Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Changing customers from trad to wfp

Murphy

hi guy looking for a bit of advice and reassurance. I’ve been cleaning windows traditional for 17 years now , I think the time has come to change to wfp for the safety aspect . I’m a little bit concerned how my customers will react to the change. any tips and advice that anyone can offer would be great thanks 

I would just do it if they aren't in don't say anything, if they are just explained why you are changing over and brief explanations of how it works , explain that now the frames will also be much cleaner and it’s more environmentally friendly as no detergents are used , when I swapped over I had around 1,200 customers I think I lost about 10 who didn’t like water on the house walls and paths , it will take you a while to get up to speed with wfp and initially you will think you have made a huge mistake but once you have done first cleans on them all which will take a lot longer the second and third clean you will be much faster , it was the best change I have ever done for my business.

First let me say I haven't actually started yet (been shieldiing!!!) so this is my opinion and what I have learned.

If you have been a windy for 17 years then your customers think you are doing a good job or you wouldn't still be in business. So first thing to to get a wfp setup, a source of pure (be that making your own or from a supplier) get a backpack and practice on your home. Once you are confident you can do as good a job as you do trad then you are ready to convert your custys. I would start with just a few of your loyal custys first. Explain that you are not getting any younger and that wfp will do as good a job, maybe better than trad plus it's so much safer that working off ladders. You might also be doing a better job at cleaning the frames depending on how you trad. Obviously the main difference to your custy is that the windows will be wet when you have finished but explain that it's pure water so will not leave any marks when it's dry. One other plus point might be that you will be able to reach windows that you can't trad, i.e. over connys, velux etc?

When I made the switch to WFP back in 2007 after 30 years of trad cleaning, I was the only one in my immediate area using it, so I felt I needed to let them all know by means of a note briefly explaining the benefits and why I was making the change.  I did lose 1% of my customers but within a very short period of time I'd picked up more than I lost when people began to see the benefits. 

There are still one or two that say they prefer trad but also understand that my safety has to come first.  Funny thing is they don't make a fuss when I WFP the downstairs as well.

The difference now is that most window cleaners use it, so people aren't usually ignorant of the system.  They might not know how it works but because most of us use it they don't often question it.  I just occasionally get someone say, 'Don't you dry it?'  To which I reply, 'No. It's pure water. Just let it air dry. You'll be amazed at the finish.'

If they look a little sceptical, I might add, 'Please don't be tempted to put a cloth over it. If there's a problem when they dry please don't hesitate to let me know.'

You don't want to be flippant, but the more confident you are about the system the less likely your customers will be to be a problem

It shouldn't be questionable these days as there is so many wfpers about these days, I tried explaining things over 13 years ago to custys they weren't bothered as long as the windows were clean. 

As PJJ says, it may feel like a mistake in the beginning, but once you're up and running you're earnings should increase by 50% at least. A first clean takes time, but it's an investment. I know trad window cleaners who've made the change, and they're happier in their work. I'm one of them ?

Tell your customers that wfp is the standard method of window cleaning now, it’s new and improved window cleaning. Then list all the reasons why that is the case, as mentioned by others. But make sure you’ve practised first so they aren’t disappointed.

A few years ago I got a new house to clean. The previous window cleaners had used wfp but apparently had just splashed over the windows, completing the job in no time. The owner got rid of them and wanted his windows cleaned traditionally, because of his bad experience with wfp. I agreed, because at the time I needed the money.

When the time came when I could afford to dump all my traditional work, I asked the guy if he was happy for me to move over to wfp. I thought he would dump me, but he said, well I’ve seen that you're a perfectionist, so I trust you that it will be ok. And I’ve still got that job today.

What I’m trying to say is after 17 years I’m sure that you’ve built up a good reputation, and your customers will know that you’re not now suddenly going to be providing shoddy work.

