Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

decking cleaning

deepclean

i have a  deck to clean i cleaned it 4 years ago then 2 years ago i cleaned it with a 20 inch  flat surface cleaner and they stained it natural but now they want it cleaned again should i softwash mix it then flat surface clean it  or softwash mix then low pressure nozzle its not that dirty 

?   so a 1 to 10 mix  or are you taking the p
I generally use a 6 or 8 to 1 , at that ratio it will need a bit longer dwell time then pow with fsc on low pressure and be carful as it can turn the surface like cotton wool , I think you can enhance the wood colour by going over it with oxalic acid mix after @kevinc250 would be the best one to advise about this . 

I generally use a 6 or 8 to 1 , at that ratio it will need a bit longer dwell time then pow with fsc on low pressure and be carful as it can turn the surface like cotton wool , I think you can enhance the wood colour by going over it with oxalic acid mix after @kevinc250 would be the best one to advise about this . 
ok thanks he used ronseal natural stain  but he has bought a different type to apply he used 7 tubs of it at £45 a tin last time 

anyway i will do as you say and let him stain it ?

thanks for the tag paul, sadly oxalic acid is one thing which won't prove to be effective on that decking as its usually a follow on from sodium hydroxide, thats a pretty nice and fairly clean decking though so i really can't understand why people are saying bleach it etc but i understand that hypo this or that is all the rage nowadays as it seems the only solution to all problems and a cure all for every situation.

if the guy spent £45 a tin x seven on staining the decking the last thing you really want to do is go in with a fsc mate and turbo the edges and apply hypo with abandon but, consider another option as the decking is fairly clean why not consider spraying down some good quality tfr and agitate with your pole and a worn out brush then use a karcher to clean the dirt away (karchers have their uses whilst not the 21lpm with a v 12 super marine spitfire engine they are gentle enough in this case not to tear off all the previous stain and damage the timber beyond repair).

when it is clean enough arrange for a visit within a few days of dry weather to apply a benz biocide  or alghoclear prior to staining as this will pre treat the wood before the staining process, thats how i would be doing it theres just no need for hypo on a job like this and would probably cause more harm to the timber, my old tutor used to say don't crack a peanut with a sledgehammer and in this case hypo would be the sledgehammer-hope this helps.

thanks for the tag paul, sadly oxalic acid is one thing which won't prove to be effective on that decking as its usually a follow on from sodium hydroxide, thats a pretty nice and fairly clean decking though so i really can't understand why people are saying bleach it etc but i understand that hypo this or that is all the rage nowadays as it seems the only solution to all problems and a cure all for every situation.

if the guy spent £45 a tin x seven on staining the decking the last thing you really want to do is go in with a fsc mate and turbo the edges and apply hypo with abandon but, consider another option as the decking is fairly clean why not consider spraying down some good quality tfr and agitate with your pole and a worn out brush then use a karcher to clean the dirt away (karchers have their uses whilst not the 21lpm with a v 12 super marine spitfire engine they are gentle enough in this case not to tear off all the previous stain and damage the timber beyond repair).

when it is clean enough arrange for a visit within a few days of dry weather to apply a benz biocide  or alghoclear prior to staining as this will pre treat the wood before the staining process, thats how i would be doing it theres just no need for hypo on a job like this and would probably cause more harm to the timber, my old tutor used to say don't crack a peanut with a sledgehammer and in this case hypo would be the sledgehammer-hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply Ian sorry I have not got back earlier   I have all the chems you have mentioned and I have a very small.  Electric washer which I use seldom 

this info has helped me a lot didn't know about treating decking  with bio. Before staining 

I use. 1 to 30. Mix tfr. On. Velux. Normally

So. I will.  Try.   1 to ,20.  On the decking 

??

Ronseal Decking Restorer is another easy to obtain, off the shelf product that is good to use prior to restaining / oiling a deck and Everbuild Triple Action Wood Treatment / preserver is a cost effective preservative that can be applied to damp wood and prevents rot / wood eating insects / algae etc but without sealing the wood so stain   / oil can be applied on top of it.

But if he used 7 cans last time the wood might still be sealed and unsuitable for re-oiling without stripping the old stuff off - that's what manufacturers like Ronseal recommend anyway. Although I don't rate their deck strpper at all really and you need alot of it, but they do say old coats should be stripped frst.

Ronseal Decking Restorer is another easy to obtain, off the shelf product that is good to use prior to restaining / oiling a deck and Everbuild Triple Action Wood Treatment / preserver is a cost effective preservative that can be applied to damp wood and prevents rot / wood eating insects / algae etc but without sealing the wood so stain   / oil can be applied on top of it.

But if he used 7 cans last time the wood might still be sealed and unsuitable for re-oiling without stripping the old stuff off - that's what manufacturers like Ronseal recommend anyway. Although I don't rate their deck strpper at all really and you need alot of it, but they do say old coats should be stripped first
Thanks for the info ?

Ide use a fan jet go over hole thing then come back once dry and bio it 
Alright tench  thanks. He is now saying he may do it and buy decking. Cleaner from bnq or wicks to be honest. Iam getting sick of. Him he keeps. Changing his mind. What ever. He decides I will keep you  notified on here 

Back