Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Called it early today. Heavy rain

Davy G

We called it off early today. Home by 11:30. Did about eight small to medium jobs in one local area. It was light rain when we started but got progressively heavier. We don't mind working in light to medium rain but when the boxer shorts get wet that's our finish line for the day. Upper body was perfectly dry. Feet were perfectly dry (first class jackets and boots). But the rain was running down our jackets and soaking our trousers. We don't wear waterproof trousers they are just too warm. I wonder if it's as wet for you guys outside of North Wiltshire?

Same as. No fun getting wet. 

Did one large job early doors, where I got a bit soaked finishing off. Sat in the van for 40mins, but didn’t clear up, and to be honest, I didn’t “need” to be out working, so I just came home ?? 

Yep! I had years out on pipelines and utility (water and gas) road and site work. We stopped for nothing. We worked in every weather that was thrown at us. Sometimes through the night on emergencies and connections. Not too unusual to get home covered in mud and grit with nothing but the tops of my toes remotely dry. And that was after wearing those horrible heavy yellow plastic oilskins. If the rain didn't get in the sweat didn't evaporate out.

Ahem! Character building at the time I suppose but it's not what I started my business for at nearly sixty years of age. ?

I finished at 12. My last two jobs I got completely soaked through. I managed to finish all the work I had planned in though, so I’m happy. 

Tell the truth, bladder control is not what it used to be at your age. ?
Haha! I have the bladder control of a desert camel. Ten or twelve hours if put to it usually, before desperation starts to set in. This system wasn't messed with in my surgery.

Bowel control is another thing, though! Sometimes a five minute or less warning, and it's; "Clear the gangway missus, no time to talk?!" Got to laugh! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been dodging the rain all afternoon. I didn't start until lunchtime today!  Just 2 more to do. 

i booked today off as i had my electrics checked in my flat and boiler serviced...they were both done and dusted for 1230pm so had my haircut and took the dog for a walk this afternoon...just missed the rain as it chucked it down just after getting home!?

dry here in the north west tomorrow....tbh ive only got caught in a 5 min shower all week when out cleaning.....

Dear me we have had sunshine all day with a slight breeze had a good day ???? almost a record for earnings ???

I picked a good afternoon to interview for a new part timer. Home by 1 then 3 interviews before picking the kids up. 

Been a beautiful day here up in the North East managed to get my round finished off today so a nice long weekend for me happy days ?

I picked a good afternoon to interview for a new part timer. Home by 1 then 3 interviews before picking the kids up. 
Did you find the right person? I tooknon a dad of my daughters friend 2 weeks ago, hes took to it like a duck to water, hes happy that we dont work in rain too ??

Did you find the right person? I tooknon a dad of my daughters friend 2 weeks ago, hes took to it like a duck to water, hes happy that we dont work in rain too ??
Time will tell ?

Had 4 to interview and two stood out and was quite a tough call between them. Going to offer over the weekend and start next week

Time will tell ?

Had 4 to interview and two stood out and was quite a tough call between them. Going to offer over the weekend and start next week
Its so much nicer to work with somebody, twice in last 2 weeks weve got 2 days work done in a day, i have him with me every day so even on my shorter days where id finish at 1ish on my own i know can work out how many more customers i can fit in with 2 of us.

Pretty confident we can fit 800 into our 6weekly rounds with 2 of us, where i was finding it tough from 350+ on my own

Finished at 12 but was a blessing in disguise. Gave me a couple of hours to quote 7 properties in that village. The quote list is increasing by the day.

Have you all found (this year) that the phone/email/web enquiry form won't stop going off?

Back