Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Introduction and progression

ChrisBlack84

Hello all

Been lurking on the forum for a couple weeks while building my brand. I've currently got 4 customers while working a full time job and a retained firefighter.

I have everything in place to kick off time to start canvassing/promoting my business to finally make the change to a full time windie where i can be my own boss.

Thanks for the welcome ?
I aim to please. ??

Seriously though, is the job market really that bad atm? You want a propper job, I only did this as a stop gap 20 years ago until I find something I want to do.

☺?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good job to have being retained I have been in the fire service as a retained watch manager for over 30 years , you can drop and go being your own boss without having any grief from anyone . 

Today I completed a job with lots of sash windows. I was there over 2 hours. I totally got the quotation wrong as I charged a FT clean of £25 and £18 every 4 weeks.  I realised I got the price wrong and was honest with the customer. I told him i had under quoted but I would honor the price of £25 for the first clean and would charge £25 every month. He understood and being happy with how thorough i was be was happy to pay £25 every month.

A good lesson learnt today. Sash window take time.

Also got his neighbor on board.

Today I completed a job with lots of sash windows. I was there over 2 hours. I totally got the quotation wrong as I charged a FT clean of £25 and £18 every 4 weeks.  I realised I got the price wrong and was honest with the customer. I told him i had under quoted but I would honor the price of £25 for the first clean and would charge £25 every month. He understood and being happy with how thorough i was be was happy to pay £25 every month.

sash windows take no longer than any other windows once the first clean is done,even then 2 hours seems excessive for a first clean....how big was the property?i clean quite a few large victorian houses with sash windows and breeze through them on maintenance cleans....i have 2 that are next door to each other at £40 a pop every 6 weeks,they take 30 mins each so £80 for an hours work,that includes a few 3 storey windows that i have to get my high level pole out for.....

hopefully next time the job should take you no longer than 30 mins to clean....

It's not that big a property. It's only the 4th property I've cleaned to far. 

I'm doing the neighbours house tomorrow which is similar. I will get them on them same run next month.

Screenshot_20210513-085331_Chrome.jpg

It's not that big a property. It's only the 4th property I've cleaned to far. 

I'm doing the neighbours house tomorrow which is similar. I will get them on them same run next month.

View attachment 24628
their not sash windows!their GEORGIAN WINDOWS mate!that property should take you no longer than 30 mins to clean on maintenance 4 weekly  visits even if theres a conservatory on the back......

Yep I realised the same, I do 2 flats 1 above the other, all sash windows, luckily I break into 4 sections ,do all the top of flat above ,then the bottom of above flat and so on if that makes sense. Gives the top Sash time to drip dry a bit before doing the lower part.

I've just been asked to quite on this property. It's currently more than I can take on. What's the best why to refuse the quote? Also what sort of quote would you guys offer? It's all 1 Job but they asked for separate quotes for both buildings.

20210513_202157.jpg

20210513_202233.jpg

ChrisBlack84 said:
I've just been asked to quite on this property. It's currently more than I can take on. What's the best why to refuse the quote? Also what sort of quite would yiu guys offer? It's all 1 Jon but they asked for separate quotes for both buildings.

20210513_202157.jpg

20210513_202233.jpg

20210513_202255.jpg

20210513_202334.jpg

I've just been asked to quite on this property. It's currently more than I can take on. What's the best why to refuse the quote? Also what sort of quote would you guys offer? It's all 1 Job but they asked for separate quotes for both buildings.

View attachment 24633

View attachment 24634

View attachment 24635

View attachment 24636
Hey Chris, without coming across rude what is the reason it is more than you can take on? Access, equipment etc? 

If you let us know we might be able to help advise you buddy because that looks like a good earner to me, plenty of panes if you can get a good price!

View attachment 24633

View attachment 24634

View attachment 24635

View attachment 24636
Is it Richard or Sam you're dealing with? Be very careful what you put on the internet, especially potential customers asking for a quote. 

Just be honest and tell them you're a newbie but you'd very much appreciate the opportunity to quote when you're capable of doing so.

Hey Chris, without coming across rude what is the reason it is more than you can take on? Access, equipment etc? 

If you let us know we might be able to help advise you buddy because that looks like a good earner to me, plenty of panes if you can get a good price!
I've only got trad equipment. It just looks like more than I can chew. I'd happily take it on if I was WFP. That's something I want to commit to when I'm sure that this is the career change I want.

Latest Posts

Back