Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladders without stabilisers?

Just found that in 2018 the Class 1 changed to an EU spec!!!! 

Under new EN131 standards, any leaning ladder over 3m will require a stabiliser bar!!!!!!

Stabilizers should be used for ladders. It may be a pain in the a** but bodily injury or worse would be more of a pain.

This coming from a ladder monkey, with absolutely no fear of heights but I have a healthy fear of the fall.

Safety should always come first.

Stabilizers should be used for ladders. It may be a pain in the a** but bodily injury or worse would be more of a pain.

This coming from a ladder monkey, with absolutely no fear of heights but I have a healthy fear of the fall.

Safety should always come first.
The fall is fine..it's the hitting the ground that hurts lol.

I've used ladders since 1991 and fell a few times and have the bent fingers etc to show for it.

Falling isn't fun which is why I only use ladders for access nowadays. 

Wouldn't climb a ladder now without stabilisers on it.

If possible I use my ankalad stabiliser and microlite standoff on the roof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed stabiliser bars are hopless for window cleaning. Most of the time the footing area in people gardens are small, crowded with plant pots and garden furniture or is uneven. Try Titan ladders.

They are definitely not a legal requirement by the the way. ?

You are right. 

There is no legal requirement to conform to standards in the UK but safety bodies such as Trading Standards and the HSE will expect manufacturers to comply. It is best practice to use new en131 standard ladders, for the safety of yourself or your employees.

If you ever have an accident and HSE are called they will not look kindly on non certified equipment being used. Old class 1 ladders (BS 2037 and BS 1129) are still acceptable to use as EN131 is not retrospective. So if you have class 1 ladders in good condition then HSE can't have a problem with the ladder itself! 

I do agree that windy use around domestic properties isn't as easy as HSE would like to think, however their argument could be that you shouldn't be using ladders as other methods are available - be that wfp or trad on a pole!

I am not saying I agree or trying to start an argument just pointing things out so people are aware. Everyone makes their own assessments of what is safe and what is not many many times every day - from crossing roads, pulling out of junctions, waving poles in the air to using ladders.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right. 

There is no legal requirement to conform to standards in the UK but safety bodies such as Trading Standards and the HSE will expect manufacturers to comply. It is best practice to use new en131 standard ladders, for the safety of yourself or your employees.

If you ever have an accident and HSE are called they will not look kindly on non certified equipment being used. Old class 1 ladders (BS 2037 and BS 1129) are still acceptable to use as EN131 is not retrospective. So if you have class 1 ladders in good condition then HSE can't have a problem with the ladder itself! 

I do agree that windy use around domestic properties isn't as easy as HSE would like to think, however their argument could be that you shouldn't be using ladders as other methods are available - be that wfp or trad on a pole!

I am not saying I agree or trying to start an argument just pointing things out so people are aware. Everyone makes their own assessments of what is safe and what is not many many times every day - from crossing roads, pulling out of junctions, waving poles in the air to using ladders.
Thanks for that.

I was completely unaware that any changes had been made to the safety ratings requirements.

All I know is the ladders I have used for 15 years has met safety requirements up to now. They also still sell them, so can't imagine its illegal.

I can see changes have been made to the EN classifications , I found this quite helpful, that others might want a read it.

https://www.wernerco.com/eu/latest-en131-standards#:~:text=Ladder standards have changed.,a load capacity of 150kg.

But honestly, for what I do, a bar would be a hazard and get in the way, also a wfp, trad pole isn't always a reasonable alternative in every situation.

Fixed stabiliser bars are hopless for window cleaning. Most of the time the footing area in people gardens are small, crowded with plant pots and garden furniture or is uneven. Try Titan ladders.

But definitely a lot safer.

Move some of the **** out the way lol.

I'm a qualified climber and abseiler from the british army so I'm pretty sure I know my safety precautions lol.

Thanks for that.

I was completely unaware that any changes had been made to the safety ratings requirements.

All I know is the ladders I have used for 15 years has met safety requirements up to now. They also still sell them, so can't imagine its illegal.

I can see changes have been made to the EN classifications , I found this quite helpful, that others might want a read it.

https://www.wernerco.com/eu/latest-en131-standards#:~:text=Ladder standards have changed.,a load capacity of 150kg.

But honestly, for what I do, a bar would be a hazard and get in the way, also a wfp, trad pole isn't always a reasonable alternative in every situation.
I have no problems with ladders but that is wrong..you can always find a way to clean with a wfp. I just choose not to sometimes.

But definitely a lot safer.

Move some of the **** out the way lol.

I'm a qualified climber and abseiler from the british army so I'm pretty sure I know my safety precautions lol.
Its not just about the obsticals. Some things like hard landscaping for instance steps etc can't be just moved, but its more about how much harder it is to level with a 3ft bar. The wider the feet are on a hill or slope the further off the lower end will be, which has to be levelled.

I have no problems with ladders but that is wrong..you can always find a way to clean with a wfp. I just choose not to sometimes.
No parking, windows above flat roofs or garages, wooden frames that leak, communal properties where your not doing the bottom or basement flat, windows with bars, glass balustrades, raised balconies. Not to mention no suitable parking at your home to fill and charge a system.

Wfp isn't always a suitable alternative to ladders.

Let's not do a ladders are banned and you absolutely must use a wfp discussion. 

Its not just about the obsticals. Some things like hard landscaping for instance steps etc can't be just moved, but its more about how much harder it is to level with a 3ft bar. The wider the feet are on a hill or slope the further off the lower end will be, which has to be levelled.

No parking, windows above flat roofs or garages, wooden frames that leak, communal properties where your not doing the bottom or basement flat, windows with bars, glass balustrades, raised balconies. Not to mention no suitable parking at your home to fill and charge a system.

Wfp isn't always a suitable alternative to ladders.

Let's not do a ladders are banned and you absolutely must use a wfp discussion. 
I wouldn't do that as I use any method I need to.

Just saying with van mount and backpack etc I don't have jobs I can't do.

Last week my ladder fell and bounced off a new car, only the bonnet was damaged. I was distracted by the customer wanting something extra done. I was very lucky because it could have been a person it hit. I have decided to take someone with me if I need to use the ladder or go on a roof. Not sure how much it will cost me yet but it was a lesson in ladder safety.

The best ladders for window cleaning are pointer ladders from Ramsey.They are designed purposely for window cleaning.Expensive but last a life time.
I agree, take a bit to get use to stacking and unstacking them. You also have to get use to the flex ..its a shock the first few times . It's amazing all the benefits though.

The best ladders for window cleaning are pointer ladders from Ramsey.They are designed purposely for window cleaning.Expensive but last a life time.
I agree, take a bit to get use to stacking and unstacking them. You also have to get use to the flex ..its a shock the first few times . It's amazing all the benefits though.

Back