Gardiner Backpack Issues

53 minutes ago, Josh Lucas said:

@Marko067

Ok that makes sense. "Short out" means disconnect? I'll test the pump again without the pressure switch when I get in. 

I will study your microswitch images in more detail also, thank you for sharing them.

@Apw1210@Iron Giant

I do apologise for my novice questions. I do have a lack of knowledge in this area. 

The reason is I am 90-95% trad. I only use wfp for conservatory roofs, leaded windows and anything I can't get a ladder safely to. So I'm having to stomach the time spent fixing these issues when I could be running up my ladders earning coin! You can only learn by doing though, I do feel like I can assemble this backpack in my sleep now! 

I do really appreciate the help and comments of all in assisting with the diagnosis. 

If anyone has any other suggestions of what pump would fit the Gardiner Backpack then please do leave a link. 

Thank you

All you need to do is looks at the Gardiner website listed pump and play snap with Amazon 

You know your battery is 12v so therefore you need a 12v pump

Looking at the Gardiner pump you'll notice it's a small bore push on hose style 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ETXP-Diaphragm-Pressure-Automatic-Watering/dp/B091C2BNPB/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=12v+100psi+water+pump&qid=1620047431&sr=8-18

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh Lucas

• Apw1210

• ched999uk

• Alex Gardiner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Josh In that your fuse is blowing it is unlikely to be the battery at fault - if the battery was dead there would be no power to blow a fuse. Therefore if there are no shorted wires, whic

I know what you are thinking and here's a solution ill do asap.  When available I'll buy my first ever backpack, rip it down on video and rebuild one using my methods and skills in a simple step

We have used Gardiners back packs for years not for window cleaning but for chemical application mainly hypo mixes and have never had pump issues they always last around 3 years then start getting wir

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Josh Lucas said:

I do apologise for my novice questions. I do have a lack of knowledge in this area. 

No need to apologise at all we were all novices once and with somethings I still am.

3 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

All you need to do is looks at the Gardiner website listed pump and play snap with Amazon 

You know your battery is 12v so therefore you need a 12v pump

Looking at the Gardiner pump you'll notice it's a small bore push on hose style 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ETXP-Diaphragm-Pressure-Automatic-Watering/dp/B091C2BNPB/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=12v+100psi+water+pump&qid=1620047431&sr=8-18

Just out of interest why wouldn't you just buy the one from Gardiner🧐

1 hour ago, JEM said:

Just out of interest why wouldn't you just buy the one from Gardiner🧐

I was mainly wondering if there's one I could buy that would provide a longer lifespan. The one I found provided a years warranty, but understand that was too much psi and as Alex mentioned warranty might not be covered.

Gardiners one only lasted 9 months of being used for about 2hrs a week. So if they all are the same quality I'll just buy a couple of the cheapest ones. 

No offense to Gardiner. The pole and brushes I have from there are all ace.

29 minutes ago, Josh Lucas said:

I was mainly wondering if there's one I could buy that would provide a longer lifespan. The one I found provided a years warranty, but understand that was too much psi and as Alex mentioned warranty might not be covered.

Gardiners one only lasted 9 months of being used for about 2hrs a week. So if they all are the same quality I'll just buy a couple of the cheapest ones. 

We have used Gardiners back packs for years not for window cleaning but for chemical application mainly hypo mixes and have never had pump issues they always last around 3 years then start getting wiring or switch issues pumps have been fine , I think you have just been unlucky .

1 hour ago, JEM said:

99.9 of the stuff from Ebay and Amazon is junk from China with different stickers 😁

I agree however my wording and content was a boat 

1 hour ago, JEM said:

99.9 of the stuff from Ebay and Amazon is junk from China with different stickers 😁

I agree however my wording and context was a boat 

Edited by Apw1210
51 minutes ago, Josh Lucas said:

These are bomb proof, I can make one in a weekend 

20210503_200634.jpg

22 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

These are bomb proof, I can make one in a weekend 

20210503_200634.jpg

They look amazing. 

I saw your thread on that trolley build. Maybe it's something I'll progress towards slowly! I've bookmarked it for when I'm feeling brave. 

12 hours ago, Den said:

I have two both 5 years old, one still going strong they other only a few weeks ago developed a pump problem excellent for the money, the new pump now purrs for £9 Lol

As some know i started in November last year and only use a backpack for my water delivery, Touch wood it's been faultless so far, admittedly I'm not doing 10 houses a day at the moment. I don't know if fitting the remote control to turn the pump off has helped take some of the load of the pump🤔

Den is that the pump you posted that is from Ebay? I'll bookmark it just in case

Hi JEM. If you’re not using a tap/valve and only using a remote to switch your backpack on and off then the pressure switch won’t be operating so you will be much less likely to have any problems with it. They usually fail because of the excessive switching we put them through when we repeatedly physically turn the flow on and off with a tap of some sort.

Edited by Marko067
1 hour ago, Marko067 said:

Hi JEM. If you’re not using a tap/valve and only using a remote to switch your backpack on and off then the pressure switch won’t be operating so you will be much less likely to have any problems with it. They usually fail because of the excessive switching we put them through when we repeatedly physically turn the flow on and off with a tap of some sort.