Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working so hard to try and reach 500 customers

Are you working on your own? I have roughly 300 regular customers and I am "run off my feet". You may be aiming too high.

Fewer better priced jobs are better than a large number of lower priced jobs.

Good luck in getting new customers - in my experience this is the best time of year.

Sounds a bit high for me too. I'm going for low volume, high price. I've dropped down 120 customers at the moment after getting rid of the **** jobs. I think I only need to double this to reach my personal target of income.

Could go higher but I'm a part timer. 

Very true but I’m just going off the average prices off my work and my person income I am looking for I could quite easy do 25-30 3bed semis a day by Myself I used to be a ground worker so I’m not work shy. 

Iv got a van with a 500 ltr tank in and that will get me through a good days work 

Are you working on your own? I have roughly 300 regular customers and I am "run off my feet". You may be aiming too high.

Fewer better priced jobs are better than a large number of lower priced jobs.

Good luck in getting new customers - in my experience this is the best time of year.
Just working on my own mate. And I aiming for higher prices two 

Well done with what you have accomplished, but it’s not about the number of customers it’s about how much each job pays less jobs with higher prices is better than more customers with lower prices . 
Thanks. But yes, that's what I'm saying. I want fewer customers for more bucks.  

I've taken on board your previous comments and am now being bolder with pricing for the bigger jobs.  I got a job for £35 when she was previously paying £30.  I also quoted £50 on another but didn't get it ?

Thanks. But yes, that's what I'm saying. I want fewer customers for more bucks.  

I've taken on board your previous comments and am now being bolder with pricing for the bigger jobs.  I got a job for £35 when she was previously paying £30.  I also quoted £50 on another but didn't get it ?
When I started there were no forums for help and advice , I had no idear what I should be charging it was trial and error and 22 years later Ime still learning and still make occasional boobs , you will never get every job you price evan if you are the cheapest cleaner about some will still think it’s to much , your confidence  grow the more experienced you get , we have picked up 3 softwashing jobs this week from recommendation from existing customers all 3 when I first gave them the price went white with shock , I explained , what we would do how we would do it showed them a portfolio of similar jobs and explained they arnt just paying for our time , but our experience in knowing what is needed to clean deferent sub straights etc , they all went from that’s very expensive and we don’t want to pay that to how soon can you fit us in ,both us and the customer need to look beyond £££ per hour , 

I like your charging dearer than the previous cleaner that’s exactly what we do if they say I was paying £20 before I would say hummm that’s why he stoped comming  or was unreliable, the price we would charge would be £25, 30 or what ever , they were happy to pay the £20 but unhappy with the service they were getting so charge them more and be reliable it’s a win for them and you ?

When I started there were no forums for help and advice , I had no idear what I should be charging it was trial and error and 22 years later Ime still learning and still make occasional boobs , you will never get every job you price evan if you are the cheapest cleaner about some will still think it’s to much , your confidence  grow the more experienced you get , we have picked up 3 softwashing jobs this week from recommendation from existing customers all 3 when I first gave them the price went white with shock , I explained , what we would do how we would do it showed them a portfolio of similar jobs and explained they arnt just paying for our time , but our experience in knowing what is needed to clean deferent sub straights etc , they all went from that’s very expensive and we don’t want to pay that to how soon can you fit us in ,both us and the customer need to look beyond £££ per hour , 

I like your charging dearer than the previous cleaner that’s exactly what we do if they say I was paying £20 before I would say hummm that’s why he stoped comming  or was unreliable, the price we would charge would be £25, 30 or what ever , they were happy to pay the £20 but unhappy with the service they were getting so charge them more and be reliable it’s a win for them and you ?
You never know, you might be calling on me for advice one day...?

That's 16 minutes for each house over an 8 hour day with no break, day in day out in all weathers.  

It's your choice but you don't have to work that hard in this game, your making life hard for yourself.
There's not even that amount of day light in the winter months.

Very true but I’m just going off the average prices off my work and my person income I am looking for I could quite easy do 25-30 3bed semis a day by Myself I used to be a ground worker so I’m not work shy. 

Iv got a van with a 500 ltr tank in and that will get me through a good days work 
I be amazed if you hit those targets everyday, unless all your work is really compact  I am just up the road from you not to far from Durham I have 427 jobs mostly 4 weekly some 6's and 8's and good variation of jobs from fronts to houses that take 1hr +  and at times I struggle to manage each week and month the weather and other factors will hinder you at times,

so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to have 500 jobs price higher and aim for 400 or so to make around the same money as 500 jobs that's your better option and will be far more manageable.  

