Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hard to reach jobs

Bebobom

So after we've been going for 8 months now we're obviously coming across more and more awkward windows to clean. We are no longer desperate for work thankfully.

I was just wondering how often do you turn down a job because of the hassle of it or do you just give everything a go? 

So after we've been going for 8 months now we're obviously coming across more and more awkward windows to clean. We are no longer desperate for work thankfully.

I was just wondering how often do you turn down a job because of the hassle of it or do you just give everything a go? 
Quote accordingly, but we're fortunate that we are big lumps and have some very good gear so the awkward windows aren't so awkward to us.

In my case rarely but not unheard of to turn down a job. I do a proper mental rehearsal. If it's a reach/access issue if necessary I'll break out a pole and see if it's viable for reaching.

On a couple of occasions I've turned down work where reach is not viable or access is just too cluttered with obstacles and ornamental trinkets.

Do what's necessary to build a round that suits you. You are the most important person. You are the one doing the work. The customer comes a fairly close second, unless they are rude or disrespectful. A very low level is tolerated.  Remember, jobs you take on are likely to be with you for years. I got fussier as I gained experience, customer numbers and confidence.

It would depend what was needed or involved regarding the job we like to do jobs that others say cannot be done  just to prove a point ???,but the more difficult or involved the job is the higher the price ??

I either let them know I can't clean the window in question or refer to it as a 'best efforts' window (if I can just about get the brush to the glass but not actually see the window whilst I'm cleaning it for example). Usually they (and I) are happy with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I'm 2 years in and I'm now getting to the point where I might just turn down awkward jobs.  There's enough work to pick jobs that you're not overly stretched.  

My shoulders starting to hurt and the houses with the awkward windows are really making me question whether it's worth it.  It's not a question of whether it should be done, it can be done... etc, it's a question from a business point of view does it need to be done?

When you hit your mid 60's, if you're are crippled with joint pains, only then will you judge whether it was worth it.  For me I can see it's just not worth it, I'm not that desperate any more.  In fact I just turned down part of a job today, first time I've done it.  It was a fascia that goes along the side of house above a garage at the side, I just said that I can only do the edge parts and won't be able to do the apex part.  When I first started I'd do that sort of job off a ladder but now it just seems crazy to put my body through all that strain, just not worth it.

I'm not prepared to make my life difficult so if it's too much of a hassle, I'll tell them I can't do it. 

I don't have an issue with reaching windows and do occasionally use a ladder to get some height but there are certainly a fair few add on jobs I simply can't be bothered with. 

Awkward windows are just part and parcel of this job IMO....that's why its important to buy xtreme poles and brushes.....the run of the mill jobs just aren't very common where I work...lots of properties have extensions,conservatories,3 storey windows,skylights or are just large Victorian buildings....

I don't mind the odd awkward window, the things I don't like are access through the house and gateays with intercom access.

No parking is a big no no, I haven't got time to fart around trying to park the van for a few quid.

And I'm now rejecting those jobs where the rear access is down a side street, and up an alley way. Pain in the bum. 

I don't actually turn them down because of an awkward window, I just explain I'll not be able to clean that particular one, they usually don't mind if it's only one or two windows

I don't actually turn them down because of an awkward window, I just explain I'll not be able to clean that particular one, they usually don't mind if it's only one or two windows
It's very rare I cant clean an awkward window....99% of windows can be cleaned with wfp....that's one of the main benefits for the customer!

I don't have many issues with awkward windows as such but I do find some fascia and soffit cleans to be alot more awkward. So many people have massive extensions or conservatories when get the leverage can be near impossible and trying to get a good finish in soffits and barge board wrecks your shoulders. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very rare I cant clean an awkward window....99% of windows can be cleaned with wfp....that's one of the main benefits for the customer!
yeah you can get to far more windows with a pole, having said that there's quite a few windows I used to do trad that I can't get to any more since I stopped using ladders - I've ordered some roof bars so I can take the ladder out again.

Was doing one of my most awkward veluxs on apex of house, have to stand on my hopup step with 35ft 3k pole at a stupid sideways angle, not fun n no doubt doesn't do a great job of scrubbing.

Back