Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter Vac Power Cable Replacement - How?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Robt100

I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help. Our cat very kindly last night decided to chew through the power cable on my gutter vac at multiple points, so I now need to replace the power cable. From what I can tell its 1.5mm squared, but 2 core rather than 3 core, so not 100% sure on the wiring side of things if you just have to omit the earth cable or if there is more too it. (done plenty on standard 3 core UK stuff, just never delt with 'earthless' wiring).

I also need to find out how to get to the other end in the vac motor, its the same design as the ones sold by GVS here https://guttervacuumsystems.co.uk/product/gvs-3000w-gutter-vacuum-system/

And to get in before the "buy a new one" and "get a pro to do it" comments, I don't have that financial leeway at the moment im afraid. £5 of cable is much more in budget..

I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help. Our cat very kindly last night decided to chew through the power cable on my gutter vac at multiple points, so I now need to replace the power cable. From what I can tell its 1.5mm squared, but 2 core rather than 3 core, so not 100% sure on the wiring side of things if you just have to omit the earth cable or if there is more too it. (done plenty on standard 3 core UK stuff, just never delt with 'earthless' wiring).

I also need to find out how to get to the other end in the vac motor, its the same design as the ones sold by GVS here https://guttervacuumsystems.co.uk/product/gvs-3000w-gutter-vacuum-system/

And to get in before the "buy a new one" and "get a pro to do it" comments, I don't have that financial leeway at the moment im afraid. £5 of cable is much more in budget..
Normally I'd leave a long step by step list of how to fix it but I'm not confident you can safely carry out a repair as your asking for help.

I'm not talking a stranger through electrical repairs on a forum.

Have you actually considered contacting the company where you brought it from for help and advice.

If you haven't the ability to repair an item or a pot of money put to one side for equipment care and repair you've only let yourself down.

If you look at the machine you'll easily see how to take it apart by the screw heads 

Use this as a scaled down model of a gutter vac.

If you have never attempted any form of repairs it's now time to shine

Get a camera or phone with camera and photo every step you take

Take your time 

Use the correct tools 

Work in a logical format so your first steps will be your last 

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you fix it ?

Back