Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Update how I’m getting on

SRW

Got my add in the local parish magazine and got ask to quote my local church for inside window cleaning 

also been getting a few enquires regarding traditional cleaning as there last WFP guy wasn’t doing a good job. I explained to them that it’s all down to technique ect. They weren’t having non off it so I said I would do trad for them as it’s only 2 up 2 down and same on the back.. hopefully get them converted to WFP 

also how long did it take yous guys to get established. Or dose it depend on how meany cleaners are in your area ect 

ALL SO I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OFF YOUS FOR COMMENTING AND GIVING ME ADVICE THIS FOROME HAS LEARNED ME A LOT

ALL CRACKING LADS 

THANSK AGEN 

Got my add in the local parish magazine and got ask to quote my local church for inside window cleaning 

also been getting a few enquires regarding traditional cleaning as there last WFP guy wasn’t doing a good job. I explained to them that it’s all down to technique ect. They weren’t having non off it so I said I would do trad for them as it’s only 2 up 2 down and same on the back.. hopefully get them converted to WFP 

also how long did it take yous guys to get established. Or dose it depend on how meany cleaners are in your area ect 

ALL SO I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OFF YOUS FOR COMMENTING AND GIVING ME ADVICE THIS FOROME HAS LEARNED ME A LOT

ALL CRACKING LADS 

THANSK AGEN 
The way to tackle the dislike of wfp is to clean the fronts free of charge leave a card and walk away having given them a price , I do it all the time with ones that want trad  worked every time they phone up saying why didn’t they look like that with the last guy that did them , so far I have never done a job like this and not got the job in over 15 years 

The way to tackle the dislike of wfp is to clean the fronts free of charge leave a card and walk away having given them a price , I do it all the time with ones that want trad  worked every time they phone up saying why didn’t they look like that with the last guy that did them , so far I have never done a job like this and not got the job in over 15 years 
I think I’m going do that tbh ad rather be cleaning them WFP 

If you have WFP and you are going up a ladder to trad them I think that constitutes a H&S violation?
It would be an issue for me on a personal level, even if it's not technically illegal. I'll only use a ladder if there's no safer alternative. And that's for access only, I don't get involved in trad.

ALL CRACKING LADS 

THANSK AGEN 
your making a rod for your own back mate backing down and offering to do them trad.....stick to your guns.....

just say "dont pay me if your not happy with the clean once the glass had dried"......its worked every time a customer has been sceptical about wfp....TBH its not happened to me for years now....

as for getting established in your chosen area...i reckon 5 years and you should be compacting your work a bit by then.....28 years until your "part of the furniture"......?

I had a new one a while back who was against wfp, till she saw how much cleaner it all was wfp, especially the white plastics. 

I had a new one a while back who was against wfp, till she saw how much cleaner it all was wfp, especially the white plastics. 
Yea I know but only problem I’m having with there’s is that they saying the wfp is leaving to much water be hind on there wooden sills 

That’s what I thought but didn’t want to be cheeky to them

if you know what I mean 
Sorry! Own yourself, your business and your work methods. You don't have to be cheeky to own yourself. Start out letting customers dictate to you, you will be training yourself to submission and making a rod for your own back. Start as you mean to go on and you won't have to correct it later. That's what I think anyway.

Yea I know but only problem I’m having with there’s is that they saying the wfp is leaving to much water be hind on there wooden sills 
Nothing wrong with wiping down Wooden sills when you’ve finished, as long as it’s priced accordingly. 
I do it on a few. Downstairs only though. I leave it till the end , and whip round them all. It takes a couple of minutes. 
I realise it makes little difference, but the customers are happy, so it’s fine. 
Just make sure you stick a few quid on the price. 

Doing it on the ladders or mixing it up with wfp is how many of the established do it in our area 
once you ve been wfp for a while the last thing you want to be doing is climbing ladders when you dont need to....my ladders just get used for opening gates,the odd glass roof job or maybe an add on like a conny roof if access is needed....thats it...

once you ve been wfp for a while the last thing you want to be doing is climbing ladders when you dont need to....my ladders just get used for opening gates,the odd glass roof job or maybe an add on like a conny roof if access is needed....thats it...
Totally agree 

I want all water fed pole work lot easier then humping ladders around. 

im going to clean them with the WFP and say if your not happy don’t pay. 

as iv been thinking it’s going take more time for me getting ladders off vans ect when I can just get the pole out bash it off then next job 

could be thats how it is in your area ? in ours most everyone does a mix  .Weve  been going several yrs we have 1 water pole worker and 4 on ladder sets [ employees]
i spent 17 years on the ladders before switching to wfp 11 years ago.....i swapped the lot over within 6 months....in fact i was one of the first cleaners to use wfp on domestics in my area.....every other cleaner either slagged me off for using it or were too scared to make the switch themselves.......they ve all switched over now in the last few years.....