I ended up doing the first wfp for free to change them over. Had a few that still wouldn't convert so I told them I can't use a ladder because its against H&S rules so I did the wfp and went back and did them again because of the vents. Its now accepted as self-evident and if anyone complains I go back and redo them or they can get someone else who uses a ladder. When you begin to make good money each week then you rise in confidence and don't take any hassle. Viewed 4 jobs today and one tried to beat me down but she realised it was no use, I said why would I drop a 300 job to do yours for 200, all I'm doing is losing a ton to do yours. When you put it to them in a logical way and they continue then I don't hang about. Money gives a person confidence but it can also make someone arrogant and then it all begins to go downhill.

I switched over 3 years ago during/after the beast from the east in 2018. Before that I was Trad with my business partner. We split the business and I went full WFP and ditched those ladders. Here's what happened to me....

You're most likely gonna encounter 3 types of customers.

1) The ones who couldn't give a sh1t what you use as long as you do a good job and the windows are clean.

2) The ones who are a little bit/quite concerned and will come out and start asking questions.

3) The ones who HATE the darn thing and will cancel on the spot. 

Now, obviously the no.1's are fine. You'll most likely have a good idea of these type of laid back customers on your round but be careful cos some of them might surprise you and be no.3's.

The no.2's are the ones that can go either way when they come out and voice their concerns. It's up to YOU to explain the system and, without using the word 'convince', try to help them understand what it's all about. If you do a good job then you SHOULD have nothing to worry about...but these one's will most likely be checking your work when it dries off so again...do a good job! If they stick with you...after a few cleans they'll settle in nicely and you can stop worrying.

The no.3's...be prepared for them to almost run out the door when they see that water or they might even stop you before you start if they see you coming with that pole & brush! Take a deep breath, thank them for their custom this far and move on. You can MAYBE ask them for a chance to see if they like the results but in my experience their mind is already made up and they won't last long before eventually cancelling. 

Don't worry about the customers you lose. Always remember you'll pick up many more who will know from the get go you use the WFP system and therefore can't complain.

I'm not gonna lie it was a really stressful time for me when I made the switch. Not only did I have to learn to use the WFP which was stressful enough but you also have to do this while dealing with everything I've just laid out. I'd say it was a good 6 months at least before I really started to settle into the WFP. I questioned it MANY times if I had done the right thing! Especially when I was losing some long term customers. But I hung on....thank GOD! Best thing I've ever done was switching over. Be confident and good luck!! 

@MurphyI’m part time so don’t have as many customers as most. I switched some customers and some were absolute fine and some weren’t. But I did find the reliable customers stayed and the fair-weather ones didn’t so it was no real loss. I have however very rarely worked from a ladder after I had a small fall, so at worst I’ll pole the upstairs windows and squeegee the ground floor. No customer has ever complained that I did that.

When you switch, be confident about the method, it genuinely is better. But be prepared to back up your assertion with a very good clean because they will be taking detailed notice the first clean or two.

This is problematic, as you will be obviously inexperienced with the method and you'll be cleaning windows that have never been wfp'd so they will be a lot harder to get perfect. 

It's going to be a hard slog getting them all cleaned and switched over and will take you longer than it did trad, but it will be worth it as it will be much much faster after that. 

I find it takes around 3 x longer doing a first clean than a regular maintenance clean. Just remember, the only reasons your window won't dry perfectly (assuming you have pure water) are not cleaning the glass thoroughly enough and rinsing it properly or dirty water dripping down from the top frame or vents above. Any water dripping down is to be assumed as dirty even if it looks clean; for our purposes even tap water isn't clean enough. I find that in the majority of cases, it's the water dripping down from above that causes spotting. 

If you don't have time to be able to do a deep clean on every house straight away, convert one section of your round at a time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As PJJ says, it may feel like a mistake in the beginning, but once you're up and running you're earnings should increase by 50% at least. A first clean takes time, but it's an investment. I know trad window cleaners who've made the change, and they're happier in their work. I'm one of them ?
Same here! go for it!

Lost a customer today but it was a flat with a toxic person below so happy days. Later on I got a call from a flat next to me who wants a monthly clean so one in one out. The other thing is once you have changed over to wfp then the new customer doesn't know anything else and seems to like the idea their frames get cleaned.

Back