Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Hypo on paving slabs

Long story short, we were cleaning a very dirty conservatory roof. I ran out of no nonsense degreaser so added a a bit of hypo into the mix instead.

this house literally had new paving all out down. It’s the grey granite look paving although I don’t think it is granite? Some of the hypo has splashed onto them and the customer has rang me today saying there is some yellow splash marks obviously from the hypo.

obviously this isn’t going to go away and will it just be a case of me replacing them ? 

first I’ve ever heard of hypo leaving yellow splash marks. I thought it would have went lighter if anything ?

It shouldn’t leave yellow marks on paving if it’s dirty it will clean it , I would softwash the whole patio that should make it all the same 

Just now, Pjj said:

It shouldn’t leave yellow marks on paving if it’s dirty it will clean it , I would softwash the whole patio that should make it all the same 

That’s what I thought, the flags have literally only been put down aswell and they where spotless as I commented how will it looked since the last time I was round cleaning the windows! 

We done the conservatory roof on Thursday and he’s only rang me today. I’m assuming he has seen them on Friday and only rang me now as it’s been an absolute brutal day here today weather wise. Hopefully the rain takes it away 😖

41 minutes ago, CHWS said:

That’s what I thought, the flags have literally only been put down aswell and they where spotless as I commented how will it looked since the last time I was round cleaning the windows! 

We done the conservatory roof on Thursday and he’s only rang me today. I’m assuming he has seen them on Friday and only rang me now as it’s been an absolute brutal day here today weather wise. Hopefully the rain takes it away 😖

When we use hypo on stuff I always wet the area down before application to stop unwanted cleaning but there will usually be some clean marks , Ime surprised in a new clean patio was it neat hypo that was spilt ?? What is the surface that it’s gone on ?? Any pictures?? Sounds very unusual,unless it’s bleached the colour out of the surface , but that only usually happens with new tarmac in not rinsed down.  

38 minutes ago, Pjj said:

When we use hypo on stuff I always wet the area down before application to stop unwanted cleaning but there will usually be some clean marks , Ime surprised in a new clean patio was it neat hypo that was spilt ?? What is the surface that it’s gone on ?? Any pictures?? Sounds very unusual,unless it’s bleached the colour out of the surface , but that only usually happens with new tarmac in not rinsed down.  

I’m surprised myself that’s why I never even bothered to wet anywhere down ! It wasn’t even neat hypo that was spilt. It was mixed in a bucket and not overly a large amount went into the bucket. It was paving flags , the light grey colour that have a grain to them and a slight sparkle from what I remember . I’m calling back on Monday and I will get some pictures. I still find it quite strange but then just my luck 😣

1 hour ago, CHWS said:

I’m surprised myself that’s why I never even bothered to wet anywhere down ! It wasn’t even neat hypo that was spilt. It was mixed in a bucket and not overly a large amount went into the bucket. It was paving flags , the light grey colour that have a grain to them and a slight sparkle from what I remember . I’m calling back on Monday and I will get some pictures. I still find it quite strange but then just my luck 😣

It would be interesting to see pictures as it’s strange how it would affect concrete unless it has some sort of algi growth on it ?? 

1 hour ago, Pjj said:

It would be interesting to see pictures as it’s strange how it would affect concrete unless it has some sort of algi growth on it ?? 

I will grab some on Monday and report back. But literally they are brand new 

• Like 2

I’m just back from the customers house. The marks were all over the place . Like a brown orange. I had seen a posting on the other forum that moss killer caused these type of marks. Sure as hell I could smell moss killer , thanks god I’m out of the woods. He had his wife even test with bleach on spare ones they had.

that’s a weight of the shoulders 😁

• Like 2

Moss killer is usually copper sulphate based.

It is good on roofs etc but I've learnt something from your experience now and would watch out for that.

• Like 2

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.