Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump not detecting dead end?

Turner31

Hi 

Just after some help, I've recently bought a new pump panel with controller and a new 100m hose/reel. Now my pump isn't dead ending when disconnecting the pole from hose and the pressure is building up when reconnecting pole to hose as water shoots out rapid on reconnection. Also the pump is still turning over as hasn't detected a dead end. 

Pump is a water genie v16 (pretty sure it's a shurflo just rebranded.) Controller is also water genie. 

All connections are great, no leaks from anywhere..

Any help much appreciated.

Dan 

Air lock without a doubt, run the pump flat out at 99 for 30 seconds then shut the water off with your tap or univalve whatever you are using, then reduce the flo in increments down to 65 then open up tap again close then reduce to 45 or whatever your normal setting is and it should de 

Hi 

Just after some help, I've recently bought a new pump panel with controller and a new 100m hose/reel. Now my pump isn't dead ending when disconnecting the pole from hose and the pressure is building up when reconnecting pole to hose as water shoots out rapid on reconnection. Also the pump is still turning over as hasn't detected a dead end. 

Pump is a water genie v16 (pretty sure it's a shurflo just rebranded.) Controller is also water genie. 

All connections are great, no leaks from anywhere..

Any help much appreciated.

Dan 
If you haven't calibrated it yet you'll most likely have teething issues 

30 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

If you haven't calibrated it yet you'll most likely have teething issues 

Thanks for the tip mate, I've just run my controller through auto calibration and it's all working as should now. Nice one. 

Hi

Im currently setting up my van for wfp for the first time. I’ve just calibrated my controller but every time I turn off the water to my pole with my univalve the controller keeps going from DE to the flow rate. Is this normal or should the pump be cutting off. It doesn’t sound normal. Its just stop/starting. I’m new to all this so any help is greatly appreciated. 
Thanks. 

Sorry mate didn't mean to offend. I just assumed all v16's came with instructions as mine did. Obviously they don't! 
The should all have instructions regardless if they are supplier branded are Spring Europe Ltd fully boxed.

Most likely a supplier skimping on paper

Hi

Im currently setting up my van for wfp for the first time. I’ve just calibrated my controller but every time I turn off the water to my pole with my univalve the controller keeps going from DE to the flow rate. Is this normal or should the pump be cutting off. It doesn’t sound normal. Its just stop/starting. I’m new to all this so any help is greatly appreciated. 
Thanks. 

Hi

Im currently setting up my van for wfp for the first time. I’ve just calibrated my controller but every time I turn off the water to my pole with my univalve the controller keeps going from DE to the flow rate. Is this normal or should the pump be cutting off. It doesn’t sound normal. Its just stop/starting. I’m new to all this so any help is greatly appreciated. 
Thanks. 
Recalibrate as activating a univalve will or should present PS pressure switch

Recalibrate as activating a univalve will or should present PS pressure switch
No!!!! PS is when the maximum pressure has been achieved in the pump. This is dangerous. If it’s auto calibrated correct it shouldn’t be activating the pressure switch in the pump!! It should display DE when the pump controller detects a stoppage eg tap closed. The display should flash from DE to the flow rate while pulsing every two to three seconds sensing the pressure in the hose. When tap is open it will sense this and start pumping again. Correct calibration will prevent PS from showing.   The correct calibration is not having a massive big pressure build up when you turn the tap back on. 

Thanks a mill @Stevieboy  That is exactly what's happening with mine. when I turn off the univalve its pulsing every couple of seconds. I think it even does it less and less the longer the flow is turned off. I wasn't sur if this was normal or not so thanks for putting my mind at ease. Thanks for the reply. 

Thanks a mill @Stevieboy  That is exactly what's happening with mine. when I turn off the univalve its pulsing every couple of seconds. I think it even does it less and less the longer the flow is turned off. I wasn't sur if this was normal or not so thanks for putting my mind at ease. Thanks for the reply. 
I believe the pulsing is the controllers way of testing if you have opened the univalve. As you say the longer it has detected a DE the longer duration between test pulses.  

These controllers don't have a connection to the hose so can't directly detect pressure. So what I believe they do is monitor current consumption of the pump. During calibration the controller 'learns' what the DE current is of your system (i.e. your hose, connectors etc). Then when it detects the same high current after calibration it considers that DE and stops trying to get the pump to run. 

I believe the pulsing is the controllers way of testing if you have opened the univalve. As you say the longer it has detected a DE the longer duration between test pulses.  

These controllers don't have a connection to the hose so can't directly detect pressure. So what I believe they do is monitor current consumption of the pump. During calibration the controller 'learns' what the DE current is of your system (i.e. your hose, connectors etc). Then when it detects the same high current after calibration it considers that DE and stops trying to get the pump to run. 
Thanks @ched999ukDoes it do any damage the longer I leave the flow off? Or is this just normal?

Thanks @ched999ukDoes it do any damage the longer I leave the flow off? Or is this just normal?
No, it's designed to help prolong the pump life so it's fine to leave it on. It will consume a little current but it is very minimal. Personally if you are driving between jobs I would switch the controller off just in case of a hose split or something like that, but many people just leave it switched on.

Our pumps (two operators) mostly stay switched on throughout the day from the first job. As long as we're not travelling too far between jobs. If we're travelling for more than a few minutes or on the rare occasion we stop for lunch we switch off the pumps for the reason @ched999ukpointed out, of a potential leak. On a couple of occasions a pump has been accidentally left on overnight. It didn't cause any problems and the voltage reading was the same in the morning.

Leaving the pumps on most of the time has speeded up our work slightly as now we just open the doors, grab the pole and hose and stride on. Then simply reverse the process when finished the job. I did find the small delay when switching the controller on and off frustrating. Newer controllers might be quicker.

Our calibrations are always set to de as it's definitely gentler on the equipment. PS can put a lot of pressure in the hose and I believe it activates an electrical switch which can burn out over time. The de cut out is designed to detect pressure electronically and prevent that without any damage or significant battery drainage. I don't have a lot of knowledge of this side of things but I think I'm somewhere near.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back