot of searching on the forum (and YouTube) and I am wanting to know if I can wire my pump and hosereel up to the same leisure battery and then leave them connected when I charge the battery, or should I remove the connections.  I don’t use a split charge relay, I just use an extension lead from the garage thru the van doors with a battery charger overnight. I don’t want to risk damaging the hosereel if I do this. Any help appreciated. Thanks
What battery do you have?

115ah marine & leisure

View attachment 24364
That battery is fine to connect both electric reel and pump to permanently. You also don't need to remove the terminals when charging. Some of us have fixed the charger connectors directly to the battery as well so we just plug the charger in. It's the only way I'm guaranteed not to get the polarity wrong.?

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to use the appropriate rated fuses per item and use inline maxi blade fuse holder.

Also I'd personally add an isolation switch after the fuse and before the equipment aswell.

I think you'd be better taking what you want installed to a mechanic or reputable auto electrician. It will save burning your van to the ground 

You'll need to use the appropriate rated fuses per item and use inline maxi blade fuse holder.

Also I'd personally add an isolation switch after the fuse and before the equipment aswell.

I think you'd be better taking what you want installed to a mechanic or reputable auto electrician. It will save burning your van to the ground 
Yeah they have the fuses with blade holders. Good plan about the switches. I think I’d be capable of installing it myself, if it’s doable

That battery is fine to connect both electric reel and pump to permanently. You also don't need to remove the terminals when charging. Some of us have fixed the charger connectors directly to the battery as well so we just plug the charger in. It's the only way I'm guaranteed not to get the polarity wrong.?
Thanks for that. Yeah I’ve done that before (got the polarity wrong) and blew my controller. ?

Yeah they have the fuses with blade holders. Good plan about the switches. I think I’d be capable of installing it myself, if it’s doable
Just ensure all connections are secure and can handle the appropriate current IE amperes.

Use crimp connectors but stay away from scotch clip inline splice connectors as they are dry joint hell. 

Polarity is key. Get your wiring back to front with a pre V16 controller and it's toast.

If you are unsure on anything vehicle related drop me a message and I'll talk you through it or refer to some of my YouTube videos as the are wfp specific AW Services 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ensure all connections are secure and can handle the appropriate current IE amperes.

Use crimp connectors but stay away from scotch clip inline splice connectors as they are dry joint hell. 

Polarity is key. Gey your wiring back to front with a pre V16 controller and it's toast.

If you are unsure on anything vehicle related drop me a message and I'll talk you through it or refer to some of my YouTube videos as the are wfp specific AW Services 
Cheers ?

I have done so for maybe 2 years now I have two different sized terminals on my battery the reel and controller are fixed to the smaller terminals and I connect the battery charger to the larger terminals after each work day. 

Back