Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ova 8 hi-mod 22ft vs Gardiner Xtreme 22ft

YNWA1988

Anyone ever used either or both of these poles? How do they compare? I've narrowed it down to these 2 poles that I am very seriously considering buying. 

I've recently had hand and forearm pain. I currently use slx 22 but thinking of going for somthing lighter. 

Pros/cons for Xtreme, (from what I've read) good reputation, rigid, compatible with all my other gardiner stuff (always went with Gardiner gear like brushes etc) 

Pros/cons for Ova 8. No spin, slightly cleaper but slightly heavier by 60g

Really not sure which one to go for. 

I'm wondering if the ova 8 pole shape will help with my hand pain.... although I do wonder if the pains are from using a swivel for the past 4 years? What are your thoughts on that also please... does the swivel cause hand/wrist/forearm pain? 

Thank you

I use an extream 22 as my everyday pole , I have never owned a ova8 pole but have used one briefly I would not buy the ova 8 it’s heavy compared to the extream 60 grams isn’t much but when using it at shallow angles that weight is multiplied and you do feel it , the extream is also stiffer , usually the brushes used in the ova8 poles is considerably heavier than Gardiners brushes again this makes it feel unbalanced and top heavy , the extream poles are more delicate than the heavier poles as they are thinner sections , but it’s horses for courses if you want a light pole that’s a joy to use get an extream , if you want to treat a pole roughly then you are better off with an slx , don’t know what the ova poles last like but I prefer the extream , if any suppliers out there fancy giving us an ova 8 to try for a few months and are happy for us to post a full unbiased review on all aspects of its use we are more than happy to try one ??? but doubt there would be any takers .   

As for swivels I have been using one for the last year or so I have mixed feelings about them they are good for some jobs but not others , as for causing arm wrist issues I haven’t experienced that and wouldn’t think it should cause any problems but we are all different so again I suppose it could affect one and not the other person . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.  I was edging towards ova 8 based on the flat sides and therefore no spin (I would have used gardiner brush on it though as I own several) but now I'm back to not being sure which one to go for.  ?

Ether two I have tried 17’ and 22’ but not HI MOD felt nice in the hand but really heavy compared to my extreme poles.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.  I was edging towards ova 8 based on the flat sides and therefore no spin (I would have used gardiner brush on it though as I own several) but now I'm back to not being sure which one to go for.  ?
Unfortunately the only way for you to truly find out if an Ova8 will help or not help you is to buy one and try it yourself. If it doesn't help or makes things worse, then you have a definitive answer. You can then sell it on Ebay.

Unfortunately the only way for you to truly find out if an Ova8 will help or not help you is to buy one and try it yourself. If it doesn't help or makes things worse, then you have a definitive answer. You can then sell it on Ebay.
I agree but every time I have bought another brand of pole I have ended up disappointed and sold it ???

I agree but every time I have bought another brand of pole I have ended up disappointed and sold it ???
If I'm happy with a product and the supplier I tend to stay with that supplier. There is nothing wrong with Gardiner poles IMHO so I stick with them. I really don't understand why some want to have a change. But if the O/P @YNWA1988thinks the shape could help his hands then I can understand that and a genuine reason for considering the change.

I moved up from an SLX22 to an SLX27. I was concerned about the extra base diameter as well as the additional weight. I know that the extra base diameter of my SLX40 is too big for me to use comfortably.

We use a 22 and a 25 Xtreme. My daughter uses the 22, and I the 25, coupled with Xtreme brushes.

The difference in use between the Xtreme and the SLX (which are great poles) is like night and day to me. If you want the workout, or don't mind it, the SLX's are great and will take a fair bit of rough handling. The Xtremes are not as robust if handled the same way as an SLX but they have been great for me as I am experiencing a few aches and pains associated with getting older and they have noticeably reduced since using them.

On a related issue, It surprises me the number of users who experience problems with Gardiner poles spinning. I have needed to make an adjustment from time to time even once or twice during a day, but it's simple to do and never been an issue that makes me want to change poles. I actually think it's good to have a bit of give. 

BTW, my comment on the 'spinning' issue is in no way meant to put down Ova8 poles. I have never tried them, so can't comment on my experience of them. 

On a related issue, It surprises me the number of users who experience problems with Gardiner poles spinning. I have needed to make an adjustment from time to time even once or twice during a day, but it's simple to do and never been an issue that makes me want to change poles. I actually think it's good to have a bit of give. 
I agree, the key is to keep them well adjusted, only takes a moment, that and change the shims occasionally.

True, but that is not the experience most have I think.
My reply was on a quote that he was surprised that anyone complains about them spinning. The fact that it doesn't happen to everyone is little condolence to the person that it does and surely that person that it happens to has every right to relay their experience on a forum where personal experience is a major part of most topics.

My reply was on a quote that he was surprised that anyone complains about them spinning. The fact that it doesn't happen to everyone is little condolence to the person that it does and surely that person that it happens to has every right to relay their experience on a forum where personal experience is a major part of most topics.
Sorry PT. Maybe I didn't word it too well.  I wasn't expressing surprise that others were actually complaining about their experiences, but rather that we have such widely differing experiences with the same product  Reporting our experiences hopefully leads to better products in time.

