Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How would you quote?

JCW

Hi guys, as I clean outside almost everything by pole, I recently came acros a massive commercial building, which must be cleaned only traditionaly.
This is complex with: 34 windows height 900mm lenght 1500-1800mm.
25 full glass doors
11 small windows 900*900mm
All only from outside.
There isn't dirt on the frames much, only dust and cobwebs, and windows looks quite well. Rubers under top frame are new, no smearing expected. Frames are not deep inside of building, it is simple job. Everything is on the ground floor, so no ladder or pole extension.
I do only the inside cleanings traditionally (mostly terraced doors, french or conservatories), so I am not very quick with squeegee, that's why I am not able to count it by my time spent. When I clean inside, I simply place the same amount for outside cleaning, even if this takes me longer.
How would you quote it?
Thank you very much!

I would go with a pound a piece for the doors and small windows, two pounds a piece for the bigger windows. a bit less if you are in a cheap area.

Why must it be cleaned trad ?? If they won’t allow wfp we wouldn’t quote the job . Not interested in trading outsides that can be poled .

We are normally around £1.50 per window, 70 windows from standing, maybe £90-100, can't imagine that would take very long, but we don't target more than 20 windows per hour, 3 mins each window inc travel etc.

For a single pane of glass I can clean that trad very quickly, you should be able to clean each one within a minute, not counting time moving from window to window. If your going slower than that, get on YouTube and get practising.

Thank you for so many responses!
It must be traditionally, because of safety. This is a centre for several disabled people, where they play games in the gardens and so on. They can trip on the hose, which would be travelling about 150m across the gardens...

laddergarder - I did a small test, and I clean a medium window with 3 panels, including wiping frames, in 2min 42sec, but it was the max what I get out of myself  ?  Thanks for the suggestions.

Martyn - Thanks for your point of view.

You both aim for 100£, so I will charge them similarly.

Will see how much time it takes me ?

It must be traditionally, because of safety. This is a centre for several disabled people, where they play games in the gardens and so on. They can trip on the hose, which would be travelling about 150m across the gardens...
Can't you do it out of hrs, then use wfp? I don't know your working practices but early in morning, early evening or even weekend?

laddergarder - I did a small test, and I clean a medium window with 3 panels, including wiping frames, in 2min 42sec, but it was the max what I get out of myself  ?  Thanks for the suggestions.

Jobs like this are usually done out of normal working hours , we do some nursing homes and secure mental health accommodation jobs that have secure compounds we clean the windows in theses areas either very early or late in the day after the residents are back inside we also have a member of staff out with us just in case there are any problems ,we wfp all of them , it’s much faster , easier, and a better finish .

1800mm seems quite wide?? I can’t say I’ve ever measured a window but just hope you can do those in one climb!

as ched says I’d offer it wfp early morning or evening when it suits and charge extra for the hassle 

wfp £80-90 ish?? 

Trad I’d want £140-150

Best of luck with it.

2 options, as others have suggested, do it when no one is there. Do it with a backpack / trolley with a short hose.

2 options, as others have suggested, do it when no one is there. Do it with a backpack / trolley with a short hose.
I use trolley only for chemicals. Why didn't it occur to me ? ? Maybe i should properly flush it to get 0ppm as there is residue on the bottom. Already sent an estimate for 120£. If they refuse, I will offer them a backpack system.
They refuse me to come earlier or later, only from 9am until 5pm, when office is open. I feel like, if I would speak with a different person there, I could do whatever I want.. brrr.. 

thanks guys a lot

It must be traditionally because of safety!? Carrying ladders, and buckets and climbing, safe!? How does that work? What about YOUR right to get home safely at the end of a working day? It's for the professional tradesman to decide the safe, efficient methodology to get their work done. Not someone with no experience in an office, just because they want to call the shots. The first reason we use wfp is for safety, followed by speed and better quality finish. I'd be asking them to put it in writing that they want you to use ladders. If it were me I'd walk away rather than use ladders when I have the safer, quicker more efficient alternative. That's my understanding of the law anyway. I wonder how your insurer would feel about it? You could try @Part Timerd suggestion but I think it would be hard, thankless work transporting the amount of water you're likely to need.

The logical thing is to do as the others said. Do it out of hours. How hard can it be for them to allow that? I don't have a good feeling about this one.

I just looked at the projected speed to clean one normal three pane window, using trad. Well over 2 mins on full whack. I'd expect to have at least three done in that time with the pole. Probably 4 or five on a steady, efficient but un-rushed cruise. I expect some of the younger, bonny lads on the forum may well be quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think there is a trust issue here if they are not open to you doing them out of hours. I wouldn't be happy with it but it depends how much you need the work.

I clean three secure care homes for the mental health They are not allowed Outside while we clean. 

That's only because you're outside, anyone else it would be fine. Currently drinking amber liquid in Gloucester Quays at £2.89 a pint.

Round 2 in South Woodham is getting closer 
Looking forward to it when you due? 

Back