They don't get an option for me. It's WFP or nothing as I don't carry ladders anymore. I don't even own a set anymore. I still carry my BOAB with mop & squeegee and I still Trad some of my Bungalows but only because I (in capital letters) want to do them Trad as it's easier and quicker for me in that particular instance. And obviously cos they're bungalows.

When I switched over I was all in. WFP or nothing! Imagine if you fall off them ladders and your WFP system is looking at you saying, 'WTF you idiot I'm right here!' ?

Stick to your guns dude and get off those ladders! It's 2021 FFS! ?

Totally agree 

I want all water fed pole work lot easier then humping ladders around. 

im going to clean them with the WFP and say if your not happy don’t pay. 

as iv been thinking it’s going take more time for me getting ladders off vans ect when I can just get the pole out bash it off then next job 
Work the way you want to work not the way the customer wants you to work.  Your the expert, not them.  You wouldn't dream of hiring a builder and telling him how to build a wall, what tools he should use etc.  No different in our job.  WFP, if they don't like it fine, plenty of other customers out there that will gladly appreciate your work.

I've been doing it for two years now, best advice I can give you is the ones who insist you clean a certain way are the ones to just avoid.  They tend to be the problem customers from what I've found, they're the ones who will waste your time, accept to have them cleaned then cancel at the last minute because the gardener is coming, because some new born at the end of the road is sleeping or some other daft excuse.  

Do it your way and you'll be happy, do it their way and you'll regret it.  Just what I've found so far.  Same with pricing, anybody who tries to haggle, just walk.  Offer more money for less frequency, if they don't want it then just walk.

I'll be full by the end of this year with work.  That's with little effort and I'm at the higher price scale.  So 2.5 to 3 years is a realistic target to be established.  Last year I struggled to grow due to the lockdown so that put me back about 10 months I'd say.  With a little more effort and no lockdown I think I could have been full by the 2 year point.  

Regarding growth, it's like a snowball effect.  When you first start all your customers are coming from cold first contacts.  That is they are reading an advert and then contacting you.  Once you're half full I'd say half come from cold contact and half come from word of mouth, this is where is starts to grow faster and easier.  I had a recommendation last night and I've now got at least two quotes to do next week.  Last week I had two new customers who were recommendations.  The more customers you get the more recommendations you get, it gets to the point where you become lazy and can't be bothered advertising.  

Just be careful though, if you want a particular type of house and customer then you need to keep advertising, you can then pick up the jobs you actually want in the areas you want.  Recommendations can end up leading you off in a different direction over time.  So if you keep advertising then you will keep it all tight and in the areas you want with the fastest growth.

Work the way you want to work not the way the customer wants you to work.  Your the expert, not them.  You wouldn't dream of hiring a builder and telling him how to build a wall, what tools he should use etc.  No different in our job.  WFP, if they don't like it fine, plenty of other customers out there that will gladly appreciate your work.

I've been doing it for two years now, best advice I can give you is the ones who insist you clean a certain way are the ones to just avoid.  They tend to be the problem customers from what I've found, they're the ones who will waste your time, accept to have them cleaned then cancel at the last minute because the gardener is coming, because some new born at the end of the road is sleeping or some other daft excuse.  

Do it your way and you'll be happy, do it their way and you'll regret it.  Just what I've found so far.  Same with pricing, anybody who tries to haggle, just walk.  Offer more money for less frequency, if they don't want it then just walk.

I'll be full by the end of this year with work.  That's with little effort and I'm at the higher price scale.  So 2.5 to 3 years is a realistic target to be established.  Last year I struggled to grow due to the lockdown so that put me back about 10 months I'd say.  With a little more effort and no lockdown I think I could have been full by the 2 year point.  

Regarding growth, it's like a snowball effect.  When you first start all your customers are coming from cold first contacts.  That is they are reading an advert and then contacting you.  Once you're half full I'd say half come from cold contact and half come from word of mouth, this is where is starts to grow faster and easier.  I had a recommendation last night and I've now got at least two quotes to do next week.  Last week I had two new customers who were recommendations.  The more customers you get the more recommendations you get, it gets to the point where you become lazy and can't be bothered advertising.  

Just be careful though, if you want a particular type of house and customer then you need to keep advertising, you can then pick up the jobs you actually want in the areas you want.  Recommendations can end up leading you off in a different direction over time.  So if you keep advertising then you will keep it all tight and in the areas you want with the fastest growth.
In a nutshell. ??

i cant believe how quick i can clean these days with wfp...literally seconds for some windows.....to get the ladders off is just not something i want to do to clean an upper window...im making a lot more money for less hours and effort using WFP.....

personally i think some window cleaners havent got much confidence in WFP and are scared of losing customers if they dont do as the customer dictates rather than standing their ground.....you ll find most will be good,solid customers after the first clean is done if you stick to your guns...

of course you will get the odd one who insist you dont use WFP.....let them go and find a trad cleaner then.....they are getting rare as hens teeth in some areas!?

Back