I have two of these poles as I mentioned. One has fairly loose Nyloc nuts in the clamps and the newer one has fairly tight ones. However, none of the clamps on either pole come loose and cause the sections to spin to the degree some have reported.

I wonder if our differing experiences has something to do with where we work.  For example, I'm based down south and we probably have lesser swings of temperature than you do up north.  Also the temperature differential between the sunny side of a street and the shady side is likely greater up there.  My poles definitely respond quite quickly to differing temperatures during a day.  On a cold day or when working in the shade on a sunny day for prolonged periods, my clamps tend to become slacker, and one or two may need tightening slightly if they start to lose there grip. The opposite is also true, but it is seldom more than a couple of times a day and normally only one or two clamps that are affected enough for me to have to adjust them.  This may account in part for the differences we experience. 

However, if I were having to adjust 5 or 6 clamps, 5 or 6 times a day I would likely be irritated enough to be mentioning it too.

my extreem 22  now has duct tape on     as sections started spinning around 14/16 months  from new .   slx  much stronger and longer lasting 

Need to keep them thin poles super clean any grit wears em down so easily 
not worth the money if you’ve gotta replace em every year when an slx will last for years and years 

Need to keep them thin poles super clean any grit wears em down so easily 
not worth the money if you’ve gotta replace em every year when an slx will last for years and years 
It all depends what you earn in a year £600 for  an extream 22 isn’t a lot if you are near the VAT level , Evan at 30k per year it’s not a lot of money especially as it makes the working day easier and less strain on the body , usually they will last 15-18 months at least . 

I disagree I’ve used an extreme can’t use them like slxs as they snap like twigs so wasting time changing poles over etc 

I could be earning 100k a year and I’d still buy slxs over them if they’re gonna last 4 or 5 times longer

£250 for 5 years 

or nearly £2k buying 3 poles 

I like to save wherever possible ?

I disagree I’ve used an extreme can’t use them like slxs as they snap like twigs so wasting time changing poles over etc 

I could be earning 100k a year and I’d still buy slxs over them if they’re gonna last 4 or 5 times longer

£250 for 5 years 

or nearly £2k buying 3 poles 

I like to save wherever possible ?
We have had every extream pole ever produced right from the first one and have only ever broken 3 sections , I never clean or replace the tape etc don’t  have the time , I use an extream 22 as my everyday pole I find they usually last 15-24 months on avarage , we also have them in 25,35 theses are used less often and are 4-5 years old ???? And are fine , if you are snapping sections like twigs you are obviously far to heavy handed , they arnt as robust as a slx I agree but with normal use will last a reasonable time I can earn well into six figures with the life of one pole so £600 is good value I have not found a slx to last 4-5 times longer we find on avarage a six will last 24-30 months avarage that’s using all the poles for  the same duration , we have 8 poles on each van so have a reasonable experience in how long each version will last . If using a lighter stiffer pole makes the working day ,week, month etc easier it’s worth the expense , what extream poles do you have and how long do you find they last ?? How many sections have you replaced and over what period if time ?? We all would like things to last forever but poles are a high ware rate item , I have estimated that on our average working day the pole is opened and closed on average approximately 90-120 times so over a week that’s 450-600 so over a year that equates to around 20,700- 27,600 that’s a lot of friction and ware so the life span the pole has when looked at like this I think it’s quite good ??

I’ve had 18 extremes and a 18 carbon nano from Xline 

snapped one going over a conservatory horizontally , one due to age and wear another hitting a wall when going through alley extended and another when the wind blew it over not a case of being heavy handed 2 of them operator fault but they should be able to take a bash here and there 

yes my last pole replaced two sections lasted me 5 years employee still uses now still right as rain that’s probably earned multiple hundreds of thousands

question

do you use extremes for fascia gutter cleans ? 

I’ve had 18 extremes and a 18 carbon nano from Xline 

snapped one going over a conservatory horizontally , one due to age and wear another hitting a wall when going through alley extended and another when the wind blew it over not a case of being heavy handed 2 of them operator fault but they should be able to take a bash here and there 

yes my last pole replaced two sections lasted me 5 years employee still uses now still right as rain that’s probably earned multiple hundreds of thousands

question

do you use extremes for fascia gutter cleans ? 
Yes I use mine for window cleaning , gfs and wall scrubbing when soft washing, I don’t abuse them but neither do I take it to easy with them I view them as a tool to do a job and when worn out just replace them 

Anyone ever used either or both of these poles? How do they compare? I've narrowed it down to these 2 poles that I am very seriously considering buying. 

I've recently had hand and forearm pain. I currently use slx 22 but thinking of going for somthing lighter. 

Pros/cons for Xtreme, (from what I've read) good reputation, rigid, compatible with all my other gardiner stuff (always went with Gardiner gear like brushes etc) 

Pros/cons for Ova 8. No spin, slightly cleaper but slightly heavier by 60g

Really not sure which one to go for. 

I'm wondering if the ova 8 pole shape will help with my hand pain.... although I do wonder if the pains are from using a swivel for the past 4 years? What are your thoughts on that also please... does the swivel cause hand/wrist/forearm pain? 

Thank you
I'd personally wait a while until the mark2 over8 clamp system is tried & tested as I personally believe they are a far superior pole system in my opinion.

I see more Gardiner related pole & clamp issues than pjj's hot water replies 

Latest Posts

Back