Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Safety cage on. 500 wydale upright tank.

Jonny 67

Hi guys, hope you can advise. I'm looking at the diy safety cage on wyedale 500. I think there are numerous fixing points. Does it have to be bolted through the van floor? Or to the bulkhead, or both? TIA

Ps. Safety cage is from cleaning warehouse.....

You have 500kg of water plus tank and frame. In the event of an accident this can be multiplied easily by 4, so close to 2 tons!!!! As @Martyn said spreader plates under the floor are required. Basically the van floor is thin steel, so if you just used bolts and washers that 2 tons, in an accident, would be enough to pull the washers through the steel floor and then the tank can crush you between it and the steering wheel!!!!! Bulkheads are again thin steel, more designed to stop a cardboard box or a bit of 4 x 2 hitting you. 

You really need the tank secured as well as you can and the under floor load spread as much as possible across the chassis and floor. In the event of an accident it's your life you are risking!!!!

PS if you can ever find manufacturers specs for the 'lashing eyes' in the back you will be lucky if they are rated at 50kg!!!! So don't just strap a tank down to them thinking they will take any load!!!

Hi guys, hope you can advise. I'm looking at the diy safety cage on wyedale 500. I think there are numerous fixing points. Does it have to be bolted through the van floor? Or to the bulkhead, or both? TIA

Ps. Safety cage is from cleaning warehouse.....
The bulkhead offers zero mechanical or safe form of fixing.

Just reading your question sets off alarm bells, 

There are plenty of safety tank frames available and if you research them you'll see how they mount to the vehicle.

You can buy fitted welded aluminium, stainless Steel and also a bolt together unistrut system.

I think your best bet without going to indepth would be to find your nearest supplier and talk about installation and purchase as diy = instant death 

Last edited by a moderator:
The bulkhead offers zero mechanical or safe form of fixing.

Just reading your question sets off alarm bells, 

There are plenty of safety tank frames available and if you research them you'll see how they mount to the vehicle.

You can buy filled welded aluminium, stainless Steel and also a bolt together unistrut system.

I think your best bet without going to indepth would be to find your nearest supplier and talk about installation and purchase as diy = instant death 
So important to do the job properly.

The other thing to consider @Jonny 67 is that not every small van will carry a 500 litre water tank. For example, an older Berlingo 600LX will not carry the weight of a full 500 litre tank of water. My lad has an 800LX. With a full tank of 500 litres and his other stuff he is on the limit of his payload. If I get in his van it will be overloaded.

I have a Peugeot Boxer 333 swb van with a 650 litre tank. I can't fit that tank width ways across the van up against the bulkhead as the front axle will be overloaded. If I want the tank width ways I need to position it back toward the rear axle. If I fit it length ways I can put the front of the tank close to the bulkhead.

If you look at the wheel base of a Renault Trafic/Vauxhall Vivaro 2900 you will see that the bulkhead is much more centred between the front and rear axle. You are able to fit a 650 litre tank across the bulkhead of those vans for example.

There is a load distribution formula on this forum that helps you to identify where to fit a tank. But my advice also is to get the tank professionally fitted. As @Apw1210says; the question you ask starts ringing alarms bells with me as well. If the tank isn't fitted properly you are a danger to yourself and other road users.

The first thing that came to my mind reading your post was of a young windie who was killed in a 3 way bumper bashing accident in Norfolk a few years back. His tank wasn't secured properly and it squashed him against the steering wheel and killed him.

Thanks guys. What type of business fits a tank and will have the know how of where to fit it in the van? I live in Lancashire, so would be grateful if any of you guys know of a business that will install.  TIA

Thanks guys. What type of business fits a tank and will have the know how of where to fit it in the van? I live in Lancashire, so would be grateful if any of you guys know of a business that will install.  TIA
try your local garage..i had mine fitted for £80(pure freedom cage and 500L upright tank)nearly 4 years ago now....

Cheers Dazmond ?
Dazmond was fortunate in that his garage knew what they were doing. Having worked in the motor trade, most mechanics haven't a clue about anything like this. There is no way I would trust my life with them. Sorry.

I would be asking people such as PureFreedom to do it, people who know what to do and how to do it.

There are companies around who are body builders and modifiers. If a search doesn't bring up anyone, ask the question at a local motor dealer who deals with commercial vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Spruce, I'm on it. I'll get it done professionally. My mechanic will know of someone. Plenty of time, as the tank I ordered today will be here 3/4 weeks!!

Have a look on facebook for Bailys WFP systems. Joe is superb supplyis and fits all sorts of tanks and systems and Van's if you dont have one already. Can highly reccomend hi. His unit is just off the M1 I cant remember exactly but where but not a million miles from Sheffield or cleaning warehouse in Wolverhampton. Sunny is the tech there and does a great job fitting tanks

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it. Advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website.

Our website also relies on advertising to keep the doors open and the lights on!

For the best site experience, please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock