Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning my oven, anyone got any advice?

Chris34

Thought I'd ask you lot as the internet seems to be full of **** advice that is a load of ********.

I know it's not window cleaning, but the door is glass so technically it is ?

Don't want to be using any harsh chemicals, not a fan of them.  Anyone got any ideas?  Bloody baked on grease and can't cook my dinner as it's horrible, smokes off.

Thought I'd ask you lot as the internet seems to be full of **** advice that is a load of ********.

I know it's not window cleaning, but the door is glass so technically it is ?

Don't want to be using any harsh chemicals, not a fan of them.  Anyone got any ideas?  Bloody baked on grease and can't cook my dinner as it's horrible, smokes off.
Pre warm the oven then turn off

Poundland elbow grease a magic sponge and soft worn green scouring pad along with your own elbow grease

Wet it up, with warm soapy water (fairy) , leave for 10 mins then a scraper!!!! Don't blame me if it scratches though ? It's the way I used to do ovens when we had 5 a day to do in a short time - holiday lets.

If you get a pro in they take it all apart and stick it in a bath unit in the back of their van. Looks brand new after they have finished.

Pay somebody else to do it, simples! ?
I need it done now... I'm hungry and smoked out my place last night, still stinks of smokey grease now ☹️

Don't trust anyone to clean anything anyway.  Rather pay myself to clean it ?

Think I'll warm it up and then give the pink stuff a go with magic sponge.  

If you get a pro in they take it all apart and stick it in a bath unit in the back of their van. Looks brand new after they have finished.
That sounds like a harsh chemical process, I'm sure it will look like new... not sure I like the idea of strong chemicals.  Don't like the idea of using the pink stuff, lol.

I'll post before and after pics ?

So I just used the pink stuff paste on a cold oven in the end.  I started off using microfibre, then used magic sponge and then went back to microfibre.  The longer it soaked in the easier it came off the glass but it took a hell of a lot of effort.  Just doing it inch by inch.

Not finished it yet, only had time to give the inside a quick wipe, it's grim.  I'll have to go back to it over the weekend but it does work.  What I will do over the weekend however is remove the inner glass and submerge it in a plastic tub with boiling water and plenty of the pink stuff mixed into the water.  Leave it to soak for about half an hour and then have a go at getting it clean.

The inside of the oven I think I'll heat it slightly and then go over it with a microfibre and the pink stuff paste.  It will be hard work but I think I can get a good result.  Good enough anyway.

Oven 1 before.jpg

Oven 1 after.jpg

Oven 2 before.jpg

Oven 2 after.jpg

Just use a bit of soapy water on the glass, leave to soak for 10 mins then a scraper it's so easy that way. You would use a scraper on a window glass so why not oven door glass? 

If you can get the oven tray supports out it makes cleaning easier. One last thing, some ovens have a 'self clean' setting where they use mega heat and burn off the dirt, no idea if that mode is any good but might be worth checking?

no chance, as I've done many commercial kitchen and environmental takeaway deep cleans

Needed more than a bowl of hot water
I can imagine it maybe softening it but steam surely will evaporate with the heat ?  So it will be dry heat not wet ?? 

It makes sense to me that it might work if done right. He's not talking about cleaning with hot water. He's talking about steam cleaning. I'd say that if a good head of steam is allowed to build up and circulate it could well soften the grease. I'd guess the job would all have to be done in rapid, correct order and with good gloves on because of the heat. Steam, thorough wipe, snag-wash, wipe. Before the grease re-hardened and before all of the water evaporated. I've never done it but it sounds to me like @scotts Lad nows what he's talking about.

It's in the book for maintenance for our cooker cold water in steam softens the dirt you still  need to use a degreaser but works so much easier 

Back