Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Corroded black metal guttering

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DeLaCruz

New princes trust estates are using black metal guttering for a lot of their new builds. Today I went to do a GFS on one and it was caked in these white buildups - went up the ladder and got some pics . Basically parts of the gutter were not possible to clean - question is how can either offer a protection service to residents to prevent this or potentially restore / clean the not to bad houses rather than have to pass on all these addons 

6D6C8B4C-B8E3-495D-B4F5-0C3AE1ABD9F4.jpeg

E643105B-D9A5-4540-86E2-73FB3F995013.jpeg

New princes trust estates are using black metal guttering for a lot of their new builds. Today I went to do a GFS on one and it was caked in these white buildups - went up the ladder and got some pics . Basically parts of the gutter were not possible to clean - question is how can either offer a protection service to residents to prevent this or potentially restore / clean the not to bad houses rather than have to pass on all these addons 

View attachment 24540

View attachment 24541
Looks nasty. I'd report it to the client as you'll save them money for when it crumbles and falls down

Looks like salt or dissimilar metal corrosion 

Looks nasty. I'd report it to the client as you'll save them money for when it crumbles and falls down

Looks like salt or dissimilar metal corrosion 
Yeah client is very active in the keeping busy department ? i have explained the problem and passed on the pictures. Annoying to have to pass up on the high hourly of these small places GFS cleans though 

Not a lot you can do about it looks like electrolises , a lubricant like oil will help but you won’t get rid of it we see it a lot as well I always point out we cannot do anything about it before the clean 

It almost looks like aluminium corrosion but I doubt the fitting is aluminium. Is it just me or is it weird to see gutters bolted together?  

It that's a typical modern build - no paint on facia and bad quality gutters I am glad to live in a Victorian Bungalow. I wonder how long these houses will survive?

Melted tonnes of aluminium guttering that were bolted together like that.
I always thought that bolting was quite an old method? The OP suggested that this was a fairly new build.

Are they still using that type of construction in newer builds?

I am surprised that they are using ali gutters as they must be significantly more expensive let alone the maintenance issues. 

I bet you made a few quid melting that ali ? 

I always thought that bolting was quite an old method? The OP suggested that this was a fairly new build.

Are they still using that type of construction in newer builds?

I am surprised that they are using ali gutters as they must be significantly more expensive let alone the maintenance issues. 

I bet you made a few quid melting that ali ? 
They are building a lot of new homes down hear  and using old fashioned looking fittings rather than plastic gutters etc it’s a common problem with this corrosion I have a few customers living in houses with this that have had them replaced under warranty twice in less than 3 years . 

They are building a lot of new homes down hear  and using old fashioned looking fittings rather than plastic gutters etc it’s a common problem with this corrosion I have a few customers living in houses with this that have had them replaced under warranty twice in less than 3 years . 
I assumed that the new stuff that looked like the old cast iron was just posh plastic. Twice in 3 years, sounds like same environment as round here with all the salt in the air causing so much corrosion.

Cheers.

I assumed that the new stuff that looked like the old cast iron was just posh plastic. Twice in 3 years, sounds like same environment as round here with all the salt in the air causing so much corrosion.

Cheers.
Yes it’s made to look like cast iron , theses new houses are using the aluminium guttering and wooden windows due to planning laws they have to be environmentally friendly houses plastic is a big no no , some areas are however using plastic versions to look like cast iron it depends on the local planning department what they will and won’t accept . 

Yes it’s made to look like cast iron , theses new houses are using the aluminium guttering and wooden windows due to planning laws they have to be environmentally friendly houses plastic is a big no no , some areas are however using plastic versions to look like cast iron it depends on the local planning department what they will and won’t accept . 
I doubt they have any idea how much extra it's going to cost them to maintain their environmental house ? With those wooden window frames, facia boards, soffits, gutters, downpipes etc to repaint every few years plus access tower /scaffolding costs. I bet most of them haven't got a clue ?

Back