If that number is based on 6 weekly cleans then fine. If it's based on 4 weekly cleans then can you tell me when do you intend to have a holiday, get your van serviced, Doctors / Dentist appointments etc etc.

May for example is 31 days but there are only 19 working days so you will need to clean 26 houses a day, fill your van, do your paperwork and then, the most important thing, have time for a life.

Good luck with your business and it appears you know that hard work is what is required to succeed but quality and reliability are also required and, in my opinion, rushing round like a blue @rsed fly won't allow you to achieve those 2 very important parts of your business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing 20 odd houses ever day, on your own will send you to the loony bin.

Trust me I know, I did it for a while and yes its good money, but most of it went to the taxman and I realised i was breaking my back for nothing.

Not to mention your mental health. 

Work smart. Not hard. You won't last otherwise and you will resent the job. 

I have only just started getting my enjoyment back in this game, it's all down to having the RIGHT customers at the RIGHT price. 

Spoken with 20 years experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing 20 odd houses ever day, on your own will send you to the loony bin.

Trust me I know, I did it for a while and yes its good money, but most of it went to the taxman and I realised i was breaking my back for nothing.

Not to mention your mental health. 

Work smart. Not hard. You won't last otherwise and you will resent the job. 

I have only just started getting my enjoyment back in this game, it's all down to having the RIGHT customers at the RIGHT price. 
Totally agree, I am struggling with my mental health at the moment after the winter of discontent, been snowed under with work and personal stuff, plus trying to renovate our new home no job is cheap so got that pressure of keeping the money coming in along with trying to get people to even quote jobs, because almost everyone's customer service is ? they come out look at the job then don't bother quoting ?

Totally agree, I am struggling with my mental health at the moment after the winter of discontent, been snowed under with work and personal stuff, plus trying to renovate our new home no job is cheap so got that pressure of keeping the money coming in along with trying to get people to even quote jobs, because almost everyone's customer service is ? they come out look at the job then don't bother quoting ?
Aww mate I'm so sorry. 

?

Aww mate I'm so sorry. 

?
? Thank you, it will get better it's just a bump in the road, just spent the last 4 months or so stressed and not sleeping at times trying to get the house in some order, so we can just enjoy our new home more and get the real benefit of why we moved and bought this house, it's just half a house a horrors now as ain't at risk of walls coming down anymore ? and the rest of the structural work is getting done in a couple of weeks. 

If that number is based on 6 weekly cleans then fine. If it's based on 4 weekly cleans then can you tell me when do you intend to have a holiday, get your van serviced, Doctors / Dentist appointments etc etc.

May for example is 31 days but there are only 19 working days so you will need to clean 26 houses a day, fill your van, do your paperwork and then, the most important thing, have time for a life.

Good luck with your business and it appears you know that hard work is what is required to succeed but quality and reliability are also required and, in my opinion, rushing round like a blue @rsed fly won't allow to achievey those 2 very important parts of your business.
Spoke to lots off other cleaners in my area and they do that ? And I done 23 the other day and I was finished early could of easy done a few more it’s not exactly the hardest of jobs 

Spoke to lots off other cleaners in my area and they do that ? And I done 23 the other day and I was finished early could of easy done a few more it’s not exactly the hardest of jobs 
You were on the other day posting about losing a customer on a quality issue, and it's easy doing 23 customers a day once in a blue moon. Doing it day in day out is a different world altogether.

I could post jobs that we do in a day that would make your hair curl but we can't do them all month and deliberately schedule an "easy" week the following one.

There are very experienced people giving you advice, from personal experience not by speaking to other windies. It is up to you if you want to take it or not but I don't see the point on posting on here if you're not going to.

I be amazed if you hit those targets everyday, unless all your work is really compact  I am just up the road from you not to far from Durham I have 427 jobs mostly 4 weekly some 6's and 8's and good variation of jobs from fronts to houses that take 1hr +  and at times I struggle to manage each week and month the weather and other factors will hinder you at times,

so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself to have 500 jobs price higher and aim for 400 or so to make around the same money as 500 jobs that's your better option and will be far more manageable.  
Thanks for that I think I will do that price higher and build around 400 every 4 weeks 

Work smart. Not hard. 
Exactly, that's what it's all about to have a nice working life.  I'm still growing mine but as time goes on I'm getting closer to what I want.  For me it's 4 to 5 hours per day at £200.  It's surprising that as soon as you set the target and really focus on hitting the target you actually make real progress to getting it.  

A lot of the obstacles that stop us what we can achieve are in our own minds.

For me it's about working to have a life and this business gives me that opportunity so I fully intend to make the most of it while I can.    

Latest Posts